Used 2008 Kia Sorento SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Kia Sorento - Consumer Reviews

2008 Kia Sorento SUV

View reviews for a specific Sorento model:

100,000 miles in and all's well
By kudosk9

2008 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Now that I've written this review everything's probably going to go the heck. I purchased this brand new, off the lot, with less than 100 miles on the clock. It now has over 100K. This car has been a solid work horse for me. I've had to have it in for just one service that I wouldn't be considered wear and tear, and that was when a sensor went out at about 4mon and essentially meant the gas pedal wouldn't work. Apart from that, it's been the usual things that happen to a 6 year old car that has 100k on the clock.

Favorite Features

This has been a dog hauling vehicle. I can fit my two SUV sized crates in the car. It offered the best size and value. Any other car with this kind of capacity would have cost another 6k+, or I'd have had to go for a minivan. It's comfortable, has a firm ride (I prefer that as a 'boaty' feeling makes me sick). Good solid array of entry level features and is surprisingly solid in snowy/icy weather for a RWD vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, yeah, it sucks. I downloaded an App and started recording the $/# and found it to be 15/21 downhill, with the wind behind me, sticking firmly to the speed limits. High speed and A/C will kill that mileage. An additional cup holder in the front doors would be handy and I'd really like to see a compass in the mirror as standard. The road noise is high, but I recently found my friend's Ford to be much higher, so I guess it's not so bad.

Gas Cap - Escape light / check engine light
By terry137

2008 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4dr SUV (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the 2008 Sorrento used about 6 weeks ago. Check engine light/escape light has started coming on and vehicle will not run over 20 miles per hr. I have bought a gas cap and it still has not fixed the problem for more than a day. This is described in the book as a reason the check engine light to come on. A mechanic said the vents that vent the gas vapors can collapse. That is the next thing to have checked. I was looking online to see if any recalls but did not find any. Surely, this is not an isolated problem.

Favorite Features

Comfortable to drive and ride in

Suggested Improvements

less rattles

a lemon
By notveryhappy3

2008 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a 2008 Kia Sorento brand new. After 6 months i had to take back to dealer and the rotors had to be resurfaced so $150 later I had to take it back a couple of months later the throttle sensor went out. From there was every sensor in the car. I had to take it back to the dealersip every 3 months for a year, It has been 1 problem after another with this car. I started haveing a problem with the car when I would crank it of a morning it sounded like the motor was gonna come out of the car. I took it to the dealership and they told me it wsa just over due for an oil change (not) then they put some oil additavies in the car told me to drive it for a week and it would be fine (not) took

Favorite Features

the car back told them to keep it over night and crack it the next morning which they did and finally heard the noise. They found metal shaving in the oil pan and yes I needed a new motor due to manufactoring errors then 6 months later the computer went out had to replace that and now they have had it in the shop for 2 weeks for the gas pedal and sensor that has been replace 5 times now. I have not owned the car 4 years yet and I am scared to drive it very far.I am waiting to hear from the regional office as I have filed a legal complaint for a faulty car..

Suggested Improvements

The whole car

Kia will NOT fix the problem with our car.
By bridget_allen

2008 Kia Sorento SUV 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

At first everything was going fine, but then we started having trouble with our transmission. The SUV would stall and get stuck in 3rd gear. I took it to Kia several times and they could not find anything wrong, however, other places machines was showing a problem with the transmission. After several times of taking it to Kia..they finally found the problem and so called fixed it. They did not fix it...it is still doing the same thing and NOW they can not find ANYTHING wrong......

Favorite Features

The looks alone....

Suggested Improvements

Improve the service department so they can locate and fix problems with the cars.

Wish I had read the reviews
By lsunburst

2008 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a used Sorento with low miles a little less than a year ago. The car has been in the shop for a faulty transmission sensor 3 times without much of an explanation from the service department (the positive is all repairs have been covered under warranty). I wish I had read the reviews before purchasing, as the HARD shift and the passenger air bag comments would have alerted me I might not be happy with the choice. I have lost my faith in this car due to the transmission issues, and am looking at trading it in.

Favorite Features

The profile compared to other mid range SUV's is a plus.

Suggested Improvements

A review of the transmission appears to be in order based on my experience and the experience of other that have reviewed the 2008 Sorento. I have not looked at reviews of the current model, and maybe the transmission has been addressed.