Used 2012 Kia Sorento Consumer Reviews - 79 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Kia Sorento - Consumer Reviews

2012 Kia Sorento

View reviews for a specific Sorento model:

2012 Kia Sorento Looks Nice But Has It's Drawbacks.
By bc59

2012 Kia Sorento SX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

About a month after purchasing my new 2012 Sorento Ex with the optional V6 engine I noticed a loud thud almost everytime I started up my suv. I brought the vehicle into the local Kia dealership and they did some updates to the Sorento's computer which did get rid the problem. Also, my Bluetooth doesn't work so I cannot use my samsung phone in the vehicle. Flash forward one year and now I'm experiencing a noticeable lag in acceleration. I told the Kia service manager about the problem and he said to add a bottle of gas treatment. Did that and the problem still exists.
I'll be trading in my Kia soon for a more reliable vehicle.

Get rid of that steering wheel, it's just plain ugly. The suspension on the Kia Sorento EX is very stiff. I wonder if anyone at Kia even tuned it.

Beware of around town driving
By dmcfee

2012 Kia Sorento 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

We purchased our Kia Sorento new about 6 months ago.
Around town I have never gotten over 16 mpg. My lowest has been 13.4 mpg. On the highway i get 31 mpg.
I took it back to the dealer and was told I had to to run few more tanks of gas then it would get better.
Four more tanks and it remained about 14 mpg. I went back and the head maintenance man said I only averaged 18 mph in the city and that is why it was so low.
I told him I did not expect the 22 mpg we were told it would get but had no idea it would be 7 mpg under advertised mpg. The salesman knew all my driving was around town and acted very surprised when I told him the problem.
Love the car, but the gas mileage is unacceptable.

Love the comfort, back up camera in mirror, phone works most the time.

The biggest improvement is to let people know that around town if you go slow your gas mileage will drop 7 mpg to about 14 or 15 mpg, a far cry from the advertised 22 mpg. I would like to know if anyone has experienced this gas mileage.

Disappointed
By brianandr

2012 Kia Sorento LX 4dr SUV w/Convenience Pkg (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

One of the big selling points for me was the HWY MPG.
It has been a BIG disappointment so far.
I have put 6000 miles on it and have yet to get better than 24MPG.
KIA states 32...HOW?!
My last 3 Nissans(Rogue, Versa, 350Z) all got at or above what the factory claimed, including the Rogue(which I should have gone with again).
I love that it has plenty of room and comes at a great value but if I had known I wasn't even going to get in the ballpark of their HWY MPG, I would have gone a different route.

lots of room, well priced

Try not to mis-lead about gas consumption KIA

Satisfied
By krmc

2012 Kia Sorento LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I've had my '12 Sorento for 6 months now.
My daily driving is roughly 50 miles to and from work.
A stop at the babysitter, mostly highway. I get 22-24 MPG depending on the insanity of traffic.
We recently took a family vacation from PA to RI and driving conservatively we got a hair over 30 MPG.
Driving home we drove more aggressively and still got a little over 28 MPG.
The only negative I have to give is each side does have a blind spot and you can easily side swipe someone as my husband and I both have nearly done.
It would be nice to have a V6 but the only time I really wished for it was on our vacation getting through some tight areas.

back seat leg room

We Love Our KIA!
By bjohnsonstl

2012 Kia Sorento EX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We have had our Kia Sorento from Suntrup Kia in St. Louis for about 3 months now.
We have been on 2 long trips (one 1600 miles round trip) and the car has performed very well.
We love our Kia and will certainly be buying another Sorento in about 5 years.

Interior styling on the EX with UVO is nice! USB/Aux inputs on the dash, bluetooth, and all the amenities of the EX shine. Rear A/C for the kiddos and plenty of storage space or a third row seat round out the car nicely. We bought rubber mats for the hatch and all of the seats which with two kids have saved the floors on numerous occasions. Get leather! It's worth it!

If they could squeeze a little more leg room in the back row of seats that would be great.