Used 2011 Kia Sorento Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Kia Sorento - Consumer Reviews

2011 Kia Sorento

View reviews for a specific Sorento model:

Hard to beat this KIA head to head
By firstsergeant

2011 Kia Sorento EX 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

"We bought this vehicle in 2012. My wife drives this SUV on business trips everywhere." Although, most people do not like the harsh ride, it's designed to be a very stable and has a controlled stance. The engine power of the 3.5 is fine. With nearly 280 h.p. this vehicle will deliver. We have accumulated 85,000 miles so far. It's very easy on tires, brakes, and still has the original shocks and struts. The engine, transmission, and driveline are fine. The handling of the car still feels like factory new. We prefer the Bridgestone H/T 684 tires. They wear extremely well and even. The navigation, back-up feature, and interior lighting, (red) are great features. Buy one. Good for 200K.

Favorite Features

Handling, and a very tight feel! Spirited cornering and very well behaved overall controlled driveline.

Suggested Improvements

Offer an eight-speed unit. This car would purr! Moreover, a turbo-charged version. An easy 350 h.p. R-model. Do away with the CVT trans.

Not Enough Bang For The Buck
By nojoke1

2011 Kia Sorento SX 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We purchased a 2011 SX AWD with 42,000 miles recently. This being my first Kia and first SUV I was excited to say the least. However, after a few weeks of driving I started noticing little things such as rattles, rough ride, touchy steering, road noise, acceleration issues (barely touch the pedal and expect a whiplash), cheap plastic interior, uncomfortably flat seat cushions, and seat warmers with one setting (scalding or off). It has already been in the shop for shift lock cam being loose and within a month is going back for the same problem. I believe the Sorento has potential as being a quality vehicle but has several issues to improve on. I find it substandard for the price!

Favorite Features

It does offer more standard features than most SUV/Crossover's. Easy to maneuver in traffic and parking.

Suggested Improvements

Improve interior cabin with quality materials, reduce road noise, build a tight, solid vehicle that will go the distance.

Quality family vehicle
By sorrentoski

2011 Kia Sorento LX 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Performs well, a little bumpy but the springs in drivers seat popped in second year. Best value in the cars we looked at, maybe saved 5K and it handles just as well. Interior is nice but fabric on seats stain pretty easy unless you upgrade. Its been a very reliable car with the recall items taken care of.

Favorite Features

Power and Gas mileage in addition to 3rd row that we never use but had to have.

Suggested Improvements

Fix recall issues before next model hits production. Better springs in seats. Dash hands free console works better with Siri or Android voice command apps.

Best mid-size SUV on the market today
By cooooolio

2011 Kia Sorento SX 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my 2011 Sorento SX AWD new and it has been an absolute pleasure to drive. It is the best new car I've ever owned in my 50+ years on this planet. It was heavily researched before purchasing and there were very, very few negative reviews. Anything that did come up was related to some early transmission problems on the 4 cylinder models. The 2011 Sorento has been a joy to drive and I expect to drive it well past the 10 year/100,00 mile warranty. KIA knocked it out of the park with the Sorento.

Favorite Features

Lots of power and great gas mileage for an SUV even with AWD. The suspension and handling is sporty which makes it fun to drive. The Infinity stereo is awesome, the interior lighting is subtle yet eye catching, the body styling and trim makes this one of the absolute best looking SUV's on the road. In short, there are too many favorites to list. I mean, what's not to love?

Suggested Improvements

The only improvement I would suggest is that occasionally the ride/suspension could be a little less stiff but it depends on the condition of the roads you drive. For me, 85% of the time the ride is very comfortable but every now and again you'll hit a pot hole or bump that reminds you that there is a trade-off for the sporty suspension.

Kia Sorento Three Years Later
By lad3

2011 Kia Sorento EX 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have had the Sorento for 3 years now and wanted to share my experience. It has been a great car. I have almost 50K now and I have not had any problems with the car. Very reliable. With the V6 the car has plenty of power for when you need it. The ride is very comfortable. After I bought it I immediately took it to a road trip from DC to Maine and back. I really had to use the cruise control because otherwise I would easily increase my speed to 80 MPH or more without even noticing it. I like the interior design and the controls. Overall, I am very happy that I purchased the Kia Sorento. Great car, great value.

Favorite Features

My favorite features are the the rear-view camera with parking sensors and the hands-free calling. Easy to sync with your iPhone, Galaxy, etc.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage. That's my only little problem with the Sorento V6. I say "little" because gas mileage was not on the top of my criteria. When you buy a V6, AWD, with close to 300 horse power, you know the mileage would not be that great.