2004 Kia Sorento SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sorento model:
Great except for headlights
By wisconsin owner on 01/08/09 17:27 PM (PST)

2004 Kia Sorento SUV LX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have 78K miles on my 2004 Sorento. I have had great luck with the engine and original brakes and tires both lasted 75K miles. But I have replaced front headlights 9 times. Different bulb types, with gloves on, both at the same time, but they never last more than 6 months. Frustrating!!

Don't Waste Your Money
By Gary Kelemen on 01/08/09 13:41 PM (PST)

2004 Kia Sorento SUV EX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

At 80000 miles, the ICV valve broke and damaged the engine. After 2 months of warranty work, there is a persistent oil leak that the only dealership within 30 miles cannot fix. I spent $600 on auto rental during warranty repair. It just isn't worth owning. Run away from KIA!!

will never buy kia wouldn't recommend
By Angie on 08/26/08 09:15 AM (PDT)

2004 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We've had problems with this SUV from the word go, (bearing & brakes & engine bolt recall) when you called Kia, they give you the run around, I wish I never seen this SUV. Money gone out the window!

Will never buy a Kia again
By Tonya on 07/21/08 20:20 PM (PDT)

2004 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I loved this car until the windshield washer pump went out three times. I have a headlight go out about once a month. After changing the timing belt at 60,000 miles the engine locked up and the dealer told me it needed a whole new motor which would not be covered by warranty. I took it somewhere else and had it fixed for $600, no new motor needed after all! A CD is stuck in the CD player. The paint has chipped all over. The gas gauge is broken so I have to remember to reset the trip meter every time I fill up. The back passenger door latch keeps falling off. Poor MPG. Every time I have taken the car in, my complaints are not covered by the "bumper to bumper, 100,000 mile warranty."

JUNK
By Amber Shank on 07/20/08 19:13 PM (PDT)

2004 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this car for five months, in the first month it broke down on me and left me sitting 3 times ( one of the times in the middle of the road, and almost got hit by a school bus with my one year old daughter in the back seat) Have replaced the radio, 2 headlights, TPS sensor, Oh and it just left me sitting on the PA turnpike with my 2 children in 90 degree weather, cause the transmission went out. And it only took Kia 2 1/2 hours to get someone to tow it. If you want to throw your money down the toilet then by all means buy a Kia. I will never buy another Kia ever again, it's not safe, not dependable, and the gas mileage SUCKS!

"POWER TO SURPRISE" IS RIGHT
By beastly_sorento on 06/30/08 02:28 AM (PDT)

2004 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Sorento! I bought it with 73,000 miles on it, for around ten thousand including a standard lifetime powertrain warranty(really sealed the deal). After 5 months and 8,000 miles, I would of bought it without the warranty. The engine is extremely reliable and the 4 wheel drive is awesome. The gas mileage is O.K., but what can I expect from a V6 4x4. Because this is a true 4x4, the ride can be a little rough, but the cushy seats help a lot. Overall, this is a reliable and fun to drive vehicle that has all the goodies at a rock bottom price. Buying a Sorento was a smart move for me and it will be too for you.

Constant Recalls
By C. Murray on 06/25/08 06:44 AM (PDT)

2004 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

It seems like it has been recalled for faulty engine bolt, now a recall for the induction replacement valve, plus service has been less than friendly. Take it to the dealer, walk into the service dept and they look at you like you have two heads! No "Welcome to KIA Service or Good Morning" just stares, like they just saw a deer in the headlights!! Wouldn't buy another one! Too much hassle for the money. I would take a chance on an American SUV! Called to get an appointment with the Service Dept. at the local KIA Dealer that advertises that they are open until 7:30 p.m. (called at 4:45 p.m.) - everyone had gone home! Won't Use BEYER VOLVO/KIA EVER! They could care less! Don't be fooled by the looks

Not very impressed
By momof2 on 06/23/08 08:53 AM (PDT)

2004 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the car used, was told that it is in great condition, well not a week later we were in the shop for a noise that I can't even explain, was told by KIA mechanic that it is the ABS doing a self check, the sound has never gone away, then received a recall for a crank shaft bolt the had to have the rear door hinge replaced and the light bulbs are constantly burning out, and now the Check engine light keeps coming on for a transmission code p0700, and I was told there is nothing wrong with the car. I will never buy another KIA again, the people that work there are rude and they need to make a better vehicle.

I wish I never bought a used KIA!
By Cara on 05/22/08 08:24 AM (PDT)

2004 Kia Sorento SUV EX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Well from the get go I was excited. I loved the outside and my two little boys under 3 wouldn't really mess up a used car and me care as much so it worked out due to the room also of an SUV. So I should have known while buying it the were replacing the timing belt not to get it I have had my drive shaft messed up and falling out along with the carrier bearings (sp.). Now my reservoir is cracked and being replaced and also my head gaskets are blown. I have had no heater and no air sometimes. It has stranded me and 3 kids and one adult in the middle of the road. They have no customer service at all and every time you call it's someone new because they can' keep their employees. No kia for me!!!!

Love My Sorento
By Susy on 04/16/08 16:40 PM (PDT)

2004 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second kia and it won't be my last.I've had my Sorento for almost 4 years now and only made 1 small problem. About a year ago I had a crack in the coolant holder. I call Kia, I had an appointment and was in & out in less than an hour. My next car is going to be a Kia Spectra 5.