Keep in Perspective
By ericdunham on
2001 Kia Sephia LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)
I bought this car used for $800 with over 200k miles on the odometer, a wreck in the near past and work to be done in the near future. I knew it wasn't a great car, but I needed a carI was broke. Well over a year later, this little thing is coming up on 250k miles and until today I had no major work done on it. I replaced an alternator belt a couple months ago and that was it. The bill today was $660a price I would normally never consider on a car I bought for $800. But this car just takes a beating and keeps on going! I'm awful about maintaining my vehicles and I hate to spend money on them, and yet this little car has never faltered. As long as you know it's not a BMW, you'll be happy!
Favorite Features
Pretty roomy. Starts like a dream even in our cold Minnesota winters, even when it's been literally -20F, I haven't had to jump it or wait for it to heat up. Just ridiculous for such a cheap car.
Suggested Improvements
The front door latches are awful, especially in the winter. From what I can tell, the windows have a rubber sleeve that guides them into the door on their way down, and that rubber sleeve ends right above the latch, causing it to rust out when you get rain or melted snow in there. And then in the winter, that water will get onto the latch and freeze it shut, or, even worse, freeze the latch as soon as you open the door, so you can't close it. Not fun, but it's my only complaint, and considering what I paid...