2011 Kia Sorento - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sorento model:
Unreliable KIA Sorento
By subalulf on 03/11/14 21:35 PM (PDT)

2011 Kia Sorento EX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Our Kia Sorento (EX V6) had to have the transmission replaced at 15,000 miles (not the recalled version). The electrical panels replaced at 25k miles. Mysterious popping noise in axel went un-repaired because they couldn't figure out the issue. Interior component broke prior to 36k. It was supposed to be covered under warranty but local dealer network refused to repair. Claiming it was "broken" and not a factory defect. We did not "break" the part but customers have little recourse if the dealer network performs the evaluation (and damaged the part further during evaluation). In general, Kia corporate and the Kia dealers appear unreliable and unresponsive to multiple mechanical flaws.

Hard to beat this KIA head to head
By firstsergeant on 01/17/14 16:31 PM (PST)

2011 Kia Sorento EX 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

"We bought this vehicle in 2012. My wife drives this SUV on business trips everywhere." Although, most people do not like the harsh ride, it's designed to be a very stable and has a controlled stance. The engine power of the 3.5 is fine. With nearly 280 h.p. this vehicle will deliver. We have accumulated 85,000 miles so far. It's very easy on tires, brakes, and still has the original shocks and struts. The engine, transmission, and driveline are fine. The handling of the car still feels like factory new. We prefer the Bridgestone H/T 684 tires. They wear extremely well and even. The navigation, back-up feature, and interior lighting, (red) are great features. Buy one. Good for 200K.

Not Enough Bang For The Buck
By nojoke1 on 01/12/14 10:36 AM (PST)

2011 Kia Sorento SX 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We purchased a 2011 SX AWD with 42,000 miles recently. This being my first Kia and first SUV I was excited to say the least. However, after a few weeks of driving I started noticing little things such as rattles, rough ride, touchy steering, road noise, acceleration issues (barely touch the pedal and expect a whiplash), cheap plastic interior, uncomfortably flat seat cushions, and seat warmers with one setting (scalding or off). It has already been in the shop for shift lock cam being loose and within a month is going back for the same problem. I believe the Sorento has potential as being a quality vehicle but has several issues to improve on. I find it substandard for the price!

Quality family vehicle
By sorrentoski on 01/10/14 08:28 AM (PST)

2011 Kia Sorento LX 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Performs well, a little bumpy but the springs in drivers seat popped in second year. Best value in the cars we looked at, maybe saved 5K and it handles just as well. Interior is nice but fabric on seats stain pretty easy unless you upgrade. Its been a very reliable car with the recall items taken care of.

Best mid-size SUV on the market today
By cooooolio on 10/22/13 23:31 PM (PDT)

2011 Kia Sorento SX 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my 2011 Sorento SX AWD new and it has been an absolute pleasure to drive. It is the best new car I've ever owned in my 50+ years on this planet. It was heavily researched before purchasing and there were very, very few negative reviews. Anything that did come up was related to some early transmission problems on the 4 cylinder models. The 2011 Sorento has been a joy to drive and I expect to drive it well past the 10 year/100,00 mile warranty. KIA knocked it out of the park with the Sorento.

Kia Sorento Three Years Later
By lad3 on 09/02/13 13:13 PM (PDT)

2011 Kia Sorento EX 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have had the Sorento for 3 years now and wanted to share my experience. It has been a great car. I have almost 50K now and I have not had any problems with the car. Very reliable. With the V6 the car has plenty of power for when you need it. The ride is very comfortable. After I bought it I immediately took it to a road trip from DC to Maine and back. I really had to use the cruise control because otherwise I would easily increase my speed to 80 MPH or more without even noticing it. I like the interior design and the controls. Overall, I am very happy that I purchased the Kia Sorento. Great car, great value.

It performed so good, I bought another KIA.
By rsgamboa on 08/12/13 20:40 PM (PDT)

2011 Kia Sorento EX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Performance, fuel, design is great. I had it for 3 years now with 24,539 miles. Drives great especially on road trips (maybe except for the leather is a little firm). MPG is what they said it was. No problems yet inside and out. My wife and I like it so much (KIA) that 6 months after, we bought a 2010 KIA Forte w/ 6 speed auto transmission and electric motor steering.

2011 kia sorento ..two time loser
By dude35 on 05/03/13 16:43 PM (PDT)

2011 Kia Sorento LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

First 2011 had transmission problems at 11,000..could not fix it..SO we purchased a second 2011 thinking it would not happen again ( our expense) . Whoever thought it would happed AGAIN. TWO LEMONS. Dealer not very happy and neither are we. Second car almost 11,000 again.

Hoped for more
By helkins on 04/13/13 13:58 PM (PDT)

2011 Kia Sorento LX 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought mine used last year a 2011. Had a few problems in the beginning but they fixed it. It seems it was electrical and needed a software update and something about a brake switch. Other than that it has been running good. The battery does wear down quickly. The engine runs louder than what I think a new car should. Coming up on 30K service so will have it checked. Also the gas mileage is terrible. Not sure how some people are getting 22-23 in city on a V6 AWD. I get 15mpg but I am probably avg speed 35 and a lot of stop and go. Maybe that has something to do with it. But also on highway I haven't gotten more than 21mpg. Considering trading it in but wondering, con't below...

No pros only cons 14MPG
By rchrdbus on 04/08/13 08:38 AM (PDT)

2011 Kia Sorento LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bought the car in 2010. Car has 37000 miles on it, so far same issues other people have. Suspension is rough, rattle noise everywhere, tranmission is works whenever its feels like automatic. Had my car at high rev lines cruising in the freeway so i put it in tiptronic just put it in 6gear. Poor in gas. EPA says 21-29 which is reason i bought it, but city i been getting 14-18mpg and 22-26 at most highway. Regret purchasing this car

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Kia Sorento in VA is:

$127 per month*