Used 2001 Kia Sephia Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Kia Sephia - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sephia model:

So far so good
By skiir

2001 Kia Sephia Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Kia on Valentine's Day of 2008. It will be paid off in Feb of Next year (2011). When I bought it it had 30,000 miles on it and the dealer said I would thank him in a year after buying this car. So far I have had to replace the battery like 3 times (no big deal), the belts because the AC belt broke so I just replaced them all. I have put in new spark plugs and they say that I need to re-gasket the tranny and engine. So I just have to watch the oil levels and I will get the tranmission reconditioned as soon as I can afford it. I also need to replace the timing belt so far from what I have read about the car. It gets great mileage, it has been very reliable, and the sound system rocks

Favorite Features

Stereo, interior, gas mileage, air conditioning, power windows.

Suggested Improvements

More power but I guess you can't have that and good mileage.

Do not buy this car
By kia sephia

2001 Kia Sephia Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Engine and transmission so far reliable. Brakes, electrical, air conditioning, body, interior, are bottom of the barrel cheaply built. HORRIBLE in the snow. I have been driving many years in winter conditions and this is hands down the most dangerous car I have ever driven in the snow. Brake and electrical problems have been since day 1, numerous trips to shop. Worst car I have ever owned, wish I could have my 13 year old nissan sentra back!

Favorite Features

absolutely none.

Suggested Improvements

New brake system. New electrical system. Better a/c system. Better interior. Improve seat comfort. Actually, take engine and transmission and put them in another car.

Love my Kia!
By Susan

2001 Kia Sephia Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Sephia a year and a half ago and love driving it. It definitely is a reliable car that is fun to drive, with excellent MPG. This was the first car I bought as a junior in high school. The one thing I am not such a big fan of for the Sephia is the headlights. They are very opaque, and more like shaded glass than clear. The lights work fine, but the lights could be brighter. Overall, I would definitely recommend the Sephia to anyone!

Favorite Features

Fun to drive; MPG; spacious trunk; comfortable seats and interior.

Suggested Improvements

clearer headlights; rear seat belts less sensitive to strain.

I like it.
By Alb89

2001 Kia Sephia Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car for 500 dollars and thought it would just be my A to B car, but it has actually taken me further! Very reliable, A/C and heat works, but it does make the driving slow down when turned on. Not sure why but it isn't that big of a deal. Overall good car. Only thing needed changed was spark plugs.

Favorite Features

Sound system is nice. Has a 6 CD disk changer.

Suggested Improvements

I like everything

My second worst car
By Joe

2001 Kia Sephia Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the car new for $11000. The first thing that went wrong was the passenger side air scoop liner fell out on the road somewhere, Then the radio quit working. The warranty is practically useless unless you follow directions explicitly. Replaced the engine with a used one at 63,000. O2 sensors replaced three times, throttle body sensor went bad,ignition coils replaced twice. Shifter skirt fell down. Rear brakes hang up. Check engine light comes on unexpectedly, then goes out. Have spent $4300 in repairs in the past three years. Gas mileage 25 mpg winter, 31 summer, doesn't compare with my old 91 Mercury Tracer of 36 mpg. Conclusion: I will not buy another Kia.

Favorite Features

Drivers seat, heater, visibility, sun visors, good brakes, fold-down rear seats, nice body style

Suggested Improvements

Thicker body material,