Used 2011 Kia Sorento Consumer Reviews - 304 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Kia Sorento - Consumer Reviews

2011 Kia Sorento

View reviews for a specific Sorento model:

Kia... designed to fail at 61,000 miles
By Skylar Sutton

2011 Kia Sorento SX 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We're the second owners of this vehicle, purchased it 2 years old with about 20,000 miles on it. We had minor/insignificant issues during the 60k bumper-to-bumper warranty period (which DOES transfer to the second owner)... insignificant things like a backup camera that needed replaced and some minor vibrations on the interior that just needed tightening up.

Let me tell you though, almost the MINUTE that warranty was up parts started falling off this thing like a cartoon. We just had to take it in for a $450 oil pressure sensor that caused us to lose the entire contents of our engine oil in less than an hour. That's a MAJOR engine component and WOULD have been covered under the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty... EXCEPT it doesn't transfer to the second owners. I've owned cars with 200,000 miles on them that never needed an oil pressure sensor replaced. That is a major engine component that should last the life of the vehicle.

I'm terribly disappointed in this vehicle and Kia service in general. If you absolutely have your heart set on one of these, intend to have it paid off and traded in by the end of your 60,000 mile warranty or it's going to cost you thousands per year to keep it limping along.

Great Car Except..the minor NON DEPLOYING AIR BAGS
By Whitney Alt

2011 Kia Sorento 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I love this car. Seriously I do. Which is why I am sickened about the safety issue I have learned about with Kia's air bags. I read several reviews on here before I purchased it and am disappointed none where about the air bags. My air bag light came on suddenly. Vehicle was not involved in any sort of accident. Took it in and bottom line I had to have an entire new driver side air bag and assembly replaced. When I question how the heck an air bag needs to be replaced with out being in an accident or tampered with Dealer says, "It just happens, the air bag is defective." Well I wasnt going to drive around in a vehicle who's driver side air bag was not functioning. So I coughed up $1300 to get it fixed. Figured I'd go after Kia after the fact. They have told me no, and no again. One of the reps tried telling me this isn't a safety issue. Seriously? Anyways, I will get my money out of them. In the mean time a little internet research reveals several, several stories of people who did not have an air bag light on and where in roll over or other serious collisions and NO air bags deployed. Scary. Wonder if the rest of my air bags will work in a collision...?

great bang for the buck
By jim

2011 Kia Sorento 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

can't buy a better mid-size suv for the money

Great Kia
By Mac

2011 Kia Sorento 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

Great warranty, great reliability, good value, excellent resale value, 2011 41,600 miles!

twitchey & in the dark
By david nixon

2011 Kia Sorento 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

The steering on the Sorento is just plain bad! This vehicle has electronic assist steering and has zero play in the steering wheel. A vehicle with has no play in the steering wheel is difficult to drive as very little movement in the steering wheel will cause the vehicle to move in that direction. I do remember when I took driver Ed. the teacher spent a session explaining why the steering wheel needs some play in it. As we drive we move the steering wheel a bit at a time to keep the vehicle on the path we want it to go. If there is no play just the smallest movement will cause the vehicle to move back and forth and make it very uncomfortable to drive. I would think on an icy road this would be very dangerous. Also the back up camera is so dark it is all but useless. In the daytime the reflection on the screen makes it very difficult to see and at night it does not show up well. I think the back up camera is more dangerous than not having one as the driver has to lean over towards it to try and see it better to no avail. I went to a Kia dealership and they looked at both problems and they explained to me that is the way they are built and there was no fix for the problem. The service manager agreed that these were problems but he apologized as there is no fix! I called Kia and the rep at Kia consumer contact said I test drive the vehicle and signed the contract so I would just have to put up with it!