Kia Sorento GDI 2.4L LX 2012
By neelm on
2013 Kia Sorento LX 4dr SUV w/Convenience Pkg (2.4L 4cyl 6A)
Just leased this from Kia Sacramento, black color. I have done about 800 miles in the last week and have mixed feelings about the suv. I got the GDI assuming I would get a mixed mileage of about 25mpg but I am only getting about 19-23 mpg city and highway. This is a letdown for sure. I hope it increase down the line as the engine breaksin. The power seems adequate with 1-2 ppl in the car but with 4-5 ppl the car feels underpowered and I wish I had got the v6 engine if I was to get 20mpg anyway. The ride is stiff and tends to wear you down and i feel tired after a trip which was never the case in my well sprung camry. UVO has issues with bluetooth conectivity.
Favorite Features
1. Looks and Price 2. Interior design is polished 3. Manual triptronic gearbox with automatic 4. UVO 5. Boot space
Suggested Improvements
1. Softer suspension would be great 2. GDI feels underpowered with load and 5 passengers 3. Low MPG of 20~22 despite promising 22-32 4. Somehow I still keep feeling I am not sure I made the right choice with a kia
By basel1120
on 08/21/12 08:56 AM (PDT)

No offense intended but I strongly suspect your disappointing mpg may be a combination of driving style and carrying "4-5 ppl" in the vehicle on a regular basis. Folks coming from lighter and/or more powerful vehicles in search of better mileage often carry over their driving style and expect to achieve the same kind of acceleration in a much heavier vehicle. Consciously or unconsciously this often leads to a "heavier foot" on the pedal to achieve the same "seat of the pants" feel. Furthermore, you should realize that transporting "4-5 ppl" is not the load on which the mpg estimates are based. Adding that heavy a load to a smaller engine may also trigger a heavier foot on the throttle. As noted, no criticism intended but the laws of physics are difficult to evade. You have a two ton+ vehicle with 4-5 occupants and your feeling that the Sorento is "underpowered" may well be leading you to try to compensate with more throttle. That's not a free lunch. You'll have to pay for it with mpg's.