2012 Kia Sorento SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sorento model:
2012 sorento owner
By srule on 01/04/12 21:14 PM (PST)

2012 Kia Sorento SUV SX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased our Sorento SX with all the bells and whistles over the internet through the Kia Depot in Santa Ana Ca. I challenged many regional dealers online for best price but the Kia Depot (Kai Ascencio) came in early with the lowest pricing with no pressure or attitude. We purchased the vehicle with little problems but I noticed a door ding (very minor) and inquired what the solution would be. Dealer said 2 days to fix. I said OK what do we do for 2 days without a car since we traded our primary car away. We settled on a free $400 car alarm instead of fix. I was very satisfied with the deal.

so far so good for the price
By ibos38 on 12/29/11 11:27 AM (PST)

2012 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Have not had this vehicle too long but already took it on a 7 hour road trip and was very happy with the performance. I did manage to get the mileage for the buck but mostly when going 65 mph. I was very happy with the 3rd row feature which was the whole reason for buying this model since we had to drive around a few extra people while we were visiting. Even with the 3rd seat up we could get some luggage in the back, an overnight bag and a few other things. I have a big family and someone always wants to tag along with me and my two kids. I test drove the Mazda CX9 and Highlander but was most convinced by this model on price and performance.

Never Imagined a KIA
By jclaeys on 12/23/11 15:19 PM (PST)

2012 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Good looking, good driving, incredible fit and finish, better than Toyota, better priced, the reviews don't lie. New 4cyl. GDI engine has plenty of spunk...gas mileage may be the same for the 6 cyl. but if you want to pay 5K more for it, you'll get more power and smoother performance....spend 5K somewhere else IMO.

Buy if you don't care about gas mileage
By natlikescars on 12/12/11 08:06 AM (PST)

2012 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4dr SUV w/Convenience Pkg (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We bought our Sorento the end of July 2011. The first 800 miles we got 32 to 34 highway mpg. After that it dropped to 28 and below. The dealer has checked it twice and they say nothing is wrong and Kia has said that is normal. Really?? We really like the vehicle except for the gas mpg. If the EPA sticker had said highway mileage was 27 mpg it would have been great. I challenge anyone to to get 32 mpg highway with any normal gasoline. Was the computer made to give you great mpg for the first few hundred miles, but if that continued the engine would burn up? So after about 800 miles it gives it a richer mixture? I am planning on contacting the EPA and have them reexamine the Sorento mpg.

So Far So Good
By johnnykia on 11/20/11 15:10 PM (PST)

2012 Kia Sorento SUV SX 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We traded a Honda CRV (excellent car) in for a new Kia Sorento SX AWD V6, largely because we needed more power to pull a small trailer. So far, we are pleased with the Sorento, which seems luxurious compared to the Honda. It is much quieter (less road noise) and the V6 engine has great acceleration. Still getting used to all the bells and whistles. Some of the controls are not inuitive. Many adjustments, like the mirrors, cannot be made unless the car is in Park. We do not need 3rd row seating, and would have rather had a bit more storage back there, but it was not an option on our model. Have not pulled the trailer yet. So far we get about 20 MPG for city/commuting and about 25 highway.

Rear Passenger Door Won't Open
By annoyed7 on 11/08/11 17:02 PM (PST)

2012 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased 2012 Sorrento Ex in June and 3 days after purchasing it we had problems with the rear passenger door. It would either stick or would not open at all. We had it at the dealership numerous times to try and fix it. The last time we had taken it in they said they were going to order a whole new door panel. We had to wait weeks for it to arrive from Korea. It was finally fixed or so we thought. About 8 weeks later the door will still not open. Presently the door has not opened for close to two weeks now. We have 3 children and feel this suv is not safe to drive. Trying to get Kia to help is very difficult. It is usually days to get a response from them.

Really Enjoying it
By carconnoisseur on 11/08/11 09:22 AM (PST)

2012 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4dr SUV w/Convenience Pkg (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We have now had our 2012 Sorento for 2 months/3800mi and we are loving it. We sold our CRV and upgraded to the Kia. The Kia seems much better made and the interior is vastly more comfortable. Most notable is the interior is much quieter. The MPG for us has been very good, with mostly highway I calculated 31.5 mpg, almost exactly what it should be. Also over the CRV you get a direct injection engine and a six-speed transmission. And do not forget the Stellar Warranty!

My first new car ever - unbelieveable value!
By tcsmythe on 10/23/11 15:46 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

My Sorento actually exceeded the sticker's MPG rating. Super peppy and holds my entire outdoor sound system. My profit as a musician just went up.

Disappointed in MPG
By lanshi on 10/20/11 18:49 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4dr SUV w/Convenience Pkg (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have had my KIA for a month now. The dealer stated that the big reason they are selling so much is because of the MPG up to 32. I am not seeing it. I drive about 120 miles a day and am averaging around 27. I bought it from Southeast Kia in Rockwall, TX. Traded in a Nissan Altima and was getting 32mpg. I hope I didn't make a great mistake with the gas prices would love to get 30 to 32.

Gas Mileage
By chupacabra1 on 10/17/11 12:33 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Got my Sorento 4 cyl GDI eng 4 months ago and I have around 3800 miles on it. I purchase the vehicle for fuel effeciency. Well after driving almost 4000 miles I can see that what Kia advertise is not really true.. most of my driving is on highway I keep the speed from 65 to 70 on flat road and the best I can get is 24 to 25 MPG on the hwy... First time trusting KIA and last... I'm going back to Totoya after I drive this vehicle for another 12 months. I went to the dealer and I was told that "I will get this kind of miliage after the engine get some more additional miles".... What 30,000 miles????

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Kia Sorento Suv in WA is:

$170 per month*