2012 Sorrento is a LEMON
By sdannett on
2012 Kia Sorento LX 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)
I find it unacceptable for my 2012 sorrento to require an entire engine replacement after only 8 months of driving. Although the repair was eventually covered under warranty, I had to fight and followup daily for updates on repairs. It ended up taking ONE MONTH for my vehicle to be ready. The breakdown occurred in another city 4 hours away from my home and they expected me to drive 8 hour round trip to pick it up. Faulty vehicle and abysmal customer service. I feel duped. Stay away from KIA.
By neveragain727
on 10/30/12 21:21 PM (PDT)

We had the same engine failure! I asked the Kia dealership to report our car issue to KIA company, and called the KIA Toll-Free National Customer Service for the same issue, and requested the company to investigate this issue! We will see what will come about from our requests. I will report this issue to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Here is our story: We bought a new 2012 Kia Sorento for our daughter in college in 08/2011. She put 9,800 miles on the car so far with all the normalized services being up to date. This Saturday 10/27/2012, she drove from Miami to Naple, and this car died on I-75! Thank the Lord that neither she nor her friend got hurt! She had it towed to Fuccillo Kia dealership in Cape Coral, FL. This dealership did the initial evaluation that day, but could not diagnosed the reason why the car died! Thus, my 20 year old daughter had to leave the car in the Cape Coral Kia dealership, and no one at this dealership offered to help her getting a loaner/ rental car through Kia warranty coverage! My daughter had to ask her friend to drive from Miami (an hour and 45 minutes away) to pick her up and bring her back to Miami that evening! Of course, nothing was done on Sunday. On Monday, the Cape Coral Kia dealership had to ask that we should contact our Kia dealership in Clearwater to fax all the service records to them as all the Kia dealerships'service databases are separated with no connectivity or sharing capability among them. I called the National Kia Customer Service to ask for help as the Clerwater Kia dealership did not respond initially to our request. The toll-free National Kia Customer Service lady said that Kia National headquarter does not have any data on services at any of their dealerships, but she gave me a case # and her extension to call back or communication, which I thought initially as being very nice and helpful ( I even did a survey for her and gave her high marks!) I have to call the Clearwater Kia dealership's service manager to ask for help in faxing the service records to the Cape Coral Kia dealership to finally getting this done. After reviewing the well documented 3 services (on 08/11/11, 1/13/2012, and 06/11/2012), the Cape Coral Kia dealership agreed that we have had the car well-maintained by a Kia dealership during our short ownership, but th engine died fro unknown reason. The service manager there suggested that they will have to rebuilt the engine! We asked if this issue had been reported on other Kia Sorentos, and he replied that he does not or aware of any national recall nor issue with the Kia Sorento having premature engine failure. We asked that the engine should be replaced with a new engine from Kia factory in the Atlanta, Georgia plant in USA, rather from a rebuilt engine. The manager said that he will try to request for that. We requested that while the car being serviced under a Kia warranty-issue if my daughter could get a rental or loaner car for her to get to class at college. The dealership reported that they could do a rental car up to $30/day coverage only. However, since our daughter is 20 yo, she could not rent the car from any rental companies! The dealership insisted that they have no loaner car available for her to use! I called the Kia toll-free national customer service four times (twice on Monday 10/29/12 and twice on Tuesday 10/30/2012) using the previously given extension # to the service lady, Melinda. I was not able to get in touch with her either time, and upon calling back other customer service agents reviewed our case #, reporting that nothing was in our case report! So why created a case # and giving me an extension #!? At this time, we are waiting for Kia's decisions to replace the engine, and to consider helping our daughter a way to get back from Miami to Cape Coral! With this occurence of the failed engine on a new 2012 Kia Sorento with 9,800 miles after one year of ownership, I have to say that I am very disappointed in this car and with the above service issues from Kia National Customer Service Center! Thus, I would NOT recommend this car nor this car company to anyone at this time! Hopefully, this automotive company will learn to improve their quality and service in the future!