2012 Kia Sorento Consumer Reviews 4

2012 Kia Sorento - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sorento model:

2012 Sorento Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
2012 Kia Sorento
By heydes

2012 Kia Sorento SX 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I am in love with this vehicle. We get a lot of looks and people commenting on how nice the car looks. I am very happy. I like the option of the third row. We only have two children and the car works out well for our family. The second row is a little smaller than I would prefer.

Favorite Features

The air conditioned seats!!! I love love love them. I also love the GPS and the blue tooth functions.

Suggested Improvements

Make the second row a little roomier. The kids have already scratched up the plastic back cover on the seats.

I love this SUV!
By swtjen01

2012 Kia Sorento LX 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I rent cars frequently and had driven my family 7 hours to Orlando on vacation. I was shocked by the performance and comfort because up until then I thought Kia was a cheap automobile maker. It had ipod and sirius radio and other features I expected from a high end suv. I then rented other suvs such as the: GMC acadia, chevy traverse, hyaundai, ford explorer and etc.. and missed the KIA. I finally decided I had to buy one and I have not regretted it. My other car is a Lexus so my friends joked that they couldn't believe I was going to buy something that wasn't considered "high end" but they are amazed at how nice the suv is especially when they drive it and see what i'm talking about.

Favorite Features

AWD V6 - has great acceleration and handling. Third row seating and how all the seats fold down which provides a ton of space. ipod, usb and Sirius xm radio

Suggested Improvements

This may be just my experience but the breaking took me awhile to get used to. This may just be my fault and I'm used to my other car which brakes on a dime. I wish the interior lighting was blue like the hyaundai santa fe. I would have probably bought the hyaundai if they hadn't of discontinued the third row seats. Gas mileage does not seem to be what they advertise. I won't complain because my Lexus sedan gets horrible gas mileage and its amazes me that a v6 suv gets better gas mileage. I wish there was a outside temperature reading.

Huge disappointment!!!!!
By macgirl1

2012 Kia Sorento LX 4dr SUV w/Convenience Pkg (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We purchased this vehicle in Dec.'12 and it has been the worst vehicle purchase we have ever made. The fuel economy on this vehicle has been awful. We've been getting 14-17mpg with combined driving, no where near the promised 21-28mpg. Not only that the drive is sluggish, with little power. We have contacted Kia Motor America for support and been told there is nothing they can do even though our Sorento is not performing the way they promise it will. In my experience Kia does not stand behind their promises and I wouldn't recommend the Sorento and we will not buy another Kia. Our Sorento has been a huge letdown and Kia's response to our problems has been an even bigger dissappointment.

Favorite Features

Heated seats

Suggested Improvements

New Fuel Estimates to accurately reflect real world driving averages like ours.

Sorento SX delivers
By tnvol75

2012 Kia Sorento SX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I am more than pleased with my new Sorento SX. More than anything, I am surprised at the total performance and delivery of this vehicle. More than I ever imagined. Can't wait to try it out on long trips to the beach. I previously owned a Ford Explorer and pretty much always been a fan of Ford. Since I have taken ownership of this vehicle I couldn't be happier with my purchase. After months of research and comparisons I feel like I have made an excellent decision with this purchase.

Favorite Features

To me the warranty can't be beat. Plus the dealer offered me double on the bumper to bumper warranty. So now I have 10 year, 120K mile b2b. If you're looking for reliability and performance but at the same time easy on the wallet then look no further. I chose this vehicle due to the third row seating which is perfect for my family but Kia offers a lot of great vehicles for the money. You should check out your local Kia dealership.

Downsized From Huge SUV
By countrynewsman

2012 Kia Sorento EX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I traded in my Ford Expedition EL for the Sorento since I no longer needed a huge gas guzzler. I was concerned about comfort, however, I have driven the Sorento on long trips and it is comfortable to drive. The generous warranty and the fact it's built in the U.S. were two of my main reasons for purchasing this vehicle. My only complaint is the lack of room in the second row due to the presence of the third row. My next Sorento will not have the third row since I don't need it. The Sorento does very well in towing a boat and trailer weighing 2500 pounds, however, braking is a little harder.

Favorite Features

I like the UVO voice-activated system, the rear camera, and the panoramic sunroof.

My new 3 word car...
By nursenetty

2012 Kia Sorento LX 4dr SUV w/Convenience Pkg (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I traded in my BMW for a KIA Sorento that I bought from my future brother in law Mike Light. I have purchased many cars over my years and have left feeling anxious. Did I do the right thing etc. I have not felt that feeling at all. I got the same great deal that some of my co-workers have received. The only thing I miss is have the car tell me the temp outside. I bought the 4 cycl. I didn't need all the "bells and whistles" (which would have been awesome btw). This SUV drives smooth, roomy and great on gas!

Favorite Features

Back up camera, heated seats, smooth ride, gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

add outside temp.

5,500 miles so far
By ucinn35

2012 Kia Sorento SX 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

and we couldn't be happier with this vehicle. the interior is spacious. We usually have the 3rd row folded which gives you tons of room for storage. The amenities interior are awesome. Love the steering wheel controls and you can operate most things(phone, radio, gps) with just talking to it so you can keep your eyes on the road. The handling is precise with a good feel of the road. The ride is average, if you are looking for a luxury car ride, look elsewhere but if you are used to a Cherokee, this thing is a smooth ride. The 6 cyl. is powerful and the 6 speed trans. is very smooth. Downshifts are barely noticeable even climbing large hills. The controls are straight forward and easy to use.

Favorite Features

speech recognition for radio, phone, and GPS. Panoramic sunroof, Heated seats and steering wheel, power folding mirrors. rear backup camera. Strong 6Cyl.. Gas mileage around 20 MPG 75/25 city driving

Suggested Improvements

Adjustable 2nd row seat.. a little longer for more storage w/ 3rd row up.

Very pleased
By par18

2012 Kia Sorento LX 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Just purchased my Sorento two weeks ago and although new, I'm very pleased with my purchase. The most common complaints that I've read are ride firmness and mileage. While I agree that the ride is a bit firmer than I like, the trade-off is better handling...less sway, roll and pitch. I got the six cylinder because I wanted more power (I live in Colorado and glad I did). While people complain about the poor mileage, I've owned a number of six cylinder vehicles in the past and the Sorento mileage is about the same - 300+ miles per tank of city driving. Beyond that, this KIA drives, looks and handles like CUV's for thousands more! I'm VERY happy with the looks and feel - a great value!!!

Favorite Features

Plenty of power and more fun to drive with a six cylinder, Bluetooth, Syrius, IPod integration, third row seat (if needed in a pinch), great looks (Bought it in black with tinted front windows to match the back windows), fit and finish.

Suggested Improvements

Wish it was slightly less firm ride and had a sliding second row seat.

surprised with the kia
By jclaudio

2012 Kia Sorento LX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

needed a new car for my family of three> dont make very much money so it was all about the price range. after doing our share of research nuthin came close to the style and warranty that kia offers.i battled with the chevy equinox but would of spent more money for less of a vehicle> asked chevy can you explain why i should buy your chevy? theyre responce"its a chevy" wasnt good enough so WE went with the smart choice. so far so good>getting lots of compliments on the style and price we ended up spending. only time will tell how my sorento will perform but im focusing on the positive cuz any car can brake down!!!!! question is do u feel ripped off my answser is no

Favorite Features

3rd row, blu tooth, ipod, style

Suggested Improvements

better mileage

Great so far, could improve on gas a little
By pdona

2012 Kia Sorento LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We bought the Kia Sorrento 4cyl, GDI AWD after doing lots of research. We wanted 3rd row seat, and good on gas. Minor problem is gas milage is averaging 19-22 with the regular grade gas. That is averaged quite a few ways from mostly highway to both. Our first trip was about 600 round trip miles going to Lake George, Ny on the highway, average was 21mpg Next step is to try the better grade of gasoline, maybe that will make the difference to be worth the expense. Hopefully it's in its "Break In" period. We've gotten numerous compliments on how SHARP the vehicle looks and are satisfied so far !

Favorite Features

We LOVE the I-Pod connectivity, and hands free Blue tooth the most.

Suggested Improvements

As with ANY vehicle improve on the gas milage. As with ANY vehicle have a Thermometer be standard. (how hard is that?)