Used 2001 Kia Sephia Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Kia Sephia - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sephia model:

Great car for the money
By Me

2001 Kia Sephia 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand new. I have not had the first problem with it. Paid $10,060. I had timing belt and all drive belts replaced at 70,000 miles. Car had never been in the shop before that.

Thin body metal. Lots of door dings.

Pleasant surprise
By the v

2001 Kia Sephia 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I had very few expectations of this car, but it has really grown on me. It is excellent in every way. Reliable, fun to drive, very zippy (except when driving over 80 mph. It gets a little scary at that point, but what do you want for the money?). I would definitely buy a Kia again. But, this car has over 85000K miles on it and shows no signs of stopping, so I will keep it until the wheels fall off!

Better gas mileage than my Nissan Sentra!! Very fast, great 5 speed torque. comfortable interior, yet compact enough to park in the streets of san francisco

Resale value really stinks.

Repairs are frequent
By Ryan

2001 Kia Sephia LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The car is okay but i've only had it since aug 08 and it already has many problems. It needs a new gear shift cable, possibly a new transmission, a new battery, new front strut mounts, the emerg brake is stuck on and the whole dash blinks when the signal light is on. Like everybody else says the body is just like a pop can. Also all the rubber lining on the doors is falling off. I find this repair list ridiculous because the thing only has 106,000 kms on it. The previous owner hit a pole with it and now the trunk leaks like crazy. This is my first car and I'm 17. I only have a part-time job. I guess the car will be siting in the driveway a little longer.

Nice stereo, I like the interior design. Rides well when it works. Good gas mileage, went for a 300 km trip and the gas gauge barely budged.

Kia cars are okay brand new but stay away from the sephia. I definitly woul not have bought it if I knew this was going to happen. Not worth the trouble

Pick of the Litter
By Saberus

2001 Kia Sephia 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

A steal for 11k new. My little red Kia wouldn't quit. I wasn't faithful in changing the oil after 18k miles, but the engine didn't seem to notice. Dealership mistakenly put in ATF instead of 5w-30 on that change, and ran for 9000 miles on it before I changed it myself and found out. The engine was stronger than ever. I don't know or understand how, but it was dyno'd after that at 240hp, and was getting 35ish mpg. She was unbeatable. But I couldn't keep up the payments, and she was repo'd in 2004. Never had a problem with her. Willing to bet that little car would have outlasted me if I still had her. I miss my car.

Ice-cold A/C, and toasty heat. Never turned fans up past 1. Seats were comfortable, lumbar support and seat pan tilt were primo. Sturdy suspension stood up to the accidental curb or pothole without incident. Fuel efficiency and low maintenence costs made it easy on the wallet. Awesome first car.

Stock tires left something to be desired. Can't say much else, I had an uncommon specimen. Deserves better resale value.

Okay for short-term
By crazychemist78

2001 Kia Sephia LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car new in 2001, mainly for the price, fuel economy and warranty. Handled pretty well, a bit underpowered but the manual tranny helped. Interior very cheap. Seats bent easily, vents broke easily, cupholder was awful, shifter skirt broke easily. Entire brake system minus master cylinder replaced three times. A/C system blew a hose. Doors froze constantly in winter. Recently lost power, found that both catalytic converters (yes there are 2!) had gone out and were blocking exhaust after the car heated up. This of course fried the spark plugs, wires, and coil packs. Dealer wanted $2100 just to fix this issue, used it to buy another car instead (not a Kia.)

Pretty exterior. Fun to drive, handled well with new tires. Stick shift was very easy to use. Fairly reliable, tho w/headaches. Good gas mileage (~30 mpg 25:75 city:highway.) Put quite a few miles on it before it wasn't worth fixing. Planned on keeping it as a third car before the major breakdown.

Body is very weak and easy to dent. I dented the fender while changing the tire! Interior very cheap, not very comfortable for commutes. If they brought it back I would definitely suggest upgrading the quality of all of the components, as it could have been a very nice car if the quality were better.