Used 2004 Kia Sorento Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Kia Sorento - Consumer Reviews

2004 Kia Sorento

View reviews for a specific Sorento model:

"POWER TO SURPRISE" IS RIGHT
By beastly_sorento

2004 Kia Sorento EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Sorento! I bought it with 73,000 miles on it, for around ten thousand including a standard lifetime powertrain warranty(really sealed the deal). After 5 months and 8,000 miles, I would of bought it without the warranty. The engine is extremely reliable and the 4 wheel drive is awesome. The gas mileage is O.K., but what can I expect from a V6 4x4. Because this is a true 4x4, the ride can be a little rough, but the cushy seats help a lot. Overall, this is a reliable and fun to drive vehicle that has all the goodies at a rock bottom price. Buying a Sorento was a smart move for me and it will be too for you.

Favorite Features

I have the EX model, so I have all the goodies including the sunroof which is my favorite. I also like the two-tone paint, because it sets it apart from all the other less awesome SUVs. :)

Suggested Improvements

Only improvement is a redesign. Good work KIA (especially with the Sorento)

Constant Recalls
By C. Murray

2004 Kia Sorento EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

It seems like it has been recalled for faulty engine bolt, now a recall for the induction replacement valve, plus service has been less than friendly. Take it to the dealer, walk into the service dept and they look at you like you have two heads! No "Welcome to KIA Service or Good Morning" just stares, like they just saw a deer in the headlights!! Wouldn't buy another one! Too much hassle for the money. I would take a chance on an American SUV! Called to get an appointment with the Service Dept. at the local KIA Dealer that advertises that they are open until 7:30 p.m. (called at 4:45 p.m.) - everyone had gone home! Won't Use BEYER VOLVO/KIA EVER! They could care less! Don't be fooled by the looks

Favorite Features

It's just an okay budget SUV, but constant worry of engine problems diminishes any favorite features!

Suggested Improvements

They need to test the build quality of the engine and powertrain! Improve the gas mileage too!

Not very impressed
By momof2

2004 Kia Sorento LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the car used, was told that it is in great condition, well not a week later we were in the shop for a noise that I can't even explain, was told by KIA mechanic that it is the ABS doing a self check, the sound has never gone away, then received a recall for a crank shaft bolt the had to have the rear door hinge replaced and the light bulbs are constantly burning out, and now the Check engine light keeps coming on for a transmission code p0700, and I was told there is nothing wrong with the car. I will never buy another KIA again, the people that work there are rude and they need to make a better vehicle.

Favorite Features

comfort, the drawer under the passenger seat

Suggested Improvements

fix the light bulb problem, make it more fuel efficient, and take the time to find out why it makes that noise

I wish I never bought a used KIA!
By Cara

2004 Kia Sorento EX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Well from the get go I was excited. I loved the outside and my two little boys under 3 wouldn't really mess up a used car and me care as much so it worked out due to the room also of an SUV. So I should have known while buying it the were replacing the timing belt not to get it I have had my drive shaft messed up and falling out along with the carrier bearings (sp.). Now my reservoir is cracked and being replaced and also my head gaskets are blown. I have had no heater and no air sometimes. It has stranded me and 3 kids and one adult in the middle of the road. They have no customer service at all and every time you call it's someone new because they can' keep their employees. No kia for me!!!!

Favorite Features

Inside. But not much else

Suggested Improvements

Customer service and a good service department or improvements and serious ones!

Love My Sorento
By Susy

2004 Kia Sorento LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second kia and it won't be my last.I've had my Sorento for almost 4 years now and only made 1 small problem. About a year ago I had a crack in the coolant holder. I call Kia, I had an appointment and was in & out in less than an hour. My next car is going to be a Kia Spectra 5.

Favorite Features

The room inside the car. I can carry 2 full size mastiffs.

Suggested Improvements

I don't have any.