Used 2006 Kia Sorento SUV Consumer Reviews - 85 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Kia Sorento SUV - Consumer Reviews

2006 Kia Sorento SUV

View reviews for a specific Sorento model:

get what U paid for, maybe
By Key-uh

2006 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought new, a lot of Dealer gimmicks, Dealership has since been sold.
Michelin tires (new) wore out after only 27K miles, probably hot, rough roads to blame.
First time on a very steep mountain downhill brakes became very hot, nearly failed.
Otherwise, good MPG at first, 89 octane best for freeway speeds.
Went to a dealer in another state for 30K maint., less zip but better MPG.
Local Dealer replaced some power steering hoses and pesky doorjam lock dented by dangling seat belt.
A high-end shop did the 60K service, after 4K miles, loud noises.
i parked this Kia for a few years.
Now running nicely.
Great handling, good turning radius, smooth solid feel.
Has been an awesome snow vehicle.
Versatile storage, car-camper.
Check service records and have a mechanic verify.

Electrical systems from the 1950's
By Rich Hart

2006 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Overall, a comfortable (I'm 6'3") solid vehicle, but poor fuel economy and many electrical problems. Dome light diode (whoever heard of such a thing), door lock actuator (never had one fail even in the GM garbage of the 70's and 80's), heater blend door actuator, and crankshaft angle sensor ($900 repair to replace shitty magnetic pick up, but buried in engine). The sunroof plastic guide rail broke at 5 years with little use, so roof will slide but won't tilt. Temperature gauge has never worked reliably, even after 3 trips to dealer when new. I finally gave up as it wasn't important. Factory replacement windshield wiper blades last only 18 mos! Most of the problems are just annoying, but the crankshaft sensor problem is way too frequent...should have been a recall.
Also, seat belt retraction springs are going bad.

The build quality own the new models looks worse, so it will be a Honda, Nissan, or Toyota next time. I also have an 18 year old Infiniti with 70,000 miles, and have had less than one- fourth the problems!

Would buy 5!!!
By sweet_deal

2006 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love this car! It I has been my favorite! I bought it used, with 16500 miles on it. For an 06 I bought in 07, the one thing I have replaced on it and right now it's 2014, is a battery! Knock on wood...
Gas isn't really good but I put better gas in it rather than unleaded, that raises it almost double. I put injection cleaner in all the time! Keep it clean, all fluids good all the time. Best kinds, to make sure runs tip top! I could not ask for a better car.

4x4, stereo system, large back for storage, foldable seats for more storage! Great pick up! Great handle.

Blind spots.

Don't make a mistake
By pmjudianne

2006 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Had to replace headlights frequently and out of nowhere it started clicking in the motor.
We called the local Kia dealer in Lufkin and they told us that sometimes a lifter gets stuck and just to put in "SeaFoam" oil.
We did and the sound just got louder, we called again, the car had only 73000 miles and they repeated that there was nothing to worry about and just to "rev" the motor and it would work its way loose.
One week later the car was still clicking and we called again, the mechanic said we would have to just give the oil time to work. We did just what they said and the motor froze up.
Then we found out they would not honor the warranty because we were not the original owners.

Headroom is okay. Turning radius is fine. Gas consumption is mediocre. Lights and electrical systems need a lot of work--if you buy one, be prepared to replace the lights often.

Suggest that they warn all people buying the Kia not to. Put your money somewhere else. Warn people that the 100000 mile warranty is not worth the paper it is printed on and only for a sales pitch. Warn people that when calling Kia car dealerships for advice to take that advice and throw it into the nearest river.

Would not recomend
By maddogsmama

2006 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought a 2006 Kia Sorento LX in 2010 and since then I've had nothing but problems! I replaced the crank shaft sensor, cam shaft sensor and the AC. With labor and parts that cost me about 1,600. I have only put 20,000mi on it since I bought it! Therefore, I would NOT recommend a Kia to anyone!! My first experience as a Kia owner was nothing but a headache!