POOR gas mileage
By horse8 on
2012 Kia Sorento EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)
Excuses by Bairl Kia in Pgh for poor gas mileage: the snow, the hills, and the government sets those gas mileage ranges! I cannot get over 20mpg on the highway going 70mph. I bought this vehicle for the listed gas mileage. Not even close! The ride is hard. It has the bells and whistles but I would have liked what was advertised by Kia. I am disappointed.
Favorite Features
heated seats and navigation system
Suggested Improvements
Better gas mileage and smoother ride.
By showguy21
on 07/21/12 20:09 PM (PDT)

I've had the car for 2.5 weeks (800 miles) and I'm experiencing the same problems. My wife drives 16 miles to work and she's getting 18 miles a gallon. She tops out at a maximum speed of 50 mph on her daily commute. We are super disappointed in the mpg so far. It's frankly garbage fuel economy for a new car.

By jake3386
on 05/13/12 09:58 AM (PDT)

I think the problem with your gas mileage is not the car, but that you are going 70 MPH. The numbers that you see at the dealership are usually based off driving 55 MPH. Even if the speed limit is 70 MPH, people who are actually concerned with getting the best miles per gallon drive 55 or less. And are you actually driving 70 with cruise control. If not you are likely going as fast as 75 at times and miles per gallon goes down the faster you drive.

By hellcat2000
on 01/11/13 12:17 PM (PST)

Horse8. Have almost the same car, a 2012 Kia Sportage EX 2.4L. Like you the fuel economy has always been a big disappointment. It's not you, it's not your driving. The estimates are egregiously inflated. I get 6mpg less than advertised in all regimes of driving while conscientiously trying to drive as fuel efficient as possible. The estimates are fraudulent. I am so upset because I have never owned a KIA before and I only bought a Kia because of the great advantage in fuel economy over other companies like Ford and Chevy. Boy was I in for a nasty surprise. After dropping $28,000 I would expect Kia offer compensation better than the bottom dollar 1mpg compensation redass that they currently have concocted. The real word estimates that are actually close are on consumer reports. They estimate the Sportage and Sorrento much less, as low as 14-15mpg city. I really am upset Kia won't make good beyond some pocket change. I just hope you do your friends and family (and strangers for that matter) the favor of telling them about this so they don't get screwed like us.