2012 Kia Sorento - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sorento model:
Falling Out Of Love
By jclaeys on 04/29/12 11:17 AM (PDT)

2012 Kia Sorento LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Purchased 2012 used in Dec. with less than 5K on odo. Was impressed then with the value. Now at just 8K beginning to realize that this is a good vehicle, not a great one by any means. Probably first and foremost is service, it's just completely lacking, and until KIA becomes a household name it will probably remain so. I am disappointed with the gas mileage, as I am easy on the pedal and am only able to avg. 20MPG combined 50/50. I have made countless calls and visits to the dealer for an engine that "shakes" at idle with the brakes apllied. I have to place car in neutral at every stop light. Problem is, as long as there is no engine light on, no one knows what to do. Stay clear of "4"

The V-6 is the way to go
By andrewm1 on 04/24/12 14:52 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Sorento LX 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I actually bought a 2011 4 cylinder Kia Sorento back in March 2011.The engine was to slugglish and was somewhat dissapointing.I traded it in a bought a 2012 6 cylinder this past December and am much happier now.The V6 276 horses are fantastic and it does not strain the engine.The ride is quiet and smooth.Absolutely NO body lean in sharper turns,unlike the old school SUVs from the 1990s where every turn felt like a potential rollover.Leg and headroom are great.Climate control is superb.Gas mileage takes a hit from the AWD but on the highway,I still get over 20 MPG,less in city driving.(NYC is tough on MPG for all cars period)

Great value, overacheving car
By pmfarmer on 04/24/12 13:42 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Sorento EX 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased a 2012 Kia Sorento. I couldn’t be happier with the purchase. I currently have 8,000 miles on it. Drives great in any weather, has all the extras(heated seats, auto dimming mirror, back up camera) without paying the luxury car prices. Don’t waste your time with the 4-cylinder. I have the v6 AWD, it has excellent power when you need it, even when weighed down with luggage ect, for a week long trip for 4 adults. I have expierienced 23-24 mpg for the city and 25-26 mpg on the highway. Our times at the kia service center for oil changes has been great. I’ve had great luck with asian vehicles and the 2012 kia sorento has only set my standards higher.

POOR gas mileage
By horse8 on 04/21/12 13:12 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Sorento EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Excuses by Bairl Kia in Pgh for poor gas mileage: the snow, the hills, and the government sets those gas mileage ranges! I cannot get over 20mpg on the highway going 70mph. I bought this vehicle for the listed gas mileage. Not even close! The ride is hard. It has the bells and whistles but I would have liked what was advertised by Kia. I am disappointed.

Big Mistake
By justman on 04/21/12 11:59 AM (PDT)

2012 Kia Sorento SX 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought a 2012 Sorento and only had the car for two months when things started to go really bad with it. Broken axles, motor mounts, transfer case, and the side panel was coming off. Kia fixed these issues because it was covered under warranty. On top of that the SUV did not handle well especially in the rain. I drove it home to DC from Charlotte and we were so thankful we made it safe. I fought with Kia wanting to get another one because that one was a lemon for sure, but they did Nothing! So, I got rid of it and bought another make and model. I do NOT recommend Kia at all. To top it all off, I thought I was saving money, but it wasn't that much cheaper than my new car.

Happy with car expectations/price
By duriem on 04/19/12 09:35 AM (PDT)

2012 Kia Sorento LX 4dr SUV w/Convenience Pkg (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We bought this car new directly from the dealer. After check out all possible options in the market, the KIA SORENTO was unbeatable compared to the competence (TOyota, Honda, Hyundai, etc). Great warranty and value for the price it sales!

Great car, great value
By newcarshoppe on 04/18/12 07:43 AM (PDT)

2012 Kia Sorento EX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Purchased my EX, GDI engine in Novermber '11 and after 3.500 miles I have been very pleased with every aspect of the car. I'm averaging 23 mpg in and around town (San Antonio) and as high as 33 mpg on the highway. No complaints about the mileage. Fit and finish and styling inside and out continue to get complaments from my friends. When I purchased the car I had narrowed it down to the Toyota Venza and the Sorento. Although both cars have a very firm suspension, the Venza was choppy and the Sorento was much smoother. I think the duel flow damper shocks make the difference.

This Car is Awesome
By elpollobago on 04/17/12 20:17 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Sorento EX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This car is great, I was first going to get an older model BMW SUV (the X-5 or X-3), no comparrison, the Sorrento its so much nicer and you get more for your money. Its a great looking car and it drives great. I definitely recommended.

Best Value for the Money
By jcarson001 on 04/15/12 15:20 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Sorento EX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We have owned our Kia Sorento for 3 months now. It has exceeded all of our expectations. The car has been flawless and the dealer support has been great. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone in the market for a cross over vehicle. The Sorento EX was almost $10,000 less than the comparable Honda Pilot and much more vehicle for the money than the Honda CRV.

2012 Sorrento is a LEMON
By sdannett on 04/14/12 09:47 AM (PDT)

2012 Kia Sorento LX 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I find it unacceptable for my 2012 sorrento to require an entire engine replacement after only 8 months of driving. Although the repair was eventually covered under warranty, I had to fight and followup daily for updates on repairs. It ended up taking ONE MONTH for my vehicle to be ready. The breakdown occurred in another city 4 hours away from my home and they expected me to drive 8 hour round trip to pick it up. Faulty vehicle and abysmal customer service. I feel duped. Stay away from KIA.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Kia Sorento in VA is:

$141 per month*