Used 2006 Kia Sorento Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Kia Sorento - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sorento model:

Worth checking out
By dstockdale

2006 Kia Sorento EX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my 2006 Sorento in 2009 with only 15,000 miles on it. If you'd have asked me 5 years ago if I'd buy a Kia, I'd have told you no. This one had all the bells and whistles I wanted (heated leather seats, moon roof, etc). Being the 2nd owner, I still had 45K miles left on the bumper to bumper warranty when I purchased it and, here I am at 57,000+ miles and still thrilled. Is it a BMW? No, but I knew that going in. After 2 years of ZERO issues, I'm pretty happy. Oh, it does tend to need headlight and tail lights changed frequently but whatever.... even me, a girl, was able to do that myself and for cheap. Would I recommend, yes, definitely.

It's very appealing to the eye and fun to drive. It's "zippy".

Smoother ride, which I guess Kia has done in the newer body style, better gas mileage.

Awesome Truck!
By aaronmateo

2006 Kia Sorento LX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my used Sorento about a year and a half ago with 48,000 miles on it and I cannot rave about it enough. Purchased it in Milwaukee and have driven it down to Austin, Texas, back to Milwaukee, back down to Austin, out to New York City, around NYC in the hardcore NY traffic for 5 days, then back to Milwaukee, not to mention a year and a half of miscellaneous city driving. It got me through the Great Blizzard of 2011 this past week too - kicked it into 4-wheel drive and it hummed through apocalyptic levels of snow, wind, and cold like a champ, didn't even flinch. Haven't had a single problem with it. If you're looking for a smaller SUV, have a look at a Sorento. Durable. Reliable. Fun.

Great 4x4 capability! Very good fuel economy for an SUV, especially on the highway.

I'll never buy another Kia!
By syeats618

2006 Kia Sorento LX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I really love the look of my Sorento, however it has been a disappointment. The brake lights have gone out so many times I've lost count, the headlights have burned out, interior lights have burned out, the windshield wiper fluid won't come out, the brakes have been replaced, the tires have been replaced and the jack is too small for the SUV. I had to use 3 different jacks from my neighbors just to clear the tire from the ground to change it. I have just over 61,000 miles on it so the warranty is now out and I have the windshield wiper issue and the light on my console is out. I don't know if it's worth repairing but the sad thing is that I only have 1 more year before it's paid off.

I love the exterior. To me it looks like the shape of the BMW SUV. I also like how it drives.

The electrical problems on this SUV need to be resolved. Almost every review on this website complains about how many times the headlights and brakelights go out.

You couldn't pay me to buy another Kia!
By mm2kanda

2006 Kia Sorento LX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

We purchased our Kia new Feb. 2006 when it had about 18 miles on it. In less then 6 months the check engine light came on. Not a big fan of dealerships but assuming things are under warranty we take it to the dealership in the town we live in. We are told it's not covered anymore by about 800 miles ago (CO2 sensor). We fixed it ourselves. Light still randomly comes on and goes off. We blow headlamps what had been about 3-6 months apart but now as soon as 10 days. My dash light has been randomly going off for about a year and now my dome light randomly goes on. Our dome light stopped working correctly 2 years ago. Very uncomfortable on long trips especially for tall men. Just a gag car!

HA!

Well maybe the 2011's are better but from what I've seen they are like 5k-10k more. Will that fix it?

Do NOT BUY!
By Eli

2006 Kia Sorento LX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Sorento new in 2006. Within 2 months of driving it off the lot, I had to replace a tire. At the 3 month mark, the check engine light began coming on repeatedly. In 4 years, I have gone through 2 and a half sets of tires, several tail lights and headlamps. NOW, my air compressor went out and the dealership wants $800+ to fix. Although this is an affordable car initially, it will cost you in the long run. It looks nice, but is not fuel efficient and it makes random noises when you are driving. I regret trading my Corolla for this. I will be getting another Toyota ASAP!

Comfortable Interior