2008 Kia Sorento SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sorento model:
100,000 miles in and all's well
By kudosk9 on 07/16/14 07:52 AM (PDT)

2008 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Now that I've written this review everything's probably going to go the heck. I purchased this brand new, off the lot, with less than 100 miles on the clock. It now has over 100K. This car has been a solid work horse for me. I've had to have it in for just one service that I wouldn't be considered wear and tear, and that was when a sensor went out at about 4mon and essentially meant the gas pedal wouldn't work. Apart from that, it's been the usual things that happen to a 6 year old car that has 100k on the clock.

Gas Cap - Escape light / check engine light
By terry137 on 07/25/13 03:44 AM (PDT)

2008 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4dr SUV (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the 2008 Sorrento used about 6 weeks ago. Check engine light/escape light has started coming on and vehicle will not run over 20 miles per hr. I have bought a gas cap and it still has not fixed the problem for more than a day. This is described in the book as a reason the check engine light to come on. A mechanic said the vents that vent the gas vapors can collapse. That is the next thing to have checked. I was looking online to see if any recalls but did not find any. Surely, this is not an isolated problem.

a lemon
By notveryhappy3 on 08/10/12 12:19 PM (PDT)

2008 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a 2008 Kia Sorento brand new. After 6 months i had to take back to dealer and the rotors had to be resurfaced so $150 later I had to take it back a couple of months later the throttle sensor went out. From there was every sensor in the car. I had to take it back to the dealersip every 3 months for a year, It has been 1 problem after another with this car. I started haveing a problem with the car when I would crank it of a morning it sounded like the motor was gonna come out of the car. I took it to the dealership and they told me it wsa just over due for an oil change (not) then they put some oil additavies in the car told me to drive it for a week and it would be fine (not) took

Kia will NOT fix the problem with our car.
By bridget_allen on 01/02/12 09:29 AM (PST)

2008 Kia Sorento SUV 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

At first everything was going fine, but then we started having trouble with our transmission. The SUV would stall and get stuck in 3rd gear. I took it to Kia several times and they could not find anything wrong, however, other places machines was showing a problem with the transmission. After several times of taking it to Kia..they finally found the problem and so called fixed it. They did not fix it...it is still doing the same thing and NOW they can not find ANYTHING wrong......

Wish I had read the reviews
By lsunburst on 08/18/11 10:35 AM (PDT)

2008 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a used Sorento with low miles a little less than a year ago. The car has been in the shop for a faulty transmission sensor 3 times without much of an explanation from the service department (the positive is all repairs have been covered under warranty). I wish I had read the reviews before purchasing, as the HARD shift and the passenger air bag comments would have alerted me I might not be happy with the choice. I have lost my faith in this car due to the transmission issues, and am looking at trading it in.

This vehicle has been great
By jacobe on 05/12/11 17:55 PM (PDT)

2008 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Okay the problems that people have been stating are easily solved. The rattling in the trunk, its the jack in the back, simply put a towl back there with it, the back seat trim is just to cover the hinges on the seat. They are not that important, and the airbag sensor in the passenger seat is working the way it should be, you just have to sit in the seat the correct way. Now to the car its self. It has been great 70k and no troubles at all. I do have to say though the transmission does shift hard sometimes but its not that big of a deal. Great power from the engine, it does suck up the gas though. Overal it is an excelent reliable car to have.

It's not the car; it's the dealer/service
By garibaldibyrde on 03/07/11 08:36 AM (PST)

2008 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

As much as I like my 08 Sorento LX, it's not the car, it's the dealer/service! The Sorento seems to be one with certain issues that plague most of the models. For example, so-so MPG, the passenger air bag sensor, brake rotors, hard shifting transmission (intermittent), rear differential failure and a front, testy transmission when in 4WD and recurring right side axle seal leak. These are problems which should be handled under warranty by any KIA dealer. Unfortunately, that is not the way the company does business. If you get lousy service at one dealer, you should be able to go to another dealer for service without problems. Not so with KIA. Let the buyer beware! Also if you miss any of the recommended services, they won't honor the warranty if any parts are adversely affected, even if the part just went bad on its own! KIA is extreme with their maintenance recommendations and timeliness of the services. Also be very careful when buying in the showroom. Every dealer is trained in HIGH PRESSURE sales/scare tactics. Don't allow them to pressure you into buying a car that you don't want. A "similar" vehicle is not the "same" vehicle that you want. Brush up on your haggling and bargaining skills and be prepared o walk out if you can't reach an agreement.

I'll Never Buy Another Kia
By Shannon on 11/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I don't know where to start. This was my first new car purchase and I am so disappointed. I guess I'll just make a list: 1) recurring transmission problem (shifts hard) it's intermittent and the dealership can never replicate it so they won't fix it 2) passenger airbag sensor only works intermittently, they've changed the whole seat cushion twice, it still doesn't work 3) the air conditioning compressor has been replace twice and a pulley once 4) rear hatch rattling 5) horrible gas mileage, 6) terrible sound system 7) rear floorboard trim keeps popping off 8) air blows out all vents no matter what setting you have it on 9) headlights 10) valve cover gasket is leaking, I would not recommend it!

I love my Kia
By Lea Ann on 10/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Kia Sorento SUV 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I read so many reviews on here before I bought my Kia, so I wanted to return the favor. After much research and prayer, I bought my '08 Sorento with 7000 miles on it. Got a great price, but was apprehensive about the name. I have driven it daily for over a year and have had NO problems of any kind. I spoke at length with a Kia mechanic and he told me the '08s and later were much better designed and were on par with Toyota quality--without the price tag. I have found that to be true. Love the powerful V6 engine, sporty body style, and handling. I does ride a bit rough, as it is on an SUV frame, but I already knew it would so it doesn't bother me. Don't be afraid of the Kia name!

Some good, some bad
By Beth on 07/13/10 09:10 AM (PDT)

2008 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4dr SUV (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

Traded sedan in, wanting to sit higher due to blind spots. My mpg averages 21, esp if I keep my husband, teenage son out of it. Not at all pleased with passenger seat sensor explanations . Most recent trip in was told that I do not weigh enough. Hello! At 140? I do not feel comfortable in trusting the air bag system at all because of the sensor issue. Transmission has had to be serviced already. Bulbs already have had to be replaced (both low beams -- 1 year old vehicle -- and bulbs not released to be sold outside of dealership at this time). Major inconvenience. Horrid sound system. Will trade as soon as I can w/out loosing a fortune.

1 2 3 4 5 next »

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.