2003 Kia Sorento - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sorento model:
Poor Quality Parts
By Scott on 10/26/09 13:11 PM (PDT)

2003 Kia Sorento EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned my Sorento for over five years now and for the most part I have been happy with it. However, It does have some re-occurring issues. For the first two years I had to replace the rotors every 6 months. All along the dealership telling me that it was my driving habits. I finally quit buying kia parts and replaced the rotors with after market part off the internet. I have not had an issue since. I have also had numerous electrical issues that the dealership can never fix because it doesn't occur when we take it in. Unfortunately if the cars computer doesn't tell them what is wrong, they are done looking. It is too bad because the vehical isn't that bad, it just needs better parts.

Love that truck...
By HJS on 05/27/09 01:27 AM (PDT)

2003 Kia Sorento EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

It's a really nice truck with great styling inside and out with good fit, finish and quality... also plenty of power... great offroader, too... had no issues except a split overflow canister which was replaced under warranty... and break shudder comes into the picture once the rotors wear down... but can be avoided by installing better grade after market replacement rotors which are actually cheaper than the original ones...... otherwise my six year old Sorrento is still rock solid and running smooth... it is quiet on the road and comfortable compared to other SUV's out there... will replace it with the same model if it ever falls apart... but so far it's holding up very well...

Shoulda bought a 4 runner
By QCYNCY on 03/13/09 08:05 AM (PDT)

2003 Kia Sorento EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Wife bought the car new in 2003. We have 70K on it now and to be honest, I'm surprised it has been as reliable as it had been. Still, the maint schedule is unreasonable, $$, and he dealerships are completely incompetent. Last three times I needed to take the car back after maint because of dealer error. Will say the car has been off road on NE beaches all 5 summers about 60 trips in all and never had an offroad perf problem. Bought this over 4 runner because it offered leather,moonroof and warrnty for a few grand less than 4 runner. Stripped 4 runner is now worth 4K more at trade in than this though! if you can do w/o some options, there are better cars with better resale than KIA.

Great Car for the $$
By Leslie on 02/03/09 15:30 PM (PST)

2003 Kia Sorento EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the Sorento for my company car and 227,000 miles later am amazed at how it's held up. No it's not a Lexus, but with only minor problems in 5 years I am looking to buy another one. I have owned GM, Ford and Toyota cars and this Korean one has been by far the least trouble and the overall best ride. I have recommended it to many who were skeptical when I purchased it!

Kia unable to repair.
By Gunter Dresler on 09/25/08 09:02 AM (PDT)

2003 Kia Sorento LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

After driving my 1.5 year old 20,000 km Sorento for 10 meters in 50 cm deep water, it stopped running. The Dealer/Importer had the car for over 6 month in the shop and could NOT get it running again. I paid for a new Computer, but still, as of today it is not running. The location of the air intake is for an SUV on one of the most stupid places you can find in an 4 weal ATV. and so is the location of the Computer.

Rides like a sedan
By Marion on 09/04/08 10:38 AM (PDT)

2003 Kia Sorento EX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used and have been happy with it. It has the smoothest ride of a SUV I have ever experienced. The backseat is very roomy for a smaller SUV. The main annoyance I have with it is that it burns through lights like crazy. I am replacing bulbs about every 2 months. I have been pulled over for it also. It is hard to keep up with replacing the bulbs. Check your lights for proper working order on a daily basis.

Garbage
By Joe on 08/28/08 16:29 PM (PDT)

2003 Kia Sorento LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I own a 2003 Kia sorento and it is garbage. I can't count how many times I have had to replace a headlamp. The clock resets constantly on its own. I have blown fuses galore. Changing the rotors is impossible unless you own or can get your hands on a impact wrench. And most of all, their Service dept. has been horrible, rude and deceiving. Don't waste you money. I get 17mpg gallon highway at 65mph if I am lucky. And yes, I have completed all their recommended, bogus service schedules. I hate it. Hope I save somebody the headache of owning a pile of junk like this. 100,000 mile warranty is a joke. Be careful

Our Kia Sorento
By GUS on 07/22/08 10:41 AM (PDT)

2003 Kia Sorento EX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I had never seen a Kia Sorento until June of 2003 when my wife and I drove past the dealership and my eye caught sight of an elegant new SUV. I got reverse sticker shock when I found out it was considerably less than the competition's and had elegant appointments. I took the car home for one day and could find NO bad points about the Sorento. Even the 15 MPG city is comparable (as it is a truck). I bought it the next day and have loved it ever since. I have owned it 5 yrs and 1 mo. Now and my only complaint was every bulb on the car has gone out at least once (most of them twice). It is smooth comfortable and responsive but keep in mind it's a truck so pot holes give ya a jolt..THX KIA

Great vehicle for almost 5 years
By SoCal on 12/26/07 13:22 PM (PST)

2003 Kia Sorento EX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our Sorento new in May of 2003. In 56K miles, we've never had a problem. Only routine maint. and a brake job, along with one set of tires.

Kia doesn't honor warranty
By mikes on 12/10/07 17:17 PM (PST)

2003 Kia Sorento EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Had a 2003 Kia Sorento for 5 years. Initially had an issue with a leaking gasket that was fixed under warranty. 5 years later, the catalytic converter has failed and Kia won't cover even though it is within the warranty window. Kia immediately looks for fine print excuses to not honor the warranty. We are stuck with about $5000 in repairs to transfer case, catalytic converter, spark plugs, belts etc. Basically, left with a cheap throw away car.