Used 2004 Kia Sorento SUV Consumer Reviews - 436 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Kia Sorento SUV - Consumer Reviews

2004 Kia Sorento SUV

View reviews for a specific Sorento model:

PIECE OF JUNK KIA!
By Sandy

2004 Kia Sorento SUV EX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Quality is NONEXISTANT!I am getting rid of this car Has been repaired countless times.Driver side door handle broke off.Pull down handle for trunk broke off. CD player is eatting my cd's.Paint has chipped off of all buttons on radio and A/C controls. Paint has flaked off of the entire roof,tops of the mirrors & along wheel well trim. Shocks/arms that keep the trunk & the back window glass open have failed, so you have to hold them open manually. Car just had 3k worth of work done which included A/C compressor, leaking valves, coolant reservoir replaced.Coolant reservoir just cracked again yesterday.Head&Tail lights burn out every 6 mths.Sunroof leaks.Worst car I've ever owned!

There are no good features when the quality is crap and you are stranded on the road.

Suggested improvements? I suggest you run as fast as you can away from the Kia dealership! That's my suggestion. You get what you pay for. In this case I didn't even get that much.

Will never buy another Kia
By Artouchette

2004 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my 2004 Kia Sorento used in July 09. Had the bolt drop off three times, since. First two, it was under warranty. Shortly after the second fix by Sports Auto World in Bourne, it developed a new symptom, a burning smell. Took the car to the dealer, he was gone. (along with $1500 for an extended warranty that he never bought) Executive Kia, in New Bedford, MA took it in, and now, it was the Main Gasket?? I asked about the bolt issue, they assured me it was "fine." It died 3 days later. They claim they didn't touch it. Not under warranty. Too bad. I haven't even had the car a full year! Replacing Bolt repeatedly is not reasonable expense.

Better design in drive train parts! Own up to flaws, have integrity!

Love it too much
By Lee

2004 Kia Sorento SUV LX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have a dilemma.I love my manual transmission Sorento too much and it is aging. I bought it new in Feb 05 and have about 200000km on it. It pulls the 15' boat and loaded double snowmobile trailer.The guys are impressed that I am always right behind them on any trips.I have had a few of the problems others mentioned (coolant bottle leak, head lights burn out, fuel gauge fluctuates, occasionally speedo and cruise cut out) but nothing major.It is manual and as with other manuals I have had 2nd is getting stiff to shift into especially when the engine is not well warmed up.I am considering replacing it due to age/mileage and can't find another manual SUV with all the features I want. Ieeee!

looks,power,manual transmission,4x4

electrical stability (headlight, speedo, cruise issues), use better quality plastic for the coolant bottle

BEWARE of KIA !!
By LWaylett

2004 Kia Sorento SUV LX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

KIA Motors does not honor their warranties by FIXING the defects in their vehicles. My 2004 Sorento has had MANY bulbs replaced and Kia service said they did not know what the problem was. Now that my warranty has expired, I find that KIA DID know the harness wiring needed to be replaced so fix the reoccurring problems of headlights/tail lights going out. They knew this back in 2006, and made those changes on their new vehicles in 2007.

Nice looking car. PITIFUL PITIFUL service for Kia operators!

FIX the defects the right way the FIRST time!

Hmmm rethink your Kia sorento purchase
By ITSMECHRISTYMARIE

2004 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Like most sorento owners, I too have replaced tail lights, headlights, clock doesn't work, cd player has a cd stuck in it. Now I was driving home across the state and it overheated and engine shut off. I don't know what happened or if its covered. I still owe beau coup $$$ on it so if it's not covered do I just walk away from the loan? I'm not paying for a car that I cant drive or afford to fix. We'll see if they are more helpful at my dealership that what others have experienced.

Love the power seat, moonroof, radio controls on steering wheel

Get the electrical issues under control