2004 Kia Sorento SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sorento model:
Very happy after 4 years
By jmace57 on 04/15/08 10:43 AM (PDT)

2004 Kia Sorento SUV EX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Granted we only drive 7500 miles per year, but we have been very happy with our Sorento. In 4 years, only one warranty item - a piece of rubber molding in the passenger door. Pretty poor gas mileage, but we knew that when we bought it. The only other complaint is that the sheet metal seems "thin" - very easy to get dings. It is just the right size, lots of features, comfortable...and for us, bullet-proof reliable.

gas tank problem
By acea on 04/09/08 08:03 AM (PDT)

2004 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Hi! I Love my Kia. My problem is The last two times I filled the gas tank.. 1st time it didn't even registar that I put $40. of gas in it the 2nd time it took forever for it to register $30 of gas 3rd time filled fine but while sitting at an idle I went from 3/4 tank to 0 and slowly went back up to 3/4 dropped a little and back up again it is really strange. Has anyone any info one this problem?

Going to buy another one, new 2008?
By Charles on 04/06/08 09:18 AM (PDT)

2004 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We are presently considering buying another Sorento. A new 2008. There is nothing wrong with our 2004 that we bought new. It has been a trouble free vehicle. It has far exceeded our expectations compared to many other SUVs we have owned. It is my wife's vehicle. Biggest problem I have trying to convince her to get a new one is that she is in 'love' with this one. Every time Kia sends me the big discount offer and owner loyalty offer, and I start talking to her about getting a new one, she 'tears up'. "But I like this one!"

Great Car
By Great Car on 03/09/08 07:11 AM (PDT)

2004 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

72,000 miles and not a squeak, rattle, or repair. Drives like the day it came out of the dealership. Wonderful car, great value.

Fun vehicle to drive
By lab1 on 11/09/07 11:38 AM (PST)

2004 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Like some people, we were nervous about buying a Kia. I test drove several small SUVs and fell in love with the Sorento. I have 50K miles on it with no problems whatsoever. I've pulled a trailer and the 4wd has been great for the winter snow. I have been extremely happy with my Sorento and have been pleased.

Disappointed
By T. Brown on 10/25/07 06:03 AM (PDT)

2004 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car new and all I can say is that only an idiot (and that includes me) would pay $28,000 for this Korean piece of crap. Problems are too numerous to list, however have been covered under warranty up to this point. Too bad I don't get reimbursed for all my time sitting in the service dept waiting area. The mileage issue has nothing to do with engine size. The transmission is not geared properly which is why at 70 mph you tach out at 2800 rpm. Car needs a 5th gear. The vehicle is also rusting on the inside of the doors (the car has been garaged every day since bringing it home). The car is now worth only 13k and has every option on it that KIA offers. Will never buy another KIA.

Was Skeptical
By JKM on 09/11/07 14:34 PM (PDT)

2004 Kia Sorento SUV EX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

When I first ran across this SUV in an ad I thought no way, but the price created curiosity. Once I test drove it and compared it to similar SUVs like the Pilot and a Trailblazer it was hands down the superior vehilce. It handles great, accelerates well (very important in Houston's no signal/blinker culture) and is very confortable. Has cost me $120 in tickets because my wife enjoys the acceleration but not bad for being pulled over 6 times in 3 wks! Only problem has been lights (head, rear blinker) short circuiting.

Bad Bad Bad
By Allison on 09/07/07 10:54 AM (PDT)

2004 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Looks great, love all the options, but would never buy again! Too many major mechanical problems! 40,000 miles I have almost a whole brand new engine. The radio display went, new radio. New power steering rack, new driveshaft. And now the recall of the part that I have already replaced once. The paint is also peeling is some spots!

Hard vehicle to love.
By Unhappy on 08/26/07 14:35 PM (PDT)

2004 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Electrical problems from the start that still aren't addressed. Now we are into the drive train(driveshaft replacement that didn't stop the shaking). Oh boy, can't wait to try out the new rear end parts that will be going in tomorrow. Maybe not, because they may not have them by tomorrow. The paint is looking like it may go the route of blister and pop- the little rusty starbursts give this white vehicle the look of measles without previous vaccination. How can I forget the brakes all the way around at 19,000 miles. Another 10,000 miles and it was tires. All this and a disappointing 14MPG. Oh, this baby is a Lexus in disguise all right. Stay away if you want a really good car.

It's Okay
By carlos on 07/31/07 13:03 PM (PDT)

2004 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Great price, very reliable, good warranty.