2012 Kia Sorento SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sorento model:
Don't buy the 4 Cylinder
By barbieharley on 08/07/14 04:43 AM (PDT)

2012 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Just bought a 2012 Sorento LX with the 2.4L 4 cylinder engine. Took it home and it drove great. It was a little sluggish compared to my 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe with the 3.5L V6 but I thought it would save on gas. I took it to work the next day and didn't even get 20 miles and it wouldn't shift out of first gear. I will be returning it within the 5 day period. Will never buy another 4 Cylinder car.

Always buy the big engine.
By buiford56 on 03/23/13 13:53 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I feel badly for all of you that bought the four cylinder engines. I have just under 30K on my Sorento and it is a great vehicle. My family and I drove from Iowa to Louisiana and back last week and I averaged 27.5 mpg at 76 mph. This is a comfortable and relaxed road-trip cruiser. The ride is a bit stiff, but this is why it handles well. The Sorento is powerful and economical. I have to say, it does very well in the snow too.

LOVE IT !!!
By jdcali on 03/13/13 15:28 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Sorento SUV SX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I love everything about this car. I just purchased the 2012 SX V6 dark cherry two weeks ago for my wife. It's fully loaded with all the whistles and bells you could want, its certainly a head turner and conversation starter when people see it. She drives it mostly during the week to work, so I look forward to the weekends so I can drive it. I know several people have complained about the gas mileage, but we haven't had that experience.

Horrible gas mileage
By b99munson on 02/06/13 13:52 PM (PST)

2012 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4dr SUV w/Convenience Pkg (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I enjoy owning this car, and I'm satisfied with it in every way, except for the giant gas mileage ripoff. I paid an extra $1700 to buy the "Convenience Package" with the 22 city/32 highway sticker. Now those numbers have been readjusted down to 21/30, which is a big laugh. I drive like an old lady (actually I AM an old lady) and the ECO light is on almost all the time, supposedly reflecting the fact that I don't do any jackrabbit starts, stomp the brakes, etc. My normal driving is a mix of city and highway, and I don't get 21 mpg. I took it on the highway, completely unloaded, with the A/C turned off, and got up to 28 mpg going 65mph on cruise. Big woop. Kia should be closed down!

20,000 miles and loving it more
By flyboy80 on 01/04/13 07:57 AM (PST)

2012 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Been trouble free, fun to drive, extremely agile in traffic. Meets or exceeds advertised performance numbers. Acceleration and braking awesome. Fuel mileage 30 to 35 MPG (Imperial) in county/town, and 35 to 40 on freeway at 62 to 65 mph, depending on wind. One day's travel actually 625 miles on tank (15 IMP). We know there have been economy problems with some models, but not this one. Ride is firm, but offset by great control in turns and winding roads. V6 is the way to go. Best we've owned.

Fun to drive
By dagreene57 on 11/12/12 09:37 AM (PST)

2012 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Have an EX with the V6. Fun to drive, but definitely have the throttle lag mentioned in other posts. Weirdest thing was a week or two ago started to get a'pulsation/vibration' under acceleration. Took it to the dealer and they found a snap-ring on the left-front had 'slipped' and was allowing the front axle-shaft to move around. They put on a new one and found that the 'correct' part was undersized. They found a correctly sized part and no more problems. The service manager said this was the 3rd one he had seen. This was at about 15K miles. Other than that, a blast to drive, handles great, good power.

Love This Car. Read Why.
By junglejoe on 11/06/12 15:34 PM (PST)

2012 Kia Sorento SUV SX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have had the Sorento SX V6 for a year now and I have not done anything but change the oil. I love the front seat adjustability and the Heated and Air Conditioned drivers seat. Fast for it's size and handles good. Stereo sounds great, bluetooth works good, the a/c control in the back is very welcomed as is the heated steering wheel. I love this car more than any other I have owned except for maybe my first car as a kid, a 1964 Ford Galaxie LTD. I have had Mercedes 420, VW Jetta Sportwagon TDI, Jeep Grand Cherokee, MIsc vans and sports cars but the KIA is the best value!

V6 verses 4cyl AWD
By trippingman on 09/21/12 10:08 AM (PDT)

2012 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We previously owned a 2011 Sorrento EX V6 AWD. I thought moving to the 2012 EX AWD with a 4 cylinder would help with gas mileage. However, it didn't turn out that way. While we did get some improvement (apprx. 3mpg for both city and highway) it was not significant enough to give up the 6 cylinder. Fortunately for us we got such a good trade in value on the previous Kia, that we actually lowered our payment. The cars were both EX AWD models. The 2011 had a sunroof but no navigation system or premium sound. The 2012 does not have a sunroof but does have the premium sound and navigation system. Overall, we prefer the 2012. We think it rides smoother with a less jarring ride over road bumps.

A stiff suspension and a bog in acceleration hurt this suv's rating.
By bc59 on 08/27/12 13:03 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I took delivery of my Kia Sorento with the optional V-6 a little over a year ago. After several months I noticed a bog (flat spot) when accelerating from a stop. The Kia dealership said to put gas treatment in the tank which I did but this did not help. The problem still persists. The suspension is very stiff and even the smallest bumps in the road can be felt. I driven a Ford Edge and a Jeep Cheerokee and their suspensions were much softer. Also, one of the side steps on my suv has come loose. Apparently from the factory a screww was not tightened enough. I like the looks of the Sorento but it is not a refined vehicle. I'll probably trade it in on another vehicle soon.

2012 Kia Sorento Looks Nice But Has It's Drawbacks.
By bc59 on 08/24/12 12:24 PM (PDT)

2012 Kia Sorento SUV SX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

About a month after purchasing my new 2012 Sorento Ex with the optional V6 engine I noticed a loud thud almost everytime I started up my suv. I brought the vehicle into the local Kia dealership and they did some updates to the Sorento's computer which did get rid the problem. Also, my Bluetooth doesn't work so I cannot use my samsung phone in the vehicle. Flash forward one year and now I'm experiencing a noticeable lag in acceleration. I told the Kia service manager about the problem and he said to add a bottle of gas treatment. Did that and the problem still exists. I'll be trading in my Kia soon for a more reliable vehicle.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Kia Sorento Suv in VA is:

$141 per month*