2004 Kia Sorento SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sorento model:
Will never buy another Kia
By Artouchette on 04/09/10 10:45 AM (PDT)

2004 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my 2004 Kia Sorento used in July 09. Had the bolt drop off three times, since. First two, it was under warranty. Shortly after the second fix by Sports Auto World in Bourne, it developed a new symptom, a burning smell. Took the car to the dealer, he was gone. (along with $1500 for an extended warranty that he never bought) Executive Kia, in New Bedford, MA took it in, and now, it was the Main Gasket?? I asked about the bolt issue, they assured me it was "fine." It died 3 days later. They claim they didn't touch it. Not under warranty. Too bad. I haven't even had the car a full year! Replacing Bolt repeatedly is not reasonable expense.

Love it too much
By Lee on 03/26/10 19:48 PM (PDT)

2004 Kia Sorento SUV LX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have a dilemma.I love my manual transmission Sorento too much and it is aging. I bought it new in Feb 05 and have about 200000km on it. It pulls the 15' boat and loaded double snowmobile trailer.The guys are impressed that I am always right behind them on any trips.I have had a few of the problems others mentioned (coolant bottle leak, head lights burn out, fuel gauge fluctuates, occasionally speedo and cruise cut out) but nothing major.It is manual and as with other manuals I have had 2nd is getting stiff to shift into especially when the engine is not well warmed up.I am considering replacing it due to age/mileage and can't find another manual SUV with all the features I want. Ieeee!

BEWARE of KIA !!
By LWaylett on 03/25/10 09:50 AM (PDT)

2004 Kia Sorento SUV LX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

KIA Motors does not honor their warranties by FIXING the defects in their vehicles. My 2004 Sorento has had MANY bulbs replaced and Kia service said they did not know what the problem was. Now that my warranty has expired, I find that KIA DID know the harness wiring needed to be replaced so fix the reoccurring problems of headlights/tail lights going out. They knew this back in 2006, and made those changes on their new vehicles in 2007.

Hmmm rethink your Kia sorento purchase
By ITSMECHRISTYMARIE on 03/14/10 18:14 PM (PDT)

2004 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Like most sorento owners, I too have replaced tail lights, headlights, clock doesn't work, cd player has a cd stuck in it. Now I was driving home across the state and it overheated and engine shut off. I don't know what happened or if its covered. I still owe beau coup $$$ on it so if it's not covered do I just walk away from the loan? I'm not paying for a car that I cant drive or afford to fix. We'll see if they are more helpful at my dealership that what others have experienced.

I love my Kia
By Roxy on 02/15/10 16:15 PM (PST)

2004 Kia Sorento SUV LX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

My Kia is an 04 and currently has 92k miles on it. I have changed the oil regularly, just got new tires last year, needed to change the tail lights about once a year. Other than that-new brakes...havent had a problem until now. I have an oil leak and the mechanic has to take the engine apart to find the leak. Said it would be $300-$400. So, not bad for 92k miles. I love my Kia-have had fun driving it. I will keep it until it dies! The gas mileage isnt very good but it is paid off due to the 0% financing I got on it when purchased new. I was rear ended by a very large truck going 45 mph and I was at a complete stop with my baby in the back seat. This Kia took the hit from hell like a champ.

LUV my KIA
By Mel Schlobohm on 12/21/09 15:06 PM (PST)

2004 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

If you off-road, this is fun fun fun. Very little problem. 70000mi strong and it seems to get better. Left me stranded once but KIA had a tow vehicle to help within 30 min. (crank position sensor broke). It is very strong in 4wd low - wow. I can drive with the big boys no problem. Wish there were performance parts available.

Kia does not honor warranty
By Lisa on 11/17/09 19:23 PM (PST)

2004 Kia Sorento SUV EX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Horrible experience with this model and Kia Corp. Major issues with airbags, electrical , paint, faulty engine parts etc. One of the most undepenable cars I have ever owned. In a 30 year period. Most expensive in short range ownership also. Kia Corp. does not seem to care about the long term of the consumer for their products. If they did they would honor a problem on their known faulty parts. I will NEVER buy or deal with a dealership that has anything to do with this foreign make.

Saying Goodbye to my Kia
By Michelle on 07/23/09 18:49 PM (PDT)

2004 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my Kia for almost 5 years now. I really loved my Kia, it was a lot of car for such a reasonable price. I replaced my headlights and tail lights twice a year. A/C has never worked right (which can isn't good when you live in AZ). Dealership always tells me that it's running fine, so I have given up. The last two years I have put in a lot of money into the vehicle (I can't even remember all the things I have had done and of course not covered by warranty any longer).I am afraid that I will only be putting more into it the near future, so it is time to say goodbye. Dealing with the dealership was a joke and the overall cost to own this vehicle was much more than I had expected.

I'm Pleased Overall
By John Schleifer on 07/12/09 15:06 PM (PDT)

2004 Kia Sorento SUV EX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I"ve had the car for over 5 years now. I wanted to get quality and resale. However, the resale and problems are not that must different than American cars which I've always purchased. Not too many problems, but, as usual, when taking the car in for the minor problems, under warranty, they "cannot duplicate condition." However, now that my warranty has expired, they seem to find the issues ricght away when I'm paying for the repairs. Go figure. Probably my last Kia. Problems included: leaking radiator overflow tank, Air-Bag light, outdoor temperature guage (ner repaired by the way). Gas Miliage is terrible. My wife's Cheyy Avalanche gets better miliage!

Initial enthusiasm has drained
By Brian on 02/01/09 11:39 AM (PST)

2004 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

After overcoming many minor problems (tail lights burning out, clock not working, door ajar constantly coming on, etc.), I thought that overall I enjoyed driving my little SUV. Heat has now stopped working and I think it to be a cracked coolant reservoir which seems to be a recurring problem with Kia Sorento. This needs to be a warranty issue - if you don't fix the problem - your engine will overheat!! Crankshaft bolt failing three times and the numerous times I've had to spend trying to get all of the minor things fixed, my patience is waning. Problems are getting more serious and my time is too valuable to be spending in the shop. Love the style, fun to drive - but wouldn't recommend.