Used 2011 Kia Sorento Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Kia Sorento - Consumer Reviews

2011 Kia Sorento

View reviews for a specific Sorento model:

Most Helpful|
Not Enough Bang For The Buck
By nojoke1

2011 Kia Sorento SX 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We purchased a 2011 SX AWD with 42,000 miles recently. This being my first Kia and first SUV I was excited to say the least. However, after a few weeks of driving I started noticing little things such as rattles, rough ride, touchy steering, road noise, acceleration issues (barely touch the pedal and expect a whiplash), cheap plastic interior, uncomfortably flat seat cushions, and seat warmers with one setting (scalding or off). It has already been in the shop for shift lock cam being loose and within a month is going back for the same problem. I believe the Sorento has potential as being a quality vehicle but has several issues to improve on. I find it substandard for the price!

Favorite Features

It does offer more standard features than most SUV/Crossover's. Easy to maneuver in traffic and parking.

Suggested Improvements

Improve interior cabin with quality materials, reduce road noise, build a tight, solid vehicle that will go the distance.

Solid vehicle, great pricing used.
By newaccent2007

2011 Kia Sorento LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We purchased our Pacific blue LX 2.4L with 43k on the odometer. Since that time, we've only had very minor issues. The factory battery went bad at 48K, and now with 81K the sway bars need to be replaced which were cheap to order. I use the vehicle as my company car (contractor) and it now has 81K on it. The factory brakes are still about 30-40%. It's been an incredibly reliable machine, and it's used on and off road and down Amish township roads daily. Tough, durable, and reliable, and cheap to obtain too.

Favorite Features

Low cost to purchase, plenty of power (even with the 4cyl), reasonable handling, and incredibly comfortable seats. Excellent view of the road, and intelligently styled interior. Looks great, the design is still contemporary even though it's 5 years old!

Suggested Improvements

Transmission programming. It seems to be historically buggy. We've only had problems with it once. Otherwise it's always been smooth, and everything else is pretty solid.

Hard to beat this KIA head to head
By firstsergeant

2011 Kia Sorento EX 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

"We bought this vehicle in 2012. My wife drives this SUV on business trips everywhere." Although, most people do not like the harsh ride, it's designed to be a very stable and has a controlled stance. The engine power of the 3.5 is fine. With nearly 280 h.p. this vehicle will deliver. We have accumulated 85,000 miles so far. It's very easy on tires, brakes, and still has the original shocks and struts. The engine, transmission, and driveline are fine. The handling of the car still feels like factory new. We prefer the Bridgestone H/T 684 tires. They wear extremely well and even. The navigation, back-up feature, and interior lighting, (red) are great features. Buy one. Good for 200K.

Favorite Features

Handling, and a very tight feel! Spirited cornering and very well behaved overall controlled driveline.

Suggested Improvements

Offer an eight-speed unit. This car would purr! Moreover, a turbo-charged version. An easy 350 h.p. R-model. Do away with the CVT trans.

2011 Kia Sorento
By redwinejl

2011 Kia Sorento LX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Bought new Aug. 2011. I have 117000 miles with no mechanical problems. I am retired and put many miles on this car going from home to our kid home almost weekly. I did have an alternator replaced on recall, but that is it. I had 60000 mile dealer service performed as well as regular oil changes( I have always used full synethic), and maintain proper tire service. When I bought this car, I would have never thought of buying a Kia, as I did not think they were quality cars, but after owning this one for 4 and 1/2 years, Kia is a quality product and a car company that seems to be doing things right. I think this SUV will continue to serve me well for several more years.

Favorite Features

I like the acceleration of this SUV , as it is quicker than anything I have ever driven. Most of my driving is on Interstate Highways which require you to enter traffic at 70 to 80 mph which is no problem for the V6 Sorento. I like the seating arrangement, as it allows you to carry up to 7 passengers or to fold the seats down and carry cargo. I used this SUV several years ago to pull my small travel trailer to Yellowstone N. P. With no problems except keeping the speed down. Plenty of power.

Suggested Improvements

I am having a seat fold down issue at the moment, and I think that Kia needs to address this issue as it seems to be somewhat of a problem. I have 117000 miles on my Kia and this is my only complaint, and I am not upset about it. I am setting here trying to think of other problems, but I can not think of any at this time, so that says a lot for the quality that Kia has put into there vehicles. I have to tell you that I am a very critical person (grumpy old man) and an always looking for ways to improve things, so keep up the good work Kia.

Quality family vehicle
By sorrentoski

2011 Kia Sorento LX 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Performs well, a little bumpy but the springs in drivers seat popped in second year. Best value in the cars we looked at, maybe saved 5K and it handles just as well. Interior is nice but fabric on seats stain pretty easy unless you upgrade. Its been a very reliable car with the recall items taken care of.

Favorite Features

Power and Gas mileage in addition to 3rd row that we never use but had to have.

Suggested Improvements

Fix recall issues before next model hits production. Better springs in seats. Dash hands free console works better with Siri or Android voice command apps.