Used 2003 Kia Sorento Consumer Reviews - 322 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Kia Sorento - Consumer Reviews

2003 Kia Sorento

View reviews for a specific Sorento model:

The Korean Problems
By Cooper Michael

2003 Kia Sorento LX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This car/suv is the worst car i have ever owned, AC/fan/heating unit was replaced for 1100$ at 30,000, power steering went out at 34,000 and cost 800$, headlights go out every month and its hard and time consuming to replace, now the engine has a dropped valve with a bent camshaft at 72,000 miles. These cars love belts and timing belts THEY EAT THEM!!!!!!! this car gets the worst mpg. Its rattles a lot and it idles poorly. Also if you own a Sorento check your oil every 800 miles it eats it. when you put your foot to the floor it will stay in 4th gear at 5,000rpm stays at 88mph and when you go into semi-auto you can't up shift it is a 5 speed trans.

Best Vehicle I've ever owned
By raymoto

2003 Kia Sorento EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2003 Kia Sorento 4x4 automatic brand new in 2003. I'm the original owner and as of this posting has $120K miles. I've taken great care of the car. The engine and transmission suspension, steering have been solid as a rock. I've only had a few issues. It will no longer shift into 4x4, which I think a control module went bad, but it still operates in 4x2 mode. One engine sensor needed replacing the fuel temperature senors which I replaced myself. Other than that it has been the best vehicle I've ever owned. It's considerably fast for 190 HP, roomy, and feels very safe and controlled in the rain! Get one if you can!

Favorite features: Great HP and torque. Feels quicker than it really is. High ground clearance for rain and snow. Comfortable heated seats, full size back seats, lots of cargo space. sun roof.

Telescoping wheel. Better cornering suspension,

Fun Car to Drive and Easy to Maintain.
By mikesay22

2003 Kia Sorento EX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car as a third owner in 2011 with 138000 miles. The car was poorly maintained. Thats what I got for the price I bought it for. But I am so glad I bought this car. I had to change the brakes and tires, some bulbs, oil change, and I had to change the spark plugs. The car started running like new. I had no major problems with the car, just maintenance. I had my check engine light on for a couple of months but later on I found out it was because of a faulty throttle position sensor which was easy to change. After that, the check engine light went away till this day. I had a A/C leak but I managed to find the leak and fixed it myself.

I like how the car runs. Its fast, and powerful. I have the EX model which comes with wood trimming, power seats, sunroof, tinted windows.

I would suggest that they would improve the quality of the side mirrors, the color faded away. The door handles inside have chipped. The sunroof won't slide back. Those are the items that need improvements.

pleasantly surprised.
By lhasadaddy

2003 Kia Sorento LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This Sorrento was a replacement for my previous vehicle.
It was used and abused. Previous owner did no maintenance on it. Spent a couple of hours under the hood cleaning MAF sensor, throttle body. Had my buddy replace the oil and all the tires. Not to mention complete brake fluid change( no charge for any of it. For which I am eternally grateful) it now runs like a champ. Roomy , comfortable, fun, and a pleasure to drive. Still needs to have a few little things done. The fact it ran as good as it did considering what wasn't done in it 255,000 miles of service is testament to its build quality. Called KIA about recalls. Booked in same day.

True 4x4. Body on frame construction. No blind spot when driving.

Bigger center console.

Big mistake
By dswanson1

2003 Kia Sorento EX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This was the worst vehicle choice ever!!
We had it for 3 months and the radiator blew.
Then all the window switches stopped working and the AC would not hold its charge.
The transmission started going out when we hit 110,000 miles and when we traded it in, we only got $1500 for it.
Thought that would be the last time I got a KIA that was build prior to 2005, but my wife tricked me and bought a 2003 Kia Spectra.
We have had nothing but issues with that one also.