Used 2004 Kia Sorento SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Kia Sorento SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sorento model:

Will never buy Kia again
By shawna

2004 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our Sorento 2 years ago with 46,000 miles on it, since then we have had nothing but problems. The clock never worked, and the radio never worked. We have brought it in for recall repairs a number of times. Now at 63,000 miles the engine started rattling, the warning lights came on, and it won't steer. It is our family vehicle and we only average 11,000 miles per year.

Everything!

Poor
By Jeannie Benson

2004 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I am very unhappy with my 2004 Kia Sorento First the water overflow tank went bad, both sides of the front end had to be replaced, multiple sensors. the head lights and tails lights continually go out. We have had to get the air charge the last 3 years and now it doesn't work at all and I still owe 3 months worth. Can't wait to be done with this lemon!

Glad to be rid of it!
By Julie

2004 Kia Sorento SUV LX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I had nothing but problems from the time I bought my Kia brand new. Crack in the drive shaft with less than 300 miles on it a month after I bought it. Constant electrical problems that the dealer couldn't fix: brake lights out every 3 months, headlights out every 6 months. Both headlights blew out at the same time once! $400+ to replace sensors, including throttle and airbag, which warranty had just expired (conveniently). Bad catalytic converter, which went bad 2K miles after warranty expired. This is the WORST purchase of my life. The only reason I didn't get rid of it sooner was because I was STUCK with it: they depreciate too fast you can't trade them in. PLANNED OBSOLESCENCE @ its best!

Smooth ride, nice exterior look

Better gas mileage, fix the electrical problems!

WARRANTY NEVER HONORED
By Susan

2004 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

The vehicle ran great during our test drive, then down hill battle since! We paid cash for the car, over $26K! have spent in excess of $5K that the "warranty" didn't cover...the problems with gas,[do not appreciate the 12 to 15 mpg], the heater or the air conditioner never has worked properly, stalls whenever without warning, all of the mechanics at the "certified" dealerships tell us, "oh, that part[s] is not covered, but you do need another $600.=/- check up!I want a civil action lawsuit brought against these thieves....help me get an attorney to take on the scammers, please. The dealerships and their mechanics are all at fault, the booklet the vehicle came with is extremely misleading!

this is probably my most favorite feature "COMPLAING ABOUT ALL OF THE PROBLEMS WITHOUT ANYONE LISTENING, STILL!" No one really cares that this horribly unsafe vehicle, that is not able to even heat or air condition, stop when supposed too, eats gasoline like we live in IRAN without any recourse

LET"S HIRE AN ATTORNEY FOR A CLASS ACTION SUIT FOR MISREPRESENTATION< I DO NOT KNOW HOW OR I WOULD OF BY NOW! I cannot afford any more $$$$ nor another car, this one has drained us dry

PIECE OF JUNK KIA!
By Sandy

2004 Kia Sorento SUV EX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Quality is NONEXISTANT!I am getting rid of this car Has been repaired countless times.Driver side door handle broke off.Pull down handle for trunk broke off. CD player is eatting my cd's.Paint has chipped off of all buttons on radio and A/C controls. Paint has flaked off of the entire roof,tops of the mirrors & along wheel well trim. Shocks/arms that keep the trunk & the back window glass open have failed, so you have to hold them open manually. Car just had 3k worth of work done which included A/C compressor, leaking valves, coolant reservoir replaced.Coolant reservoir just cracked again yesterday.Head&Tail lights burn out every 6 mths.Sunroof leaks.Worst car I've ever owned!

There are no good features when the quality is crap and you are stranded on the road.

Suggested improvements? I suggest you run as fast as you can away from the Kia dealership! That's my suggestion. You get what you pay for. In this case I didn't even get that much.