Used 2004 Kia Sorento SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Kia Sorento SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sorento model:

Love driving it - hate the recent fixes
By Barb

2004 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

Original owner. 140,000. Other than the headlight and coolant reservoir issues that ALL 04 Sorentos seem to have, I've replaced the throttle position sensor. Has been reliable and though mostly highway miles, it has never needed brakes (knowing how to drive a stick has helped with that). Doesn't eat tires, and get about 21 mpg. However, PCV and Catalytic Conv. need replacing now. Will be paid off next month and has NO resale value. Will drive it 'til the wheels fall off (fun off road), but hope I can get the parts for my mechanic for the current and upcoming fixes. Almost all must be purchased at the dealer.

Great SUV for off road. I put larger tires on. Runs with the big dogs in the dirt. Roomy inside. looks good.

Fix the sticking relay switches, headlight replacement, and coolant reservoir problems. Also - anytime I get near 70 mph, the drivetrain vibrates - that never got resolved and when it was out of warranty, it was ignored by the dealer service.

Annoying!
By mariebee

2004 Kia Sorento SUV LX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my Sorento brand new in 2004. Did my homework before I purchased it and people seemed to like it - at that time. I've had it for 6 years now and I've had to buy a new battery every year for 5 years because the factory installed CD (which was replaced twice) was using up all the juice. I've had to replace tail lights every year. The last 6 months, I've shelled out over $500 because of coolant reservoir leaks, after I paid off the dang thing.

Fun to drive, nice exterior looks

Fix electrical and coolant leak problems!

Disappointed owner
By Tanya DeMyer

2004 Kia Sorento SUV EX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've had nothing but problems with the electrical - head/tail lights out every 3-4 months, clock, interior lights, thermometer for outside temp all stopped working. Exterior paint started chipping when the car was only 2 yrs old.

Do not buy!
By soccerella

2004 Kia Sorento SUV LX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I loved my Kia at first. It was a great size..it drove smooth. Then after only 2 months a part broke which was fortunately being recalled. Now not even a year later it overheated and the crank shaft broke. will be 5-7 thousand dollars to fix. Paid cash for the car and now I'm out 6200. Can't even trade it in. If you have these problems tell them to look at the coolant leak before they fix anything else. That's where the major problem comes from. Once it starts overheating it's over. Thanks for nothing Kia.

I loved the size of this car which is what made me buy it over all.

Build it better Kia. The crank shaft needs to be rethought. Also what's up with the coolant reservoir..it cracked and messed up the whole car.

Great Value, Safe, minor inssues
By sbettencourt21

2004 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my Sorento for almost 2 years now and it has been very reliable I have had a couple problems with sensors which were covered under warranty. I feel I got a great deal on the car and I feel extremely safe in it with my children. Repairs I have had to pay for were very low cost such as lights which have to be replaced on any car. The 4wd works great in the snow on steep hills I have never been happier with a vehicle and there is plenty of leg room for my height. however back seat would be a tight squeeze for 3. We currently only fit 2 car seats

reliability, comfort, and safety

electrical. heated seats went out quick and lights. Also had to replace reservoir tank and a few sensors

• SUV