Used 2001 Kia Sephia Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Kia Sephia - Consumer Reviews

2001 Kia Sephia

View reviews for a specific Sephia model:

Dependable, excellent mpg, amazing value
By desita

2001 Kia Sephia 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have nothing to say but good things about my KIA Sephia 2001. Got the car at 42 000 miles for $3,100 and sold it at 134 000 miles. I owned it for 8 years and during this time there was manor repairs/maintenance - alternator, break pump, rotors, breaks, spark, plugs, ext. However the car is dependable and just kept going without major issues. Very economical on gas. It was basic, manual transmission, locks and windows, but that never bother me. Overall, best value for the $, would recommended for anyone who values dependable and economical over convince.

Favorite Features

the manual is great for driving in the snow, since you can use a lower gear to control your speed ac and heat is amazing, car warms in no time 29 - 31 mpg seats fold for extended space fits into any parking space sound system pretty good

Suggested Improvements

head lights not the best cover not the best on high speeds, but that to be expected for the price range ac affects a little the performance, never bothered me some rust on the lower body after 9 years of manufacturing, but that's to be expected for older car

Keep in Perspective
By ericdunham

2001 Kia Sephia LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used for $800 with over 200k miles on the odometer, a wreck in the near past and work to be done in the near future. I knew it wasn't a great car, but I needed a carI was broke. Well over a year later, this little thing is coming up on 250k miles and until today I had no major work done on it. I replaced an alternator belt a couple months ago and that was it. The bill today was $660a price I would normally never consider on a car I bought for $800. But this car just takes a beating and keeps on going! I'm awful about maintaining my vehicles and I hate to spend money on them, and yet this little car has never faltered. As long as you know it's not a BMW, you'll be happy!

Favorite Features

Pretty roomy. Starts like a dream even in our cold Minnesota winters, even when it's been literally -20F, I haven't had to jump it or wait for it to heat up. Just ridiculous for such a cheap car.

Suggested Improvements

The front door latches are awful, especially in the winter. From what I can tell, the windows have a rubber sleeve that guides them into the door on their way down, and that rubber sleeve ends right above the latch, causing it to rust out when you get rain or melted snow in there. And then in the winter, that water will get onto the latch and freeze it shut, or, even worse, freeze the latch as soon as you open the door, so you can't close it. Not fun, but it's my only complaint, and considering what I paid...

Okay Car for Price
By latingirl4evr

2001 Kia Sephia 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car 4 years ago at 38000 now it has 114k. Have to replace spark plugs & wires often, door freezes in cold weather. Also replaced battery, brakes, belts, both front axles. I have alot of common issues as others on the reviews. Its a cheap car & you get what you pay for. I got it manual & it seems like automatic's are having engine trouble, currently my signals do not work. So I am waiting for the next thing not to work. But despite the car issues its an okay car to have but i will not buy another one.

Favorite Features

Worked good for the first two years i had it.

Suggested Improvements

Quality of body, easily damaged exterior, improve quality of parts. Make them tougher.

Worst car ever
By jazzmine3

2001 Kia Sephia 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car brand new for around $11k. I have had to replace the starter twice in the 10 yrs I've had it. It also KILLS brakes. I've had to have the rear brakes completely redone twice. The front brakes always squeek. The EBrake needs constant adjusting and interferes with the function of the rear brakes. The door handle drive side busted off after I tried to get out when it was freezing outside. The door won't shut when it's freezing out even after running the defrost for 20 mins. It's extremely thin body allows a ton of air and road noise, especially on the freeway.. it is really scary driving at high speeds. It doesn't handle very well and constantly needs alignment.

Favorite Features

absolutely nothing.

2001 kia sephia 225000 and still running tough
By 2001kiasephia

2001 Kia Sephia 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

i have a 2001 kia sephia ive been the only owner it has been by far the best car ive ever bought i have done routine oil changes and tune ups on it and ive done the timeing and water pump every 60000 on it and she just keeps running like a champ and i get 30 mpgs out of it and im am very happy with it..

Favorite Features

my favorite feature is the car is vary easy to work on and i can easily find part for it

Suggested Improvements

i would suggest a better quality sound insulation its alittle loud on the free way