Used 2012 Kia Sorento SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Kia Sorento - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sorento model:

Falling Out Of Love
By jclaeys

2012 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Purchased 2012 used in Dec. with less than 5K on odo. Was impressed then with the value. Now at just 8K beginning to realize that this is a good vehicle, not a great one by any means. Probably first and foremost is service, it's just completely lacking, and until KIA becomes a household name it will probably remain so. I am disappointed with the gas mileage, as I am easy on the pedal and am only able to avg. 20MPG combined 50/50. I have made countless calls and visits to the dealer for an engine that "shakes" at idle with the brakes apllied. I have to place car in neutral at every stop light. Problem is, as long as there is no engine light on, no one knows what to do. Stay clear of "4"

Favorite Features

Fit and Finish, interior design, handsome exterior. Little body lean on turns

Suggested Improvements

Better Radio...Poor Quality. Had problems with it and Kia replaced it with a rebuilt that had Sirius service in the former owners name. Was unable place service in my name until former owners' contract ran out...really? Original tires are poor, replaced with Yokohamas. Expand service depts. and better train staff Ride, over bumps, feels like cheap nissan at times. GDI engine needs even more power. Car is already loosing it's punch.

The V-6 is the way to go
By andrewm1

2012 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I actually bought a 2011 4 cylinder Kia Sorento back in March 2011.The engine was to slugglish and was somewhat dissapointing.I traded it in a bought a 2012 6 cylinder this past December and am much happier now.The V6 276 horses are fantastic and it does not strain the engine.The ride is quiet and smooth.Absolutely NO body lean in sharper turns,unlike the old school SUVs from the 1990s where every turn felt like a potential rollover.Leg and headroom are great.Climate control is superb.Gas mileage takes a hit from the AWD but on the highway,I still get over 20 MPG,less in city driving.(NYC is tough on MPG for all cars period)

Favorite Features

Love the bluetooth and the controls on the steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

there should be a thermometer,the radio could be better and the rear visibility could be better.

Great value, overacheving car
By pmfarmer

2012 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased a 2012 Kia Sorento. I couldnít be happier with the purchase. I currently have 8,000 miles on it. Drives great in any weather, has all the extras(heated seats, auto dimming mirror, back up camera) without paying the luxury car prices. Donít waste your time with the 4-cylinder. I have the v6 AWD, it has excellent power when you need it, even when weighed down with luggage ect, for a week long trip for 4 adults. I have expierienced 23-24 mpg for the city and 25-26 mpg on the highway. Our times at the kia service center for oil changes has been great. Iíve had great luck with asian vehicles and the 2012 kia sorento has only set my standards higher.

POOR gas mileage
By horse8

2012 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Excuses by Bairl Kia in Pgh for poor gas mileage: the snow, the hills, and the government sets those gas mileage ranges! I cannot get over 20mpg on the highway going 70mph. I bought this vehicle for the listed gas mileage. Not even close! The ride is hard. It has the bells and whistles but I would have liked what was advertised by Kia. I am disappointed.

Favorite Features

heated seats and navigation system

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage and smoother ride.

Big Mistake
By justman

2012 Kia Sorento SUV SX 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought a 2012 Sorento and only had the car for two months when things started to go really bad with it. Broken axles, motor mounts, transfer case, and the side panel was coming off. Kia fixed these issues because it was covered under warranty. On top of that the SUV did not handle well especially in the rain. I drove it home to DC from Charlotte and we were so thankful we made it safe. I fought with Kia wanting to get another one because that one was a lemon for sure, but they did Nothing! So, I got rid of it and bought another make and model. I do NOT recommend Kia at all. To top it all off, I thought I was saving money, but it wasn't that much cheaper than my new car.

Favorite Features

The space.

Suggested Improvements

They really need to improve on the craftsmanship. The suspension is very bad! Need to install better tires as well.