Worth the wait - best non-luxury mid-size SUV value
By mhamm on
2012 Kia Sorento LX 4dr SUV w/Convenience Pkg (2.4L 4cyl 6A)
I'd been waiting for some of the updates in the 2012 Sorento specifically the 4-cyl GDI engine lifted from the Optima rated at 191 HP and 22/32mpg - I don't know of another mid-size SUV that comes close. The other feature was the availability of the DFD shocks that make a big difference in the ride, which were originally only available on the SX model. Had the SUV 24-hours now and we are very pleased.
Favorite Features
Love that you can buy an LX and a package and get great features like streaming blue tooth for your iPhone, Sirius radio, heated seats, and backup camera with sensors to name a few. Third row seat meet our infrequent need to load a couple extra friends. Cloth seats are very comfortable with lateral and lumbar support. I am 6'4" and have no issues with space or ergonomics. Easy to use controls and attractive interior design top off a great vehicle and great value from my perspective. We were down-sizing from a 2005 Sienna and we prefer the Sorento's ride and agility more. It had all the safety features we were looking for a full size spare and we love buying a vehicle built in Georgia USA!
Suggested Improvements
The two improvemnts that come immediately to mind are outside temperature reading (though its on the iPhone) and softer materials just below the windows were I rest my arm, though the arm rests are padded well. A detractor for us is that every model comes with black floor carpeting and footwells rather than the primary interior beige or gray, which is going to show way more dirt. Some of the exterior colors could be better too. I'm not a big fan of the Tuscan Olive or White Beige - its ashamed to see these colors wasted on weird variations when some competitors have gorgeous colors. We finally settled on the Dark Cherry and a beige Interior which looks pretty sharp even with the black
By luvtoyota10
on 07/21/11 09:05 AM (PDT)

My aunt has the 2011 kia sorento with the dohc I4 with 175 hp and its fantastic it has enough pep for the highway and in the city gets good gas mileage also. I was looking at a 2012 with the Gdi and it has great power.

By mhamm
on 07/06/11 15:56 PM (PDT)

BTW, I was mistaken on the full-size spare in my review. I think there is room for one but on closer inspection it was a temporary tire underneath. Wife reports being very pleased with the vehicle during the trip.

By mhamm
on 07/06/11 15:55 PM (PDT)

I think the Sorrento 4-cyl has sufficient power even when loaded but I didn't try the 6-cyl and you will hear the 4-cyl work when pressed. As with all high-mileage SUVs the ratings seem a bit overstated but I think they are a valid benchmark for comparison to competitive offerings - 19/29mpg might be more realistic. So far I've been getting great milage around town 20-25mpg but my wife and girls are enjoying the brisk acceleration and agility over the Sienna so we are not seeing stellar milage over-all yet. On highway mileage, the Sorrento just went 575 miles to Chicago yesterday with three passengers + 300lbs of gear. 200lbs of which was on top in a VERY large but aerodynamic Thule carrier - they got 25mpg which is pretty good I think given the extra wind resistance and average speeds in excess of 70mph most of the way. With all three rows in use there is barely any room for extra gear unless a seat is flipped down, but we knew that and will use the carrier twice a year.

By jason_noel
on 07/05/11 13:15 PM (PDT)

Hi, thanks for the review! My family is looking at this same vehicle. We have 2 small children and want the 3rd row for in case we have another child in the next 5 years. I'll have 2 questions. 1. MPG- are you seeing those extra MPG with the GDI engine? 2. The GDI gets a little more HP and torque. In your estimation, does it have enough power with a car full of passengers and gear? Does it strain to get up hills with the additional weight? I am overseas, coming back in mid AUG and will have to purchase a vehicle quickly. Any feedback or new impressions you have would be greatly appreciated!

By khsmurthy
on 07/06/11 23:34 PM (PDT)

Hi, thanks for posting review. How much you paid for this vehicle, exluding taxes, any 0.9% apr or incentives.