Stop Bashing the MPG Numbers!
By kenjill on
2013 Kia Sorento EX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)
People, please stop bashing the MPG numbers with this vehicle. Our Sorento vehicle gets the MPG figures, as advertised. I bet there is a direct corrolation between those who get "poor" MPG and bad driving habits ("jack-rabbit" acceleration, braking too hard, using AC or heat too much, and yes, texting while driving, etc). I also own a Kia Optima SX Turbo and I average 30-32 MPG per tank...let me repeat that - over 30 MPG with a Turbo! If you improve your driving habits, then your "real world" MPG numbers will go up considerably. Otherwise, the vehicle is fine so far...a great value for the money.
By trippingman
on 02/12/13 10:28 AM (PST)

I find your comment somewhat ignorant. I appreciate that you like the vehicle. However, don't assume how others may drive their vehicle. This is my second Kia Sorrento. I had a 2011 EX AWD V6 and now have a 2012 EX AWD GDI4. I can tell you from personal experience that the gas mileage is worse with the 4 cyl. We are not lead footed drivers and consistently drive the vehicle in the ECO range. Regardless, the mileage is not what KIA advertised. If this was just some random frivolous complaining, KIA would not be the defendant in at least 2 class action lawsuits involving several different models pertaining to poor gas mileage. I'm glad you get good mileage....many of us are not. Remember don't assume!!!!!!!

By richardar6
on 02/17/13 08:46 AM (PST)

Thank you for your post. I agree with you 100%. I have a lead foot and have never got Advertised MPG on any of the many vehicles I've owned, so I don't expect to. I love stomping the gas on my V6 and can live with the consequences (21 mpg avg). Did Kia flub the gas mileage on the GDI 4 cylinder? Most likely. Do consumers contribute to lower MPG's? Absolutely. I don't care how "gingerly" you think you drive- there are too many variables. The Sorento is a tall vehicle trying to slice through air. The faster you go, the worse your mpg will be. Is the wind blowing? Are you , going up a hill? how bad is the traffic? Elevation? Humidity? etc....etc... but the worst thing of all- that little 4 cylinder is trying to move a 3800 lb vehicle (the laws of physics haven't magically been overcome). That little engine has to work hard to get things going regardless of how good people think they are driving. Also- people have been complaining about MPG's on forums for every car manufacturer- since, well- ALWAYS! They always will because the way EPA tests mpg's (regardless of Kia's little flub) doesn't apply to the way everyone drives(or the many variables). The MPG's are suggestions, not laws. The fine print "your mileage may vary" falls on deaf ears. If I would have gotten the 4 cylinder, I'm sure my mileage would be in the teens- but I'm also the minority in understanding why this would be true. Ignorance isn't always bliss.

By bay4side
on 07/14/14 18:27 PM (PDT)

The mileage is bad. I don't do much driving these days so it's not a concern. If I did a lot of miles the poor mileage would be a major problem. Having said this, I do enjoy the 2013 Sorento V6 FWD a lot .

By drivven
on 03/01/13 12:17 PM (PST)

The original poster did not state whether he is quoting the mileage as shown by the on board computer, or his own calculations based on mileage covered by the amount of gallons at fill up. That is the ONLY way to figure mileage. With our Sorento the on board computer is right around 2mpg high! It makes you feel good when driving but when you do the math, it's just not there. Also, my driving habits are just like one of the follow-on posters. I'm very aware of the ECO light and make every attempt to make sure it's on when I'm moving, ie. paying close attention to my driving habits. But still with perhaps 40-50%% city driving I'm lucky to get 20-21mpg. I don't live in a particularly hilly area but just the slightest elevation change will often reflect poorly on the mileage. Another factor just could be the gasoline blend where one lives. I'm convinced that the blends used in metro areas, of which I am a resident, will be of a less efficient variety translating to poorer mileage, just as the ethanol-based fuels produce. So, the factors are many and those that actually do produce mpgs close to what KIA has originally advertised should consider themselves extremely lucky, or are just figuring the mileage improperly.