Used 2011 Kia Sorento Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Kia Sorento - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sorento model:

2011 Kia Sorento
By redwinejl

2011 Kia Sorento LX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Bought new Aug. 2011. I have 117000 miles with no mechanical problems. I am retired and put many miles on this car going from home to our kid home almost weekly. I did have an alternator replaced on recall, but that is it. I had 60000 mile dealer service performed as well as regular oil changes( I have always used full synethic), and maintain proper tire service. When I bought this car, I would have never thought of buying a Kia, as I did not think they were quality cars, but after owning this one for 4 and 1/2 years, Kia is a quality product and a car company that seems to be doing things right. I think this SUV will continue to serve me well for several more years.

Favorite Features

I like the acceleration of this SUV , as it is quicker than anything I have ever driven. Most of my driving is on Interstate Highways which require you to enter traffic at 70 to 80 mph which is no problem for the V6 Sorento. I like the seating arrangement, as it allows you to carry up to 7 passengers or to fold the seats down and carry cargo. I used this SUV several years ago to pull my small travel trailer to Yellowstone N. P. With no problems except keeping the speed down. Plenty of power.

Suggested Improvements

I am having a seat fold down issue at the moment, and I think that Kia needs to address this issue as it seems to be somewhat of a problem. I have 117000 miles on my Kia and this is my only complaint, and I am not upset about it. I am setting here trying to think of other problems, but I can not think of any at this time, so that says a lot for the quality that Kia has put into there vehicles. I have to tell you that I am a very critical person (grumpy old man) and an always looking for ways to improve things, so keep up the good work Kia.

Solid vehicle, great pricing used.
By newaccent2007

2011 Kia Sorento LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We purchased our Pacific blue LX 2.4L with 43k on the odometer. Since that time, we've only had very minor issues. The factory battery went bad at 48K, and now with 81K the sway bars need to be replaced which were cheap to order. I use the vehicle as my company car (contractor) and it now has 81K on it. The factory brakes are still about 30-40%. It's been an incredibly reliable machine, and it's used on and off road and down Amish township roads daily. Tough, durable, and reliable, and cheap to obtain too.

Favorite Features

Low cost to purchase, plenty of power (even with the 4cyl), reasonable handling, and incredibly comfortable seats. Excellent view of the road, and intelligently styled interior. Looks great, the design is still contemporary even though it's 5 years old!

Suggested Improvements

Transmission programming. It seems to be historically buggy. We've only had problems with it once. Otherwise it's always been smooth, and everything else is pretty solid.

Best Purchase To-Date
By sdolan

2011 Kia Sorento LX 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Recently bought the 2011 Kia Sorento LX (AWD, 6 speed automatic) and it has been the BEST purchase to-date. It has a truck chassis and so, if you like the feel/ride of a truck you'll enjoy this one. Smooth shift of gears helps enjoy the ride, though you have to watch your speed; 100 kms feels the same as 60 kms and I noticed I speed a little more (accidentally) in this vehicle.

Favorite Features

It is nice that it has eco-boost and better mileage than my 2010 Ford Escape (4, AWD) and is super quiet. Also more legroom for me (6'4") than the Escape. Has nice safety features too; voice calling, multi-phone sync, 3 12v outlets, rear backup sensor, multi-air bags, truck chassis and 3 child seat anchors in the second row (none in seat 6 or 7).

Suggested Improvements

It is a 7 seater but the rear seats are for children and/or short distances and has no rear anchors for child seats which would be nice to allow adults to take the second row. That is about my only complaint. Yes, you lose storage space with the far back seats up but that is what the roof rack is for, right?

Great family SUV for a great price!
By jenguinn

2011 Kia Sorento SX 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We bought our Sorento new in 2011 and have been driving it for 3 1/2 years now. We have been very happy with our purchase! We bought the Sorento instead of a Toyota Highlander due to the significant difference in price. The SX has all of the bells and whistles we wanted and we have not had any major problems with it in the 3 1/2 years that we have been driving it. Our vehicle has almost 40K miles on it now and we have driven it mostly in town and short highway trips of 2-4 hours. I still love the exterior design (even more than the newer Sorentos). And our local Kia dealership has been great for service. I would highly recommend this car.

Favorite Features

Exterior design, fun to drivce, gas mileage (quite good compared to other SUV's in this class; we have averaged ~16-18 city/24-26 hwy), warranty.

Suggested Improvements

I would still like to see SUV's get better gas mileage, or I'd love to see a hybrid Sorento in the future.

Unreliable KIA Sorento
By subalulf

2011 Kia Sorento EX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Our Kia Sorento (EX V6) had to have the transmission replaced at 15,000 miles (not the recalled version). The electrical panels replaced at 25k miles. Mysterious popping noise in axel went un-repaired because they couldn't figure out the issue. Interior component broke prior to 36k. It was supposed to be covered under warranty but local dealer network refused to repair. Claiming it was "broken" and not a factory defect. We did not "break" the part but customers have little recourse if the dealer network performs the evaluation (and damaged the part further during evaluation). In general, Kia corporate and the Kia dealers appear unreliable and unresponsive to multiple mechanical flaws.

Suggested Improvements

We would have filed a complaint with the better business bureau but decided not to waste our time with Kia any further and traded the car in for a more reliable brand.