2012 Kia Sorento Consumer Review: Like it but don't love it

2012 Kia Sorento - Consumer Review

2012 Kia Sorento

LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4-cyl. 6-speed Automatic w/Convenience Pkg)

Like it but don't love it
By jaime22 on

2012 Kia Sorento LX 4dr SUV w/Convenience Pkg (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Purchased a Sorento 3 months ago: was impressed with mpg promises and warranty.
Handles nice and looks sharp, but it's no where near perfection.
We have the GDI engine, seems almost sluggish at times.
22-32 mpg promised, the best we can do, even on long trips, is 25, so disappointed in that.
One of my biggest complaints is lack of a few basic features: no compass or outdoor temperature reading. (didn't notice on the test drive!) Really? Heated seats, bluetooth, backup camera, and no temp or compass? I miss them more than I thought I would.
Also needs more storage. Be thorough and know what you're getting-big variety in pkgs.
Like my title says:
like it but don't love it. (yet?)

Handles awesome. Not as "chunky" looking as competitive SUVS out there. Sharp appearance. Like the controls on the steering wheel. OK gas mileage, but should do better.

Make the temperature and compass reading standard! Need more storage to tuck things away in. More colors, would have liked to have a shade of red. Color choices were somewhat strange.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By supe_dad
on 02/25/12 16:54 PM (PST)

Almost every feature you mention is available in a package or standard on the EX model. I agree a temperature gauge and compass should be included, I'm sure after all the complaints they will add it - my 2007 volvo had this as a standard and showed a snow flake image if possible ice temperatures. I put a deposit on the olive green fully loaded in the olive green with the V6. My biggest concern being 6'4" is the roof is dropped a bit with the panoramic sun roof. They have a EV for about $3k less with AWD GDI 4 cylinder which I felt drove great, a bit better then the 2 FWD version. I'm curious if other tall people felt the sunroof took away some headroom, and if the AWD had slightly better power and performance then the FWD GDI engine. Overall, I was able to sell my Mercedes R350 for $24k cash (my down payment), which was a money pit, every time I went to the Mercedes dealer they charged $500 to $1k. I'm hoping the Kia will be much cheaper to keep on the road.