Used 2012 Kia Sorento SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Kia Sorento - Consumer Reviews

2012 Kia Sorento SUV

View reviews for a specific Sorento model:

32 MPG my [non-permissible content removed]
By mjwitz

2012 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Let me start out by saying this is a nice SUV. Quiet smooth ride. Decent power with the 4 banger. The brakes are solid. I did not get 4WD to get better mileage. If I had it to do over I would have gotten the 4WD because the mileage sucks anyway. I do combined driving and get 23.5 MPG. No where near the stated 32.

Favorite Features

UVO System - Bluetooth Ambient lighting Keyless entry/start

Suggested Improvements

Dead pedal is uncomfortable for 6+ foot drivers. Stop lying about the MPG. This thing would not get 32 MPG going down hill with a tailwind.

Exactly what I was looking for!!!
By ontheroad09

2012 Kia Sorento SUV SX 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I needed a 7 seater suv...but I did not want to go over a certain amt. my friend told me to go to yonkers kia. she got one from there and she said they were great. I called and spoke with Jaslyn. she was great and knew that what i needed. I came in and spoke with John I took my car hom.e with me the same day. everything was so nice and professional. the manager said he would make it happen for me and he did. I will tell all my friends and family to go see Yonkers Kia. thanks

Favorite Features

panoramic roof

A great compromise.
By jdubbs19

2012 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We bought the Sorento after looking at the CR-V and Rav4. The Sorento won out for the obvious: better warranty, features and more truckish styling (at least in our opinion). We got a killer deal (as does just about anybody) and read through the requirements to uphold the warranty to the 'T'. Long story short, it's a killer value and so far nothing has gone wrong. We've put 10,000 miles in three months, taking long trips, moving and hauling lots of cargo. It's proven to be comfortable while averaging about 25-26 mpg on the highway and about 20 mpg in the city. Kia's advertised 32 mpg can be achieved and has been, but only while driving 60-65 mph on a steady, flat highway. I'd buy it again.

Favorite Features

Backup camera + Reverse sensors, Sirius Satellite Radio with UVO, Cloth/leatherette seats, Great cargo capacity, Good MPG on the highway if you drive reasonably... Great if you drive very conservatively. Cheap to keep (cheap gas, cheap maintenance... etc.. etc...)

Suggested Improvements

More refined transmission that doesn't, Promote realistic city mileage as much as you do the optimistic highway mileage, Make the UVO system capable of interacting with Siri, Make LED DRL's standard.

Sorento 2012 LX 2.4 Front Wheel Drive
By frjohn42

2012 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4dr SUV w/Convenience Pkg (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have already driven my Sorento 2,000 miles in 6 weeks and I can say that its a very comfortable ride. Being a big person, 6ft 3in with a offensive lineman's build I am comfortable. I purchased the 4 cylinder front wheel drive, base model w/ convenience package, i.e. park assist on the mirror and auto dimming, remote start, heated seats, cargo net, cargo cover, sorento floor mats. I have been driving with the ac on most of the time and I have been getting about 21-22 miles per gallon city driving and about 25-26 on the highway.

Favorite Features

Love the bluetooth feature for the phone, believe it is standard. I also love the SIRIUSXM as I am an avid sports fan. I know I will like the remote start and heated seats in the winter. The stereo sounds great, clear and loud. CD player plays MP3s. Seats are very comfortable, ample room for those in front, with seats all the way back it may be a little tight for tall people in back (leg room), no problem in width. The Sorento is also a nice quite ride, very little to no interior noise in mine.

Suggested Improvements

The 4 cylinder is a little weak. It is not awful but you can feel it at laboring at times when you need that quick pickup. Iphone connection for playing music (not bluetooth) can only be done with specific cable, check ebay and amazon much cheaper than dealership cable. Fog lights can only be turned on when headlights are on, not sure if this is a state law or just a manufacturer thing. Overall I give the Sorento an A grade, I would have given it an A+ but the 4 cylinder is just a little weak at times only. I test drove the Terrain, Equinox, Explorer, and I liked the Sorento best.

10,000 miles and loving it
By soccermom57

2012 Kia Sorento SUV SX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have previously owned five Chrysler Town and Country minivans and was ready to downsize. I did a great deal of research and decided to buy the Sorento SX over the Chevy Equinox due to the tremendous warranty difference and that it is made in the US. I now have 10,000 miles on this car, purchased on October of 2011, and love it. It's fun and comfortable to drive, I am getting the gas mileage promised-about 20 around town and close to 30 on the highway-with the V6. The ride is firm and fun, very responsive. I have had NO problems with this car and really love it. I highly recommend it and have not had any issues with the dealership at all ,they have been excellent.

Favorite Features

Dual sunroof, stitched leather seating, heated and cooled seats, steering wheel bluetooth and navigation controls, third row of seats when I need them. This car is a pleasure to drive and so well equipped at the price it's amazing.

Suggested Improvements

Would like to see remote start and remote liftgate opening, that is truly all I miss!