Used 2004 Kia Sorento Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Kia Sorento - Consumer Reviews

2004 Kia Sorento

View reviews for a specific Sorento model:

LUV my KIA
By Mel Schlobohm

2004 Kia Sorento LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

If you off-road, this is fun fun fun. Very little problem. 70000mi strong and it seems to get better. Left me stranded once but KIA had a tow vehicle to help within 30 min. (crank position sensor broke). It is very strong in 4wd low - wow. I can drive with the big boys no problem. Wish there were performance parts available.

Favorite Features

4wd

Suggested Improvements

performance parts needed

Kia does not honor warranty
By Lisa

2004 Kia Sorento EX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Horrible experience with this model and Kia Corp. Major issues with airbags, electrical , paint, faulty engine parts etc. One of the most undepenable cars I have ever owned. In a 30 year period. Most expensive in short range ownership also. Kia Corp. does not seem to care about the long term of the consumer for their products. If they did they would honor a problem on their known faulty parts. I will NEVER buy or deal with a dealership that has anything to do with this foreign make.

Favorite Features

Inside looks of interior and looks of exterior

Suggested Improvements

Stand behind your warranties. Especially when you know that you had a major fault in your engine coolant recovery tanks for 3 years. It should have been a recall. Not a TSB. Service dealership should be made to tell you about things like this. Not a courtesy. Think long term NOT Short !!!

Saying Goodbye to my Kia
By Michelle

2004 Kia Sorento EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my Kia for almost 5 years now. I really loved my Kia, it was a lot of car for such a reasonable price. I replaced my headlights and tail lights twice a year. A/C has never worked right (which can isn't good when you live in AZ). Dealership always tells me that it's running fine, so I have given up. The last two years I have put in a lot of money into the vehicle (I can't even remember all the things I have had done and of course not covered by warranty any longer).I am afraid that I will only be putting more into it the near future, so it is time to say goodbye. Dealing with the dealership was a joke and the overall cost to own this vehicle was much more than I had expected.

Favorite Features

Love how smooth it drives. Especially love how roomy the interior is especially with two car seats in the back. We have take camping and could fit so much into the back, especially with the seats folded down.

Suggested Improvements

Headlight and tail light issues- I have never had to replace these items in other cars I have owned. And to have to keep lights on hand to replace these twice a year is a bit much. Other mechanical items that I don't have enough room to itemize.

I'm Pleased Overall
By John Schleifer

2004 Kia Sorento EX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I"ve had the car for over 5 years now. I wanted to get quality and resale. However, the resale and problems are not that must different than American cars which I've always purchased. Not too many problems, but, as usual, when taking the car in for the minor problems, under warranty, they "cannot duplicate condition." However, now that my warranty has expired, they seem to find the issues ricght away when I'm paying for the repairs. Go figure. Probably my last Kia. Problems included: leaking radiator overflow tank, Air-Bag light, outdoor temperature guage (ner repaired by the way). Gas Miliage is terrible. My wife's Cheyy Avalanche gets better miliage!

Favorite Features

Looks. Extra Features.

Suggested Improvements

Gas Miliage! Confort of seats. Maybe I'm getting old but Ford/Chevy have softer leather seats!

Initial enthusiasm has drained
By Brian

2004 Kia Sorento EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

After overcoming many minor problems (tail lights burning out, clock not working, door ajar constantly coming on, etc.), I thought that overall I enjoyed driving my little SUV. Heat has now stopped working and I think it to be a cracked coolant reservoir which seems to be a recurring problem with Kia Sorento. This needs to be a warranty issue - if you don't fix the problem - your engine will overheat!! Crankshaft bolt failing three times and the numerous times I've had to spend trying to get all of the minor things fixed, my patience is waning. Problems are getting more serious and my time is too valuable to be spending in the shop. Love the style, fun to drive - but wouldn't recommend.

Favorite Features

Style, fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

All the nagging electrical issues (fuel gauge, lights, clock, sensors, etc.). Coolant reservoir cracking is a major issue. Crankshaft bolt shearing is a major problem.