2014 Sorento SX-L, AWD, A great choice!
By stuball45 on
2014 Kia Sorento SXL 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl 6A)
Our new 2014 Kia Sorento SX-L AWD is our second Sorento. We bought a 2011 EX V6 FWD in April 2010 and put about 60K (happy) miles on it. It had all of the available "bells and whistles" at the time but the new 2014 SX-L is a huge advancement in nearly every category. It is so feature-rich, comfortable, powerful and well finished that I think it beats the competition from Honda, Acura, BMW etc. for thousands of dollars less. Admittedly, this is the top of the line so the Nappa leather and panoramic sun roof won't be found on every model. Aside from the many features on the SX-L, I would strongly recommend the AWD version. It really makes a positive difference in how the vehicle drives.
Favorite Features
Our favorite features are almost too numerous to mention. The engine, transmission and AWD are really superb. The UVO "infotainment" system is amazing. Our earlier Sorento had Sirius radio, navigation etc. but the new vehicle is orders of magnitude more sophisticated. A small feature that is indicative of this sophistication is the fact that you can stream music from your smart phone to the Sorento's excellent sound system with no cable. We like the 19" chrome mag wheels, the heated and cooled leather seats, the panoramic sun roof. The third row seats came on the vehicle we purchased. They are ok for small stature adults and kids. "Two thumbs up" for this vehicle!
Suggested Improvements
There are only two "improvements" I would suggest. The first is sort of silly but I would like to see dual exhaust pipes instead of one. The 290 hp V6 is powerful and the handling is quite good but dual exhaust would look cool. My second suggestion is to take a page out of Honda's book by recessing the Navigation screen so it is in the shade. The navigation, back-up camera etc. are superb but if the sun is shining directly on the screen it can interfere with the clarity of the image.
By stuball45
on 06/11/14 21:03 PM (PDT)

We have now had the Sorento SXL reviewed above for ten months and driven it 15,000 miles. We love it! All the good things I said when it was new still apply. This is a really luxurious and strong vehicle. We have driven it both around town and on longer trips; I can't really think of anything negative to say about it. I have looked at the features of comparable SUVs from the big names like Mercedes and Lexus and while these are undoubtedly fine vehicles they don't have all of the features of the SX-L and cost thousands more. All you get is the name and the status; I don't need it.