Used 2001 Kia Sephia Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Kia Sephia - Consumer Reviews

2001 Kia Sephia Sedan

View reviews for a specific Sephia model:

2001 Kia Sephia - It's been a headache..
By Mike

2001 Kia Sephia Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I would love to give the reader a thumbs up for this car. But I can't. Had to replace: tranny at 100k mi. $1000, serp belt (always squeaky!), spark plugs; wires, alternator $260, both headlights, all manner of front end work probably amounting to $1200. Sheet metal is easy to dent and scratch. Have to slam trunk to get it to latch. Parking brake needs replaced. Drivers-side strut&spring needs replaced. Wheel bearing going bad quick-like. Doors FREEZE open in winter (Michigan). This is so annoying. You cant even imagine until you experience having to use a bungee. Driver door lock stuck in lock position. Had to take off door panel to fix. Other than all this, it is a fabulous car.

Favorite Features

Peppy for a 4-banger. I bought it at 80,000 mi - now at 140,000 mi. Car has a good over all look. Interior is fairly spacious, comfy. Good point of view for driver. Good turning radius. Good sound system. Bad wiring. Can be fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

RAWR! P.S. Interior is ugly, and cheap, oh and chintzy. Its a love/hate kind of thing. Hope this helps.

Happy
By snowie2day

2001 Kia Sephia Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Kia as a college student and was very happy all 7 years I owned the car. Though I am not in the market for another compact car I would and have recommended my Kia to my friends and family.

Favorite Features

Price! I only brought the vehicle in to be serviced probably 3-4 times over its life time. Very reliable!

Suggested Improvements

My only real complaint was the latch to pop the trunk from the interior would stick - and in the end after 7 years its was showings it age - but again economy.

First Car
By Class of '09

2001 Kia Sephia Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first car given to me by my mother.She bought a Ford and handed me the Kia. So I had nothing to compare it to. I would have to say it was and still is a good car. It's never broken down, or had any major problems. Only regular maintenance. My only complaint is that when i have the heat or a/c on the car's acceleration is greatly slowed. This may be due to its age but at times it can be annoying.

Favorite Features

With the rising gas prices $30 still fills up my tank. At the same time its not a tiny car that will fall over if you lean on it. I am a Tall girl and I need my leg room.

Suggested Improvements

The interior is a big turn off. The seats are for the most part fine. But the ugly gray dash and oddly black control panel are an eye sore.

Not too bad for a cheap car
By devs Mom

2001 Kia Sephia Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased my kia new in 2001 as a commuter car. Kia just turned over 51000 miles after I had traveled from St. Louis to Woodbridge, VA (30 miles S of D.C.) in 16 hours and only used 2 tanks of gas on a 800+ mile trip (son was impressed). Have also gone to tx, ar and ms with no problem and minimum gas besides regular maintenance, a right front strut assembly, tires and brakes, my only problem is crossed wires which make my windshield wipers come on when I turn on the a. C. (happened after jack leg body work) still not bad for a cheap small 4 cyl. Runs good but is starting to show age. Engine heat shield rattles constantly.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage- highway good, city & stop & go long D.C. area commute not so good. But still economical. Radio and CD player, heater and a.c. best features of car.

Suggested Improvements

Body exterior paint fading and body metal way too thin. Interior you get what you pay for. Only small cups will fit and seats need a cushion. Also how come spark plugs are not mentioned in the owners manual. Looking for that info is how I found this web site

I Love It!
By Love It!

2001 Kia Sephia Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned quite a few different cars. I bought my KIA from a used car dealership the 1st of February. It only had 86,000 miles on it. I love this car. I have not had any problems with it. It has some minor hail damage but all in all, it looks and runs great. I am a mother of three teenage children so a lot of horse power in a vehicle is not necessary for me. My children and I both love this car.

Favorite Features

It is easy to get in and out of. There is a lot of head room and it is comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

I love my KIA the way it is.