2012 Kia Sorento SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sorento model:
A Major Disappointment
By mdawgg on 09/11/11 16:39 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

After 150 miles the plastic seat belt retainer clips popped out of the interior sides they were supposed to be anchored to. I tried to put them back in but they would eventually pop out again. After 250 miles the engine began to idle rough, the transmission would go "clunk" when shifting up or down at slow speeds, and the car began to vibrate when driving on the highway. After 850 miles the rear view screen in the mirror for the backup camera began to have thick black lines across it. Sometimes the screen would go completely black. The car has only a little over 1000 miles on it, but I dread driving it for fear of having more things go wrong. I will never buy another Kia again.

Great suv for price
By samdog2 on 09/11/11 15:06 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4dr SUV w/Convenience Pkg (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We were looking to purchase a fuel effecient Suv and the 32 mpg advertised on the sticker was awesome. We went with the 2.4L 16-valve DOHC CVVT 4-cylinder engine. However, we have driven 3,000 miles and have yet to get any where near 32 mpg. This has been highway as well as back road miles. The average mileage is between 24 mpg and 25 mpg no matter where or how we drive. A relative purchased the Ex model a few weeks after us and he hasn't gotten 32 mpg either. Almost all of his miles are on the highway. Other wise we love the vehicle!!!!!!!!!

Good SUV
By jrgleason2003 on 08/31/11 18:14 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4dr SUV w/Convenience Pkg (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased the LX with the GDI Engine. So far I am impressed with the way it drives. I had a 2010 ford escape that was plagued with problems. Leith Kia in wendell, NC really worked with me to get me into a 2012 sorento. It really drives smooth, I'm not sure why they say its a firm ride...has anyone rode in a civic? Thats a firm ride. I got the LX w/convenience pkg for a little over 23K. My only complaint is that at low speeds (idle or under 5mph), the GDI engine seems a little "rough". However it does accelerate VERY smoothly (smoothest tranny I've felt) and gets up to speed adequately. The GDI engine won't blow your hair back or anything, but there is a little extra pep to get into traffic

2.4 GDI w/ convenience package
By broncob on 08/12/11 13:01 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

My wife and I recently purchased a 2012 Sorento. We were very impressed by the performance of the the new GDI engine and have found it more than adequate for getting around the mountains of Colorado. It also handles very well for a crossover. We got the convenience package and the interior is very well laid out and stylish. My only complaint is that the back seat room is a little tight if someone tall is up front, but the sacrifice is worth it for the 3rd row. Compared to other companies, you get so much more standard with Kia (bluetooth, USB, trim, etc.) We just traded in a 2010 Hyundai Tucson with a similar power plant and never had a single issue in 20,000 miles.

2012 Kia Sorento EX
By fernatt on 08/03/11 19:02 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Just picked up my first Kia product this past weekend. I was looking for a two wheel drive base EX, but no one seemed to have those, so I "settled" for the AWD. It takes a bit of a hit in MPGs, but for an AWD SUV, it's still getting great mileage. No complaints so far, but we'll see how it holds up over time compared with my usual Nissans.

Waited a LONG time for this!
By motowngirl1967 on 08/02/11 12:04 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I had to buy a new car--my 2003 Hyundai Sonata had 204,000 miles on it (and is STILL GOING STRONG) but the air conditioning died three years ago. A/C is a requirement here in Florida! After driving my 6 year old son around in it and making both of us miserable, I did my research and found that the Kia Sorento had the features on it that I wanted and, most importantly, at a price I could afford. I really liked the redesign, as well. I got great financing through Kia, as well. I have not regretted signing on the dotted line 48 hours ago, and I will not regret getting such a good-looking vehicle with a fantastic warranty.

Great MPG and All Wheel Drive
By alexr79 on 08/02/11 09:39 AM (PDT)

2012 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have 1,200 miles on my Kia Sorento LX. It has all wheel drive and the convenience package. I recntly took a couple of trips that were about 150 miles each in total distance. I am very impressed with the mileage I am getting. The most recent was yesterday where I got 30 mpg. The weather was calm and pleasant (no a/c) and I was driving 70 mph on the interstate. The trip before that was a week ago on country roads. The weather was very hot (a/c was used) and it was windy. I was driving 65 mph and I got 27 mpg

2012 KIA Sorento LX AWD
By lamplighter30 on 08/01/11 13:24 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4dr SUV w/Convenience Pkg (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Due to a blown headgasket in my 02 Liberty I had to move up my plans to buy a new car. I had been looking at the 12 Sorento for a few months. I am a very tall person, no way I can fit in a sedan, I have more than enough leg and head room, seats are very comfortable, excellent visibility front and back, 2.4 GDI engine, more than enough pickup to be able to merge into highway traffic. Have to wait for the winter to be able to evaluate the AWD system. Already took a 150 mile trip, estimated 26 mpg city/highway driving. Still too early to do a detailed evaluation, I'll do another post if anything changes.

Great Car but not as great mpg as they advertise !
By daneza on 07/27/11 10:36 AM (PDT)

2012 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4dr SUV w/Convenience Pkg (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car for the appealing advertisement : great price, great mpg for a large SUV. Very quiet, very comfortable, lots of features (i.e. ipod, ventilated seats, a third row, AC on second row and third row, improved safety bags, etc). The sticker advertise 24 – 34 with large prints and small prints up to 38 ! We said: for sure we can get out of it at least 30. I drive over 500 miles / week with a 90% highway. I already put 3000 miles on this car and the best I could get out of it was 25 mpg. On the instantaneous mpg display I can go up to 30, but the pure math of dividing the total mpg per tank with total amount of gallons of gas is the final mpg of a car. That is 25 mpg so far!

2012 Sorento SX AWD
By wjozz5 on 07/12/11 10:30 AM (PDT)

2012 Kia Sorento SUV SX 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Our current Sorento is our second SX AWD in 8 months. The first was a 2011 purchased in Nov. and exchanged under our states lemon law in June of 2011 for a 2012 SX AWD. Upon receipt of our new Sorento we noticed a few new features that were welcome improvements. The passenger side power seat, multiple temperature heated and cooled seats and seat/mirror memory are nice additions to a comfortably appointed interior. The cabin is quieter than our previous model. Overall performance and handling are unchanged from the previous year. In comparison to the Highlander and Edge, the Sorento is an exceptional performer. Fuel economy is great. We have high hopes this model will last more than 8 months.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Kia Sorento Suv in VA is:

$141 per month*