2004 Kia Sorento - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sorento model:
Solid ride
By Canadian Sorento on 03/21/06 15:35 PM (PST)

2004 Kia Sorento LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Our choice was between the Ford Escape and the Sorento. Ford only had a 2 year 60,000km warranty vs the Kia at 100,000km and 5 years. The Sorento had more space for about the same money. Also had more airbags and side crash bars than the Escape.

Happy with Mine
By devilchick on 02/17/06 07:19 AM (PST)

2004 Kia Sorento EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I'm VERY happy with my Sorento. It has all the features I was looking for including my creature comforts and I am a picky person. It has great pick up, cruises nicely & handles well. "On the fly 4WD" is easy to use. Back seat is roomy & comfortable. I have had no problems with it at all in 17 months of ownership. Wish the gas mileage was a bit better. I'm getting about 19 highway which is where they rated it. I have long legs; when I position the seat back I feel too far from the steering wheel. Would like more adjustment there. Due to the many passenger air bags they didn't leave room to get your hand behind the sunvisor easily to bring it down. Surprised I don't see more of these on the road!

Sorento review
By Ricardo on 02/14/06 18:56 PM (PST)

2004 Kia Sorento LX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This car has outperformed any car I have had in the past including Hondas, GM, Ford, Chrysler, etc. Most comfortable car I have ever owned, also the power is unreal. It's got to have more than the 200 horses advertised. No problems with anything ...dealer is less than desirable though.

2004 Sorento Marginal at Best
By ablebaker on 02/10/06 15:20 PM (PST)

2004 Kia Sorento EX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Rust and reliability issues, dealer maintenance costs are exorbitant and warranty issues are always issues. 23,000 miles and a plastic bushing from a defective intake manifold gets sucked into the #6 piston which it destroys. Gas mileage is abysmal - 12mpg in town 17mpg highway going downhill with a tailwind. Next time it'll be a Honda.

Sold My Yukon SLT
By TomB on 01/24/06 07:34 AM (PST)

2004 Kia Sorento EX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle is everything it represents itself to be. It has plenty of power, comfortable. Very nice layout.

KIA not ready for prime time
By Rickj on 01/05/06 11:49 AM (PST)

2004 Kia Sorento EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

While we DO like our Sorento, we have had nothing but bad luck with the Kia dealership. Every time something goes wrong it has to be ordered from Korea! They didn't even have brake pads at the dealership and had to check at Kragen. The following things have failed already: Front differential leaked, CD player, front struts, cruise control. Rear springs are shot, but they claim vehicle abuse and won't replace. We have only had the truck out to desert for very light off-roading once, but we do have a 270 foot rough dirt driveway. (The 3 Series BMW seems to be able to handle it though). The truck is a nice for grocery shopping, but suspension not suitable for real 4X4 activity.

'04 5 speed LX Sorento
By SAABRento on 12/13/05 00:39 AM (PST)

2004 Kia Sorento LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Great SUV. The SE (RARE) 5 speed LX model has been nothing but a pleasure. The 3.5 Hyundai V-6 is powerful and has plenty of torque. The SUV is very quiet and has a solid ride. The controls are easy to find and the radio has the power of an aftermarket. The brushed ally interior is a $200 option and is stock on my model along with nerfbars and fog lights. The model I have has a limited slip differential rearend that in 4x4 is nothing but unstoppable.

my Kia
By paul buckshi on 11/19/05 13:15 PM (PST)

2004 Kia Sorento EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I was going to purchase either a Ford Escape or a Chevy Blazer. I test drove both, liked the Escape. There is a Kia dealer across the road, went there for a laugh. After driving and pricing the Kia I quit laughing. The Kia handled better, looked better and had a 60,000 mile warranty. Kia was over $2000 less and has more options. 16 months & 21,000 miles later, not one problem. Great suv, will purchase another.

We LOVE our Sorento!
By sorento_luvr on 11/03/05 20:01 PM (PST)

2004 Kia Sorento EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We love everything about our KIA Sorento, and feel bad for those of you that have not had good luck with yours! The only item we do not like is that the sun visors are not wide enough to cover the bright sun. There are too many gaps on the sides, and there are no "extenders" like Chevy's have. So ... we LOVE our Sorento, and have used it in 6 feet of Canada's snow, and on the beach in California. It ran like a dream. Go ahead, buy one! :-)

Don't waste your money
By billg on 08/09/05 12:19 PM (PDT)

2004 Kia Sorento EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is the 2nd Sorento we purchased. The first had a thumping in the drive shaft, after three replacements and a redesigned one and many other leaks and issues Kia bought it back. Mistakenly, I though it could be one bad SUV in a field of good ones. The second has leaky seals, a broken oil pressure sensor and now the rear differential went out in it, all at less than 15,000 miles. We take excellent care of our vehicles, my other truck has over 200K miles. Yes, the warranty is good, but what is the point if vehicle is always in the shop. Please do not waste your money on this SUV.