1999 Kia Sephia - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sephia model:
Not your best bet
By korelinlakes on 03/30/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Kia Sephia 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for 5 years now and it has been a perpetual nightmare. I have replaced the brake rotors and pads 4 times. The dealership, which no longer sells kia's, told me that was normal. It has been recalled at least 4 times that I can remember. The O2 sensor went out. It has had numerous electrical problems that have conflicted with the aftermarket alarm I had installed. The battery died after 2 years (I'm on my third). Do yourself a favor and don't buy a Kia.

Read before you buy a KIA
By patience on 02/20/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Kia Sephia LS 4dr Sedan

I have had a horrible experience with this vehicle. The dealership was not very helpful either with the car they sold me. Having to replace breaks every 8,000 miles and them telling me that was normal. I spent over a third of what the car was worth repairing the vehicle in the first 3yrs. I would not recommend this vehicle to anyone!

1999 Kia Spephia
By papa1999 on 12/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Kia Sephia 4dr Sedan

I HAVE HAD TO REPLACE THE ENGINE ONCE AND MAY NEED TO CHANGE IT AGAIN. I REALLY HATE THIS CAR. IT SUCKS! DO NOT BUY IT STAY AWAY. BETTER TO SPEND EXTRA MONEY ON A TOYOTA COROLLA OR CAMRY.

Piece of Junk!
By kmac on 08/31/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Kia Sephia LS 4dr Sedan

Nothing but problems after the warrenty ran out. Sencor on speedometer had to be replaced, can't fill the thing up with gas. After you get to about 3/4 of a tank gas starts splashing out and this is after a recall to fix the problem. Mysterious problems that no one can seem to find. Transmission will work fine one day and the next will shift spontaniously in and out of overdrive or will not shift at all. Also problems with interior breaking. Glove conpartment latch spontaniously broke, seat belt on drive's side comes unlatched while driving, center console latch broken. Can't even get out of it what we own.

I hate Kia
By kiahater on 08/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Kia Sephia 4dr Sedan

I own a 99 Sephia and an 01 Optima. The Sephia now has 62,000 milesand is falling apart. A few weeks ago the horn stopped ringing. The dealer (who also sells and services Fords) estimated $100 but then revised it to $800 because Kia integrated the horn into the airbag assembly and the horn cannot be fixed without installing an entire new airbag assembly (clock spring, etc.) The car has had many, many other problems in the past year. The moral of the story is: DO NOT BUY A KIA -- NOW, EVER.

great cheap car
By ront on 05/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Kia Sephia 4dr Sedan

This car is great if you like cheap car that you can rely on. I had reservation about buying it but after 4 years I love it and I've had little to know problems. This car will walk thru the snow and ice and frisky when on the highway. Great young crowd looking to show off there car but do not have alot of money. Very fun car to drive(manual) and will turn heads if you keep it clean.

Kia is JUNK
By stumpy497 on 05/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Kia Sephia LS 4dr Sedan

This car is a piece of crap. Thought it would be a economical vehicle for the price but it causes more headaches than anything. I've had three transmissions in the last 2 years of owning the car. One had to be replaced after just 3 month. Junk, Junk, Junk. Looks great but I will never own a KIA again in my life. They give you a 60,00 mile warranty because you need it.

Ready for maintenance always
By Rahul on 01/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Kia Sephia LS 4dr Sedan

I bought used car and having problems from first day. Coolant fan, brakes, electric fuse all changes. I don’t know what will be next change. It's better to buy used Honda Civic, Toyota corolla or Nissan Sentra.

Piece of S%#$ car
By tooshort on 11/13/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Kia Sephia LS 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for 2 years now and I've had more trouble with it than I have with anything I have ever owned. these forign cars a really a piece of S@#*. The check engin light has been on for about 4 months and we take real good care of the car.

Great suspension & space, quality horror
By hwyhobo on 11/09/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Kia Sephia LS 4dr Sedan

Comfortable, peppy with a stick, *great* suspension, and a quality control disaster. Poor mpg (23/29). Brake rotors replaced after 10K miles, interior sounds like a circus marching through town with all the squeeks and noises, and at 30K miles clutch release bearing failed with a high-pitched whine. I've driven stick for 20 years and didn't realize that such a part existed, but according to Kia it's a "normal wear item." The bearing costs a few dollars, the repair $500+. Their "customer service" will NOT take responsibility. So much for their warranty. Forget this POS. For a few thousand more buy a Honda or a Toyota that will serve you unerringly for many, many years.