Used 2013 Kia Sorento SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Kia Sorento SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sorento model:

Kia should be sued for lying about mpg's!
By kialies1

2013 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

While the Sorento is comfortable, quiet, quick, and well appointed, the poor gas mileage is a deal breaker! If we had known what it was going to get, which is about 23mpg's at best on highway, we never would've bought it. The number they gave at the dealership was 32mpg, which now, after being sued, they have adjusted to 30, which puts the Sorento below competitors instead of ahead. But we can't even get close to 30 ever!! Our Volvo gets exactly what it says on the sticker no matter the driving conditions. Don't be fooled! If you want it for other reasons, go ahead. But don't think they are competitive with Honda, Toyota, or others in this class. They continue to lie. It seems criminal.

Reduce the mpg figures further and give people their money back if they want it. Stand behind your product, not your lawyers.

2013 Sorento LX with 2.4L GDI engine
By drivven

2013 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4dr SUV w/Convenience Pkg (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased the Sorento in September and since have put on 3900 miles. The mpg is not as advertised even tho I am a judicious driver, making sure the ECO indicator is on for over 95% of my driving. My combined hiway/city mileage is perhaps 21mpg (hand calculated and not read off the display). The handling is surprisingly good for a vehicle this size and shape. The performance is adequate although my previous vehicle was a BMW 540i so there is no comparison there. I'm still trying to get used to the site lines especially when backing up. The backup camera is "useful" altho I still prefer to look back through the rear window when backing. Interior; great. Exterior; nice lines.

The convenience of a large enough storage space to carry my golf clubs sideways. Other SUVs this size do not accommodate golf clubs sideways. The UVO gimmick is nice although I've had to replace its guts already because it lost my jukebox capability. I love where the USB port is; not buried in the compartment between the seats. Bluetooth is handy. The ride is very good and the handling is a surprise, a pleasant surprise. The Koreans are on to something here. The fit and finish are close to exceptional. The vehicle does not look cheap inside although I know the materials are not top of the line. The higher seating position has made ingress/egress more comfortable for my ailing hip.

The one disappointment, other than the gas mileage which KIA is compensating me for, is the lack of an external temperature indicator. If I'd have paid $3000 more I would've gotten this feature along with individual driver/passenger temp controls, but instead I paid $10 for a remote thermometer and mounted the sending unit in an area exposed to the outside. It's not as accurate as the factory one but it's one heckuva lot cheaper! Rear site lines are still a puzzle to me. The rear camera is ok but I have trouble looking ahead when I'm backing up. Old habits die hard.

it's a great vehicle except the shock absorber
By tazirose

2013 Kia Sorento SUV SX 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

we just purchased a 2013 kia sorento and we thought since we have the SX it will be great. only to find out that it gets really bumpy on the road. we had a 2008 toyota rav4 and compare to the shock, the ride is smooth. if i could just switch the shock absorber from my rav4 to the sorento and my car will be PERFECT!!

All the feature and the interior & exterior design are awesome except the ride it really stiff.

Really like this car but with minor tweaks it would be great
By mkc1

2013 Kia Sorento SUV SX 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I really like this car. It looks good and the ride is smooth and very quite. The V6 has good get up and go. I test drove the 4 cylinder GTL and felt it lacked power. This model comes fully loaded and has great features. It doesn't however get the stated gas mileage. I get around 22 in the city and 24 - 25 highway. I recommend this car for the price and the warranty but it would be an awesome car with a few tweaks.

The back up camera and side mirrors that auto adjust. Air cooled Seats Heated Steering Wheel Keyless entry and start Full view sunroof in the back.

The seats are too hard and the front seats edged on the sides angle up too high causing problems with sitting for long periods of time. Especially if you have sciatic nerve issues or back pain. They are not nearly as comfortable as my prior Honda Odyssey van. The cruise control is not at all smooth, it excellortes really fast and doesn't slow down fast enough. I would not suggest inexperienced drivers use this feature. Improvements need to be made to the sunroof when it's open. It creates a lot of wind noise and makes it way too loud especially at higher speeds. As a result I don't open it very much although I would like to. Would love to see a little more leg room between rows.

Poor Reliability and Poor Service
By neveragain727

2013 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4dr SUV w/Convenience Pkg (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We bought a new 2012 Kia Sorento for our daughter in college in 08/2011. She put 9,800 miles on the car so far with all the normalized services being up to date. This Saturday 10/27/2012, she drove from Miami to Naple, and this car died on I-75! Thank the Lord that neither she nor her friend got hurt! She had it towed to Fuccillo Kia dealership in Cape Coral, FL. This dealership did the initial evaluation that day, but could not diagnosed the reason why the car died! Thus, my 20 year old daughter had to leave the car in the Cape Coral Kia dealership, and no one at this dealership offered to help her getting a loaner/ rental car through Kia warranty coverage! My daughter had to ask her friend to drive from Miami (an hour and 45 minutes away) to pick her up and bring her back to Miami that evening! Of course, nothing was done on Sunday. On Monday, the Cape Coral Kia dealership had to ask that we should contact our Kia dealership in Clearwater to fax all the service records to them as all the Kia dealerships'service databases are separated with no connectivity or sharing capability among them. I called the National Kia Customer Service to ask for help as the Clerwater Kia dealership did not respond initially to our request. The toll-free National Kia Customer Service lady said that Kia National headquarter does not have any data on services at any of their dealerships, but she gave me a case # and her extension to call back or communication, which I thought initially as being very nice and helpful ( I even did a survey for her and gave her high marks!) I have to call the Clearwater Kia dealership's service manager to ask for help in faxing the service records to the Cape Coral Kia dealership to finally getting this done. After reviewing the well documented 3 services (on 08/11/11, 1/13/2012, and 06/11/2012), the Cape Coral Kia dealership agreed that we have had the car well-maintained by a Kia dealership during our short ownership, but th engine died fro unknown reason. The service manager there suggested that they will have to rebuilt the engine! We asked if this issue had been reported on other Kia Sorentos, and he replied that he does not or aware of any national recall nor issue with the Kia Sorento having premature engine failure. We asked that the engine should be replaced with a new engine from Kia factory in the Atlanta, Georgia plant in USA, rather from a rebuilt engine. The manager said that he will try to request for that. We requested that while the car being serviced under a Kia warranty-issue if my daughter could get a rental or loaner car for her to get to class at college. The dealership reported that they could do a rental car up to $30/day coverage only. However, since our daughter is 20 yo, she could not rent the car from any rental companies! The dealership insisted that they have no loaner car available for her to use! I called the Kia toll-free national customer service four times (twice on Monday 10/29/12 and twice on Tuesday 10/30/2012) using the previously given extension # to the service lady, Melinda. I was not able to get in touch with her either time, and upon calling back other customer service agents reviewed our case #, reporting that nothing was in our case report! So why created a case # and giving me an extension #!? At this time, we are waiting for Kia's decisions to replace the engine, and to consider helping our daughter a way to get back from Miami to Cape Coral! With this occurence of the failed engine on a new 2012 Kia Sorento with 9,800 miles after one year of ownership, I have to say that I am very disappointed in this car and with the above service issues from Kia National Customer Service Center! Thus, I would NOT recommend this car nor this car company to anyone at this time! Hopefully, this automotive company will learn to improve their quality and service in the future!

Appearance

Need to have reliability and better national customer service!