2004 Kia Sorento SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sorento model:
FUEL MILEAGE 20+
By harleydad87 on 09/30/13 08:47 AM (PDT)

2004 Kia Sorento SUV EX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I just purchased an 04 Sorento EX w/ 105k on it. After reading about fuel mileage, we almost took our other vehicle on our day trip Saturday. 309 miles, mostly highway, cruise control at 75, w/ several stops, I still managed to get 20.5 mpgs. So, while 2 mpgs aren't much, I am sure that I could have got 22-23 had I kept speed at 65-70. Way better then the 18 from review.

Truly a comfortable, spacious and practical SUV!!
By kandeemann2001 on 12/14/12 19:44 PM (PST)

2004 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a 2004 Sorento EX Luxury from a private seller with 75,000 miles. Vehicle was in immaculate condition, but was plagued with issues in the beginning. Had to replace the drive shaft, throttle position sensor, spark plugs and brakes - but after all repairs were done and a thorough fuel injection cleaning service, it drives like brand new. This is truly a remarkable SUV. I'm a law student and wanted a comfortable vehicle to last me for a few years, and even though I had those repair issues, I have no regrets. It's good-looking, spacious, super comfortable and has more than enough power. Shifts are buttery smooth and engine performance is really impressive for an 8 year old vehicle.

Piece of Junk
By badluckbetty1 on 09/18/12 19:32 PM (PDT)

2004 Kia Sorento SUV LX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have the 2004 Kia Sorento and nothing but a piece of junk! Every since I bought it has been nothing but a headache and not minor things major costly items.. water pump, the ignition fried and would start BY ITS SELF!! The relay box went bad, all the belts had to be replaced and now the mechanic at my near by kia dealership says the timing chain is going bad and the car will be ruined if not fixed! The headlight and tail lights go out every other month. Kias are pieces of crap and I will never buy another if you are looking into buying this vehicle please dont save your time and money! ohh by the way my vehicle only has 81,000 miles on it and still falling apart!

Please Recall This Junk
By sniper_munkee on 01/23/12 16:51 PM (PST)

2004 Kia Sorento SUV LX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

So two months after I purchased this used no warranty they told us it'd take over 4000 to fix so it's been sitting in my backyard for the last three years. Still making payments on it.

Please Buyer Beware
By ambeaubian on 06/08/11 22:45 PM (PDT)

2004 Kia Sorento SUV EX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I foolishly purchased a 2004 Kia Sorento EX, in 2009, to date I have replaced the following, Crankshaft, rings, bearings, head qasket, radiator, oil pump. At a tune of 5300.00, at that time is how much I owed to pay it off. I now have a burning smell and smoke every morning that I drive it..No mechanic knows why it occurs, Also have the lights to be replaced rear and front, at least 6 times, my dash lights do not come on at all. Then the paint is chipping off of the hood. If the car stays running, its semi-reliable . If there is another two grand I have to put in this car. I will be buying a new one...A Ford.

caveat emptor
By mhuntz on 03/06/11 12:04 PM (PST)

2004 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

don't be fooled by the "rating" for this vehicle. most posts prior to 2007 are positive. after that, a precipitous fall off in satisfaction. intoxication from "new car smell', "i love you's" and chocolates (in the form of warranty promises from Kia) subside. after the romance, sobriety sets in. the love in the relationship gets tested. and when the $$$ strain hits the relationship, your lover (Kia) tells you to no longer believe in their commitment to the relationship. ("sorry about misleading you" , they exclaim, as they refuse to honor their vows (warranty coverage). Best get a divorce from this loser. Hope you had a pre-nup.

DONT BUY THIS JUNK!!!!!
By sniper_munkee on 01/11/11 17:23 PM (PST)

2004 Kia Sorento SUV LX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Constant disappointment. I was told it would take over 5000.00 to fix this junker. It's been sitting for over a year since I found that out. Now I don't know what to do and I'm still making payments on it.

Great car with 239K miles
By Paul on 11/11/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Kia Sorento SUV EX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

239,000 Miles and is still going strong. I am still very pleased and had no major mechanical issues. It rides very comfortably and has not developed any annoying squeaks or rattles. The interior has held up as well if not better than my previous Acura and Volvo. Great sound system. Maintenance has been about average and I have replaced the timing belt twice at 80K miles and 160K miles. If you are considering the '04 Sorento be sure that the 2 recalls (crankshaft pulley bolt and the intake manifold butterfly valve) have been done. Replace the coolant tank with the redesigned one. no increase in oil use even with 239K miles. Average about 20- 21 MPG HWY. Better than the 19 listed.

Never again
By Wyllies on 10/20/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used with 50k miles. I had issues within the first week and Precision made me take it to Kia (warranty) and they said we were good. Then it has been down hill. Headlights go out constantly, 4wheel drive constantly on (when the switch is off) check engine light and airbag light is constantly on. I have put money in this car that I don't have and the last time I took it in there were 6 new recalls within it. I will never by a Kia again. The worst part is the trade in value is not good either. So instead of paying this off and using it I will have to get another vehicle and continue making payments. I am stressed driving this car especially with my kids in it.

Extreme Disappointment
By R. Effingham on 10/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Reading these reviews is like listening to myself complain about this car. I have paint peeling off the roof & mirros, my sunroof won't close properly, I have rust on the trunk, I've replaced two back lights & one front, currently have coolant leaking so heater won't work, have had a/c recharged & again it's not working, light on radio and clock go out, bent steering shaft, and many other little items. Very disappointed, and if I thought I could get what I owed I'd walk away. But can't imagine anyone would pay what I owe for what's left of the car. After replacing the coolant reservoir my next expense will be to have the rust spots repaired. Fun. fun.