2001 Kia Sephia - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sephia model:
Great car for the money
By Me on 03/14/08 16:39 PM (PDT)

2001 Kia Sephia 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand new. I have not had the first problem with it. Paid $10,060. I had timing belt and all drive belts replaced at 70,000 miles. Car had never been in the shop before that.

Pleasant surprise
By the v on 03/10/08 12:06 PM (PDT)

2001 Kia Sephia 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I had very few expectations of this car, but it has really grown on me. It is excellent in every way. Reliable, fun to drive, very zippy (except when driving over 80 mph. It gets a little scary at that point, but what do you want for the money?). I would definitely buy a Kia again. But, this car has over 85000K miles on it and shows no signs of stopping, so I will keep it until the wheels fall off!

Repairs are frequent
By Ryan on 12/04/07 10:58 AM (PST)

2001 Kia Sephia LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The car is okay but i've only had it since aug 08 and it already has many problems. It needs a new gear shift cable, possibly a new transmission, a new battery, new front strut mounts, the emerg brake is stuck on and the whole dash blinks when the signal light is on. Like everybody else says the body is just like a pop can. Also all the rubber lining on the doors is falling off. I find this repair list ridiculous because the thing only has 106,000 kms on it. The previous owner hit a pole with it and now the trunk leaks like crazy. This is my first car and I'm 17. I only have a part-time job. I guess the car will be siting in the driveway a little longer.

Pick of the Litter
By Saberus on 10/03/07 02:59 AM (PDT)

2001 Kia Sephia 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

A steal for 11k new. My little red Kia wouldn't quit. I wasn't faithful in changing the oil after 18k miles, but the engine didn't seem to notice. Dealership mistakenly put in ATF instead of 5w-30 on that change, and ran for 9000 miles on it before I changed it myself and found out. The engine was stronger than ever. I don't know or understand how, but it was dyno'd after that at 240hp, and was getting 35ish mpg. She was unbeatable. But I couldn't keep up the payments, and she was repo'd in 2004. Never had a problem with her. Willing to bet that little car would have outlasted me if I still had her. I miss my car.

Okay for short-term
By crazychemist78 on 09/02/07 21:43 PM (PDT)

2001 Kia Sephia LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car new in 2001, mainly for the price, fuel economy and warranty. Handled pretty well, a bit underpowered but the manual tranny helped. Interior very cheap. Seats bent easily, vents broke easily, cupholder was awful, shifter skirt broke easily. Entire brake system minus master cylinder replaced three times. A/C system blew a hose. Doors froze constantly in winter. Recently lost power, found that both catalytic converters (yes there are 2!) had gone out and were blocking exhaust after the car heated up. This of course fried the spark plugs, wires, and coil packs. Dealer wanted $2100 just to fix this issue, used it to buy another car instead (not a Kia.)

Can't beat it
By ramer1 on 08/15/07 08:34 AM (PDT)

2001 Kia Sephia LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased the car used in a pinch. The car had 40,000 miles on it and now has 180,000 miles on it. Only paid $3000 for it when it was 2 years old and said that I would drive it till it dropped. Still going!! Right after it was purchased, the car was driven for 40,000 miles without an oil change... still no problems. You can't beat the price, the gas mileage or the insurance, although parts are sometimes hard to find. Nothing but general maintenance since purchased. I now have a new truck, but will probably buy another Sephia after this one dies to have another 35 mpg road car.

2001 Kia Sephia
By DAKIAMAN! on 04/23/07 15:01 PM (PDT)

2001 Kia Sephia LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. I originally bought a 1998 m type sephia and it was crap, always in the shop. But because I couldn't afford anything else, I decided to give Kia a second try. I bought an 01 Sephia LS with 10 miles and still drive it today with over 93K miles! This car has never let me stranded and always starts in the morning. I plan to keep this car forever! I'm really happy to drive it everday!

Sloppy
By fourthrowe on 06/24/06 13:12 PM (PDT)

2001 Kia Sephia LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Ok, I know it's not a Honda, but when I had to borrow my friend's Integra, and got back in my Kia, all I could think was "sloppy." The shifter, the brakes, you name it, sloppy. It has never failed me, even with 163k miles. I still love the sag-proof roofliner. Some people have problems with the dash buckling, I haven't seen it yet. Oh, and I was wrong in my other review about the Mazda engine/Getrag designed tranny, that was '98 and previous Sephias. I certainly would not recommend this car to a friend just because it's slow AND gets bad mileage. I average 23mpg city/hwy. Highway only is 33mpg. Also, this car will scare you if you go over 80mph. It acts like it's in a hurricane.

Nightmare on Kia Street
By IHateKia on 04/10/06 20:30 PM (PDT)

2001 Kia Sephia 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This has to be the worst vehicle ever created. My transmission was replaced at 15,000 miles. The brakes squeak all the time. The rotors were ruined quickly. I've had it towed an average of 3 times per year. All 3 KIA dealerships could not fix recurring problems. There was a popping noise on the driver's side that no one could diagnose. The tires had to be replaced within 20,000 miles. The car metal is so weak that it looked like someone beat the side of it with a bat (door dings). Everyone says it has a good warranty, but it won't cover all the problems you face. Plus, you won't get a free rental car when you car is constantly in the shop. It was totaled by a few minutes of hail.

Great Value
By fourthrowe on 01/03/06 16:34 PM (PST)

2001 Kia Sephia LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My father purchased the vehicle new, then gave it me Jan. of '05. He's never had any major problems with it and neither have I. In fact, with 157k miles on it, the original clutch holds strong, and the vehicle runs like a champ. For some strange reason, the windows will ALWAYS be foggy / dewy in the mornings even when other cars aren't. It has seen 3 rather expensive starters. There is no aftermarket (generic) for most parts so expect to go to the dealer for everything. The sheetmetal is thin and easily dented but that gives it the performance. Mazda Protege engine, Getrag designed tranny, not a bad setup. Don't buy a new Kia unless you plan to drive it forever, they are worthless for resale.