2003 Kia Sorento SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sorento model:
Best Vehicle I've ever owned
By raymoto on 12/18/14 21:17 PM (PST)

2003 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2003 Kia Sorento 4x4 automatic brand new in 2003. I'm the original owner and as of this posting has $120K miles. I've taken great care of the car. The engine and transmission suspension, steering have been solid as a rock. I've only had a few issues. It will no longer shift into 4x4, which I think a control module went bad, but it still operates in 4x2 mode. One engine sensor needed replacing the fuel temperature senors which I replaced myself. Other than that it has been the best vehicle I've ever owned. It's considerably fast for 190 HP, roomy, and feels very safe and controlled in the rain! Get one if you can!

Fun Car to Drive and Easy to Maintain.
By mikesay22 on 07/14/14 11:01 AM (PDT)

2003 Kia Sorento SUV EX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car as a third owner in 2011 with 138000 miles. The car was poorly maintained. Thats what I got for the price I bought it for. But I am so glad I bought this car. I had to change the brakes and tires, some bulbs, oil change, and I had to change the spark plugs. The car started running like new. I had no major problems with the car, just maintenance. I had my check engine light on for a couple of months but later on I found out it was because of a faulty throttle position sensor which was easy to change. After that, the check engine light went away till this day. I had a A/C leak but I managed to find the leak and fixed it myself.

pleasantly surprised.
By lhasadaddy on 08/23/13 12:27 PM (PDT)

2003 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This Sorrento was a replacement for my previous vehicle. It was used and abused. Previous owner did no maintenance on it. Spent a couple of hours under the hood cleaning MAF sensor, throttle body. Had my buddy replace the oil and all the tires. Not to mention complete brake fluid change( no charge for any of it. For which I am eternally grateful) it now runs like a champ. Roomy , comfortable, fun, and a pleasure to drive. Still needs to have a few little things done. The fact it ran as good as it did considering what wasn't done in it 255,000 miles of service is testament to its build quality. Called KIA about recalls. Booked in same day.

Big mistake
By dswanson1 on 04/10/13 19:03 PM (PDT)

2003 Kia Sorento SUV EX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This was the worst vehicle choice ever!! We had it for 3 months and the radiator blew. Then all the window switches stopped working and the AC would not hold its charge. The transmission started going out when we hit 110,000 miles and when we traded it in, we only got $1500 for it. Thought that would be the last time I got a KIA that was build prior to 2005, but my wife tricked me and bought a 2003 Kia Spectra. We have had nothing but issues with that one also.

My 2003 Kia Sorento Best Car I ever have had.
By sorento2012 on 03/03/11 05:54 AM (PST)

2003 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Minor problems like horn, clock not working. Had to replace the U-joint front and back. Everything else is fine and working. Minor leak in sunroof, was adjusted. Paint on side mirrors came off and the same for the tail hatch. Made out of plastic.

Hard on the wallet
By Tesha on 10/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Kia Sorento SUV EX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Gorgeous on the outside. Useless on the inside. Of the hood, that is. Ran great until I hit 100,000 miles. Since, my power steering, fly wheel, transmission and ac have went out, not to mention a few other minor problems. I will never recommend this vehicle to anyone. I have taken great care of this vehicle, keeping everything up to date and new but it has not returned the favor. It would be nice if the vehicle was as cheap as its quality.

Great Little Truck
By SMB on 09/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this truck because of Nebraska Winters, its 4WD is what i needed to get through. I've NEVER had an issue with this truck. Only thing i've done is replace the battery and a blinker bulb! With reg oil changes i've had zero engine trouble. I bought it with 47,000 miles on it and am now at over 124,000 miles. It still runs like the day i bought it! I would recommend a Kia Sorento to anyone who is looking for a great 4WD. On highway travel i can get close to 27 MPG.

Piece of Junk
By changt82 on 08/08/10 09:14 AM (PDT)

2003 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Second owner of this Kia sorento. Bought this car @ 53k only $9800.00 in 07' over a highlander and rav4 due to looks and price. I guess I got what I paid for. Within 2 months of purchase, you would have to say hell came with this car. First Climate control malfunctioned, then Windows power control, then one window power motor, then wiper motor assembly broke off, then rotors warping, then headlamp and brake lamp every other month, then Radiator fan gone out, the Ac compressor gone out, then now the car just wouldn't start anymore. Don"t ever buy a Kia, they are cheap and expensive the repair and maintenance.

BEst Vehicle Made
By Alex on 02/22/10 21:52 PM (PST)

2003 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Vehicle is amazing in snow, I took this car up north where it proved to me the reliability of Korean 4x4 Engineering. Heavy Duty frame makes this car extremely stable being able to withstand any load of force. Driving is extremely smooth, feeling of complete control on the road.

Most car for the Money
By Dick H on 02/02/10 05:41 AM (PST)

2003 Kia Sorento SUV EX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I installed a higher cranking amp battery and haven't replaced any lights since. At 99400 miles the rear U-joint caused vibration at higher speeds then at low speed. It was replaced fully under warranty. In fact, KIA replaced the total driveshaft and support bushing with all related parts free. These reports stating bad warranty are incorrect. KIA is very good! Another car with the same equipment would cost over $30,000.00 compared to $20,000.00 for a new 09 Sorento. Great car fun to drive sure feeling great pickup. Not easy on gas though. Only draw back.