Used 2003 Kia Sorento SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Kia Sorento - Consumer Reviews

2003 Kia Sorento SUV

View reviews for a specific Sorento model:

Best Vehicle I've ever owned
By raymoto

2003 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2003 Kia Sorento 4x4 automatic brand new in 2003. I'm the original owner and as of this posting has $120K miles. I've taken great care of the car. The engine and transmission suspension, steering have been solid as a rock. I've only had a few issues. It will no longer shift into 4x4, which I think a control module went bad, but it still operates in 4x2 mode. One engine sensor needed replacing the fuel temperature senors which I replaced myself. Other than that it has been the best vehicle I've ever owned. It's considerably fast for 190 HP, roomy, and feels very safe and controlled in the rain! Get one if you can!

Favorite Features

Favorite features: Great HP and torque. Feels quicker than it really is. High ground clearance for rain and snow. Comfortable heated seats, full size back seats, lots of cargo space. sun roof.

Suggested Improvements

Telescoping wheel. Better cornering suspension,

Fun Car to Drive and Easy to Maintain.
By mikesay22

2003 Kia Sorento SUV EX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car as a third owner in 2011 with 138000 miles. The car was poorly maintained. Thats what I got for the price I bought it for. But I am so glad I bought this car. I had to change the brakes and tires, some bulbs, oil change, and I had to change the spark plugs. The car started running like new. I had no major problems with the car, just maintenance. I had my check engine light on for a couple of months but later on I found out it was because of a faulty throttle position sensor which was easy to change. After that, the check engine light went away till this day. I had a A/C leak but I managed to find the leak and fixed it myself.

Favorite Features

I like how the car runs. Its fast, and powerful. I have the EX model which comes with wood trimming, power seats, sunroof, tinted windows.

Suggested Improvements

I would suggest that they would improve the quality of the side mirrors, the color faded away. The door handles inside have chipped. The sunroof won't slide back. Those are the items that need improvements.

pleasantly surprised.
By lhasadaddy

2003 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This Sorrento was a replacement for my previous vehicle. It was used and abused. Previous owner did no maintenance on it. Spent a couple of hours under the hood cleaning MAF sensor, throttle body. Had my buddy replace the oil and all the tires. Not to mention complete brake fluid change( no charge for any of it. For which I am eternally grateful) it now runs like a champ. Roomy , comfortable, fun, and a pleasure to drive. Still needs to have a few little things done. The fact it ran as good as it did considering what wasn't done in it 255,000 miles of service is testament to its build quality. Called KIA about recalls. Booked in same day.

Favorite Features

True 4x4. Body on frame construction. No blind spot when driving.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger center console.

Big mistake
By dswanson1

2003 Kia Sorento SUV EX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This was the worst vehicle choice ever!! We had it for 3 months and the radiator blew. Then all the window switches stopped working and the AC would not hold its charge. The transmission started going out when we hit 110,000 miles and when we traded it in, we only got $1500 for it. Thought that would be the last time I got a KIA that was build prior to 2005, but my wife tricked me and bought a 2003 Kia Spectra. We have had nothing but issues with that one also.

My 2003 Kia Sorento Best Car I ever have had.
By sorento2012

2003 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Minor problems like horn, clock not working. Had to replace the U-joint front and back. Everything else is fine and working. Minor leak in sunroof, was adjusted. Paint on side mirrors came off and the same for the tail hatch. Made out of plastic.

Favorite Features

everything inside and out.

Suggested Improvements

None