2001 Kia Sephia Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sephia model:
Dependable, excellent mpg, amazing value
By desita on 01/19/13 15:43 PM (PST)

2001 Kia Sephia Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have nothing to say but good things about my KIA Sephia 2001. Got the car at 42 000 miles for $3,100 and sold it at 134 000 miles. I owned it for 8 years and during this time there was manor repairs/maintenance - alternator, break pump, rotors, breaks, spark, plugs, ext. However the car is dependable and just kept going without major issues. Very economical on gas. It was basic, manual transmission, locks and windows, but that never bother me. Overall, best value for the $, would recommended for anyone who values dependable and economical over convince.

Keep in Perspective
By ericdunham on 02/01/12 18:53 PM (PST)

2001 Kia Sephia Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used for $800 with over 200k miles on the odometer, a wreck in the near past and work to be done in the near future. I knew it wasn't a great car, but I needed a carI was broke. Well over a year later, this little thing is coming up on 250k miles and until today I had no major work done on it. I replaced an alternator belt a couple months ago and that was it. The bill today was $660a price I would normally never consider on a car I bought for $800. But this car just takes a beating and keeps on going! I'm awful about maintaining my vehicles and I hate to spend money on them, and yet this little car has never faltered. As long as you know it's not a BMW, you'll be happy!

Okay Car for Price
By latingirl4evr on 09/21/11 09:24 AM (PDT)

2001 Kia Sephia Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car 4 years ago at 38000 now it has 114k. Have to replace spark plugs & wires often, door freezes in cold weather. Also replaced battery, brakes, belts, both front axles. I have alot of common issues as others on the reviews. Its a cheap car & you get what you pay for. I got it manual & it seems like automatic's are having engine trouble, currently my signals do not work. So I am waiting for the next thing not to work. But despite the car issues its an okay car to have but i will not buy another one.

Worst car ever
By jazzmine3 on 04/12/11 19:04 PM (PDT)

2001 Kia Sephia Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car brand new for around $11k. I have had to replace the starter twice in the 10 yrs I've had it. It also KILLS brakes. I've had to have the rear brakes completely redone twice. The front brakes always squeek. The EBrake needs constant adjusting and interferes with the function of the rear brakes. The door handle drive side busted off after I tried to get out when it was freezing outside. The door won't shut when it's freezing out even after running the defrost for 20 mins. It's extremely thin body allows a ton of air and road noise, especially on the freeway.. it is really scary driving at high speeds. It doesn't handle very well and constantly needs alignment.

2001 kia sephia 225000 and still running tough
By 2001kiasephia on 02/15/11 14:21 PM (PST)

2001 Kia Sephia Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

i have a 2001 kia sephia ive been the only owner it has been by far the best car ive ever bought i have done routine oil changes and tune ups on it and ive done the timeing and water pump every 60000 on it and she just keeps running like a champ and i get 30 mpgs out of it and im am very happy with it..

So far so good
By skiir on 09/11/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Kia Sephia Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Kia on Valentine's Day of 2008. It will be paid off in Feb of Next year (2011). When I bought it it had 30,000 miles on it and the dealer said I would thank him in a year after buying this car. So far I have had to replace the battery like 3 times (no big deal), the belts because the AC belt broke so I just replaced them all. I have put in new spark plugs and they say that I need to re-gasket the tranny and engine. So I just have to watch the oil levels and I will get the tranmission reconditioned as soon as I can afford it. I also need to replace the timing belt so far from what I have read about the car. It gets great mileage, it has been very reliable, and the sound system rocks

Do not buy this car
By kia sephia on 09/07/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Kia Sephia Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Engine and transmission so far reliable. Brakes, electrical, air conditioning, body, interior, are bottom of the barrel cheaply built. HORRIBLE in the snow. I have been driving many years in winter conditions and this is hands down the most dangerous car I have ever driven in the snow. Brake and electrical problems have been since day 1, numerous trips to shop. Worst car I have ever owned, wish I could have my 13 year old nissan sentra back!

Love my Kia!
By Susan on 07/11/10 19:05 PM (PDT)

2001 Kia Sephia Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Sephia a year and a half ago and love driving it. It definitely is a reliable car that is fun to drive, with excellent MPG. This was the first car I bought as a junior in high school. The one thing I am not such a big fan of for the Sephia is the headlights. They are very opaque, and more like shaded glass than clear. The lights work fine, but the lights could be brighter. Overall, I would definitely recommend the Sephia to anyone!

I like it.
By Alb89 on 06/24/10 00:26 AM (PDT)

2001 Kia Sephia Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car for 500 dollars and thought it would just be my A to B car, but it has actually taken me further! Very reliable, A/C and heat works, but it does make the driving slow down when turned on. Not sure why but it isn't that big of a deal. Overall good car. Only thing needed changed was spark plugs.

My second worst car
By Joe on 03/13/10 07:25 AM (PST)

2001 Kia Sephia Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the car new for $11000. The first thing that went wrong was the passenger side air scoop liner fell out on the road somewhere, Then the radio quit working. The warranty is practically useless unless you follow directions explicitly. Replaced the engine with a used one at 63,000. O2 sensors replaced three times, throttle body sensor went bad,ignition coils replaced twice. Shifter skirt fell down. Rear brakes hang up. Check engine light comes on unexpectedly, then goes out. Have spent $4300 in repairs in the past three years. Gas mileage 25 mpg winter, 31 summer, doesn't compare with my old 91 Mercury Tracer of 36 mpg. Conclusion: I will not buy another Kia.