Used 2012 Kia Sorento SUV Consumer Reviews - 79 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Kia Sorento SUV - Consumer Reviews

2012 Kia Sorento SUV

View reviews for a specific Sorento model:

20,000 miles and loving it more
By flyboy80

2012 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Been trouble free, fun to drive, extremely agile in traffic.
Meets or exceeds advertised performance numbers.
Acceleration and braking awesome.

Fuel mileage 30 to 35 MPG (Imperial) in county/town, and 35 to 40 on freeway at 62 to 65 mph, depending on wind.
One day's travel actually 625 miles on tank (15 IMP).
We know there have been economy problems with some models, but not this one.
Ride is firm, but offset by great control in turns and winding roads.
V6 is the way to go.
Best we've owned.

Fun to drive
By dagreene57

2012 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Have an EX with the V6.
Fun to drive, but definitely have the throttle lag mentioned in other posts.
Weirdest thing was a week or two ago started to get a'pulsation/vibration' under acceleration.
Took it to the dealer and they found a snap-ring on the left-front had 'slipped' and was allowing the front axle-shaft to move around.
They put on a new one and found that the 'correct' part was undersized.
They found a correctly sized part and no more problems.
The service manager said this was the 3rd one he had seen.
This was at about 15K miles.

Other than that, a blast to drive, handles great, good power.

Love This Car. Read Why.
By junglejoe

2012 Kia Sorento SUV SX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have had the Sorento SX V6 for a year now and I have not done anything but change the oil. I love the front seat adjustability and the Heated and Air Conditioned drivers seat. Fast for it's size and handles good. Stereo sounds great, bluetooth works good, the a/c control in the back is very welcomed as is the heated steering wheel.
I love this car more than any other I have owned except for maybe my first car as a kid, a 1964 Ford Galaxie LTD. I have had Mercedes 420, VW Jetta Sportwagon TDI, Jeep Grand Cherokee, MIsc vans and sports cars but the KIA is the best value!

Comfortable!!!!! Reliability A/C drivers seat A/C controls in the back Powerful for it's size Good gas milage for the power and size Easy to get in and out of

Radio/Stereo/Navigation has a delay sometimes when making a selection via the touchscreen. Would like to have the glass open separately in back door.

V6 verses 4cyl AWD
By trippingman

2012 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We previously owned a 2011 Sorrento EX V6 AWD. I thought moving to the 2012 EX AWD with a 4 cylinder would help with gas mileage. However, it didn't turn out that way. While we did get some improvement (apprx. 3mpg for both city and highway) it was not significant enough to give up the 6 cylinder.

Fortunately for us we got such a good trade in value on the previous Kia, that we actually lowered our payment. The cars were both EX AWD models. The 2011 had a sunroof but no navigation system or premium sound. The 2012 does not have a sunroof but does have the premium sound and navigation system.
Overall, we prefer the 2012. We think it rides smoother with a less jarring ride over road bumps.

The 7 passenger seating, fold away mirrors, drivers seat memory. Good performance from the 4cylinder.

The ride can still be a little harsh at times. Gas mileage!

A stiff suspension and a bog in acceleration hurt this suv's rating.
By bc59

2012 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I took delivery of my Kia Sorento with the optional V-6 a little over a year ago.
After several months I noticed a bog (flat spot) when accelerating from a stop.
The Kia dealership said to put gas treatment in the tank which I did but this did not help.
The problem still persists.
The suspension is very stiff and even the smallest bumps in the road can be felt.
I driven a Ford Edge and a Jeep Cheerokee and their suspensions were much softer.
Also, one of the side steps on my suv has come loose. Apparently from the factory a screww was not tightened enough.
I like the looks of the Sorento but it is not a refined vehicle.
I'll probably trade it in on another vehicle soon.

Better tuned suspension, a better looking steering wheel, a more refined engine.