Used 2005 Kia Sorento Consumer Reviews - 258 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Kia Sorento - Consumer Reviews

2005 Kia Sorento

View reviews for a specific Sorento model:

10+ years and still a great SUV
By Scott

2005 Kia Sorento LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Sorento LX 4x4 new in January 2006 (2005 model year) and it has been a very dependable vehicle and I have enjoyed owning it. It has only been back to the dealer one time for minor repairs, brakes and new belts in 10 years. Very reliable and I love the truck design platform with real four wheel drive. It will easily crawl up any mountain jeep trail in 4x4 (low setting). It has good towing capacity. I may have been lucky that I did not end up with one of the Sorentos that mechanical or electrical issues, based on the problems in other reviews. When it is in standard 2wd the rear wheel drive can loose traction easily on icy roads, but it plows through everything with secure traction in 4 wheel drive (high setting). The only other repairs that I have done are the exhaust flex pipes were replaced when holes developed, replaced the tires and regular oil changes. Gas mileage varies considerably based on driving. I typically get 9-14 mpg driving in my hilly city, but on the highway it gets 18-22 mpg depending on speed. I just did 700+ miles of mostly freeway driving at 70 mph in the winter 32 degrees on day and 0 degrees a few days later and still got 21-22 mpg both times. On slower 55 mph highways I have gotten 24 mpg when fully loaded down with a weeks worth of camping gear and an 18 foot canoe on the roof. I'm happy I bought it and still enjoy driving it, the seats are very comfortable, the interior is nicely designed, I still take it on road trips and down remote logging roads. I don't put a lot of miles on it because I live in a smaller city and don't do my daily commute to work in it. I happily get to walk to work all year for my commute! In town it is primarily used for hauling supplies to work. Glad I bought my Sorento LX :)

Still Runs like a champ after 10 years!!
By Ashton

2005 Kia Sorento LX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

Me and my family have owned this car firsthand since 2005 and it has been such a fun, exciting reliable car since the day we bought it! Ok so firstly Id like to say obviously if you bought the car second hand you cant really blame the car for poor performance issues or problems. Each car has its own history and of course with good care will last a long time. That being said I can start my review... ok where to begin... alright well performance wise the car has alot more power than expected. The 3.5 V6 has about 195 HP which is really great and the engine combined with the transmission has always been very responsive and seems to never dissapoint. As far as comfort I personally am content with the vehicle. I mean its not comparable to a plush couch but its not uncomfortable either. The quality of the vehicle is decent, Kia is known for using cheaper parts but its nothing too degrading. When you enter the car its what you can expect from an average car. Now hands down this is the toughest car Iv ever owned. Iv only been in 2 accidents, one of them I was rear ended at a red light and it was an extremly hard hit. Other than damage to the bumper and tail gate towards the back of the car thats all that really happened, and I was personally ok other than a small ammount of whiplash due to my position at the time of Impact. The car has never left me stranded anywhere and I havnt had to replace anything too major other than thing that with wear and tear need fixing. Probably the biggist repair has been changing the timing belt just because you literally have to take off every accessory on the engine and its very time consuming and a bit of a pain. Our sorento now has a little over 160,000 miles and still runs like a champ, a can floor it anytime, make hard stops frequently, and steer abruptly anytime I feel like it without having to worry about damage or wear. And I can confirm I have driven the heck out of that car, I meanIv put extreme wear in it and she still runs great. So aside if all the great things the sorento has to offer, some down falls are... the paint on the hood, roof and other small areas has faded completley. Iv noticed my sorento isnt the only one that has a faded hood though and sort of in the same shape. I actually think it might be due to the heat of the engine over time... then again its a decade old so you can expect that. Another downfall is bad gas mileage. Its rated I believe at 16 MPG or so but when you drive it hard like I do go ahead and bump that number down to 14 mpg. And lastly, I wish the cars hood didnt slope down so much, it makes it look more like a van than a SUV. Although the 2009 Sorentos hood did improve concerning that... So yea anyways the cars not a clunker, Kia did a very good job with their 05 Sorento and obviously it does has flaws just like every other car but take it from me It still holds the champ title in my eyes, and I still pride the car to this day. So many valuble memories have been made with it, and I comend Kia on it. I just wish the 2016 Kia looked different and I also wish they hadnt strayed from the true SUV body style. The 2016 personally looks like a mini van and it doesnt have the same off road capability or ruggedness as my 05 does.

do not buy a kia worst car ever
By tranikah

2005 Kia Sorento LX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

worst car ever gave me problems since day one !!!!

Don't buy a Kia!!!!!
By maureen26

2005 Kia Sorento LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Kia used. So of course the 100,000 mile warranty was not valid. I have poured so much money into this vehicle over the 3 years I've owned it. I maintain it properly, oil changes, new tires, etc. Well, I just found out the entire rear axle and differential completely rusted/rotted away to nothing. The only thing holding up the car was a shock! I truly believe this car was made poorly with cheap metal. Kia will not help me or stand behind the cars they build. When replacing the rear axle the mechanic found a part that was manufactured wrong in the factory and put on backwards. Again, KIA stands behind nothing! I could have purchased a rental car with all of the times I've had one.

The interior is nice. Good stereo. Nothing else with this car impressess me at all.

Build a car for safety, stand behind your customer when it comes to manufacturing defects, and please,please fix the electrical system.

Top Notch!
By joatrades

2005 Kia Sorento LX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Sorento used in '06 with 12,000 miles on it. Now have 89K. Love the fact that it is a true 4x4! The rear end is just like a truck, unlike most newer SUVs (including the '12 Sorento!) Never had issues with lights but brakes are below par as is the sheet metal (thin), fuel economy is not great either. Paint, A/C engine, & tranny all are top notch. Very reliable & would buy another '05 or '06.