Used 2012 Kia Sorento SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Kia Sorento SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sorento model:

KIA SORENTO,GREAT and this is my first non-Volvo!
By eggman13

2012 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

First of all,since I was 16,all I've owned are Volvos.Several 240's,a 142,Four P1800's.I know quality,RELIABILITY,and quirky style.Due to the demise of Volvo's reliability since 2000,I started to look at other car companies.There are certain options I incist on when it comes to cars.The Sorento has been amazing! I purchased the four cylinder base model.It has Bluetooth,auto transmission,AC,and lots of style.I get asked a lot about my Sorento."How do you like it?" "How much was your car?" I have nothing to say but positive responses.The four cylinder is fine! I average 23mpg and I am an Uber driver.Cars almost never meet the posted MPG.Transmission shifts smoothly.I am at 46k and the ONLY thing I have done is the front brakes.I am due for rears on my next oil change.Still have the original tires with at least a years tread on them.As far as power,this car zips around and feels planted to the ground.I have the base 17" alloys so my tires are a little taller then the 18" rims.The ride quality is firm but comfortable.The one thing about Volvo 240's is the turning radius.It is better then any vehicle ever made accept a fork lift! The Sorento equals the Volvo,and in an SUV?? Amazing...My only concern is that it does have a blind spot on the passenger rear side.Remedy,a $2 mini round dome mirror on the side mirror.Problem solved.I did a Vegas trip last month with four adults,and luggage.I averaged 27mpg,cruised at 80mph,and only had downshifts on the long hill on I-15 for about 30 min.All finishes are factory fresh and I had over 1500 Uber rides last year.I did buy high end Coverking neoprene seat covers since I have beige interior.The best part is I am not even half way through my warranty yet!The only reason to trade it in would be for another Kia Sorento,though I don't care for the new front end styling.A 35k car for a 20k price tag.I'm a believer!

Don't buy the 4 Cylinder
By barbieharley

2012 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Just bought a 2012 Sorento LX with the 2.4L 4 cylinder engine. Took it home and it drove great. It was a little sluggish compared to my 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe with the 3.5L V6 but I thought it would save on gas. I took it to work the next day and didn't even get 20 miles and it wouldn't shift out of first gear. I will be returning it within the 5 day period. Will never buy another 4 Cylinder car.

I love the style of both the interior and the exterior but if it doesn't go down the road it doesn't matter how pretty it is.

Do not even offer a 4 cylinder if the car is too big for the engine to handle.

Always buy the big engine.
By buiford56

2012 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I feel badly for all of you that bought the four cylinder engines. I have just under 30K on my Sorento and it is a great vehicle. My family and I drove from Iowa to Louisiana and back last week and I averaged 27.5 mpg at 76 mph. This is a comfortable and relaxed road-trip cruiser. The ride is a bit stiff, but this is why it handles well. The Sorento is powerful and economical. I have to say, it does very well in the snow too.

I am 6'3" and this fits me well for long drives.

My only gripe is the torque steer when you pass other cars. If you are doing 50 mph and floor it to pass, you better have the steering wheel held tight. Torque steer is a common issues the powerful front-drive vehicles and this one has it.

LOVE IT !!!
By jdcali

2012 Kia Sorento SUV SX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I love everything about this car. I just purchased the 2012 SX V6 dark cherry two weeks ago for my wife. It's fully loaded with all the whistles and bells you could want, its certainly a head turner and conversation starter when people see it. She drives it mostly during the week to work, so I look forward to the weekends so I can drive it. I know several people have complained about the gas mileage, but we haven't had that experience.

My favorite features are the mirror image like rims, the heated seats, fold in mirrors and flawless paint job to the exterior. It's really done well.

If I had to suggest any improvements I would probably suggest having the trunk door capable of just lifting the glass part of the trunk door instead of having to lift the whole trunk for access to the trunk. I had this feature on our previous SUV, but I've gotten use to not having it. Overall it's an EXCELLENT choice and I have NO buyers remorse for purchasing it.

Horrible gas mileage
By b99munson

2012 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4dr SUV w/Convenience Pkg (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I enjoy owning this car, and I'm satisfied with it in every way, except for the giant gas mileage ripoff. I paid an extra $1700 to buy the "Convenience Package" with the 22 city/32 highway sticker. Now those numbers have been readjusted down to 21/30, which is a big laugh. I drive like an old lady (actually I AM an old lady) and the ECO light is on almost all the time, supposedly reflecting the fact that I don't do any jackrabbit starts, stomp the brakes, etc. My normal driving is a mix of city and highway, and I don't get 21 mpg. I took it on the highway, completely unloaded, with the A/C turned off, and got up to 28 mpg going 65mph on cruise. Big woop. Kia should be closed down!

The interior is very comfortable and spacious. I enjoy the greater visibility gained by sitting in a taller vehicle. That's why I bought the car.

The only thing that would turn me into a satisfied Kia customer is a $1700 refund, as well as the silly little gas payback program.