Used 1999 Kia Sephia Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Kia Sephia - Consumer Reviews

1999 Kia Sephia

View reviews for a specific Sephia model:

it's reliable despite some issues
By mike a

1999 Kia Sephia LS 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car from a friend at the dealership used and so far this is the most reliable car I owned. The check engine loves to stay on no matter what you try to fix. I've had the transmission problems and all but just replaced a sensor and seems to work for now. I've had bad luck with cars but this is the best car I've ever had. It will get you from point a to point b. It's a budget car for sure. You get what you pay for. Cheap body as well wouldn't hold up in a crash

Favorite Features

reliable it starts every time i start it. good transport

Suggested Improvements

interior plastic body transmission you name it

Cheap car, Good value
By Ling

1999 Kia Sephia 4dr Sedan

For the money spent on this car, it's worth every penny. It indeed is a "cheap" car. Manual tranny replaced at 33k although the stick shifts nicely. Door rubber seal fell off at 30k, center box lock broken. Leatherette tranny cover ages and cracks. Seats too low for short driver. Body is easy to scratch and dent. Paint fell off from passenger side mirror base. Front light is weak. Fancy back lights. Trunk spare tire cover (paper) bends down. No power steering is a pain at parking lot and for parallel parking. A/C is always strong as new. A lot of noise on highway. Overall it's an economical car for a student. Would last long if taken good care of.

Favorite Features

Like the stick shift feeling. Strong A/C, inexpensive, great gas mileage 24/31.

Suggested Improvements

Add power steering, parts too expensive, better steel for the body. Better quality for the interior plastic. Reduce engine noise.

Not recommended
By raymr

1999 Kia Sephia LS 4dr Sedan

If you really baby this car, it might reach 100K miles. During the first week, a rear shock dumped its contents on the driveway. We have had almost all the mentioned problems - dashboard curling up, door seals falling off like spaghetti, cracking and disintegrating interior plastics, blown door speakers, and of course the brakes. The metal is very thin or soft, so most of these cars now look like they were used on a target range. The seat fabric sometimes leaches something brownish from the foam below and is hard to clean. The drivers seat has a big mysterious letter "R" outlined on the lower cushion. At 71K miles now, the car is pretty much shot.

Favorite Features

Stereo is decent when it works. Interior design is roomy. Car came with lots of power goodies for the price.

Suggested Improvements

Overall quality and durability of materials. Noisy over 60mph.

Kia?
By grammylorrie

1999 Kia Sephia 4dr Sedan

I purchased a 1999 Kia in 1999. I have had nothing but trouble with it and would never buy another one. I had a crash at 50mph and the airbags never deployed!

Favorite Features

Color.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes, airbags, quality of vehicle.

It is an economy car
By Michelle

1999 Kia Sephia 4dr Sedan

I bought my Kia in February of this year. I needed to get a vehicle with better gas mileage (I was driving a Explorer). I really enjoy the fuel economy but the vehicle is a very lightweight vehicle, not sure what would happen in a accident. If treated well these cars will last but you can't beat on them that is for sure. I would not put a teen in them; they may not last ( I have a 17 year old). He would destroy this vehicle not avoiding potholes etc. The one thing that has already needed to be replaced is the brakes. They go through brakes quickly, not sure why. I am already trading it in for a Mazda B2300. I don't believe it would last with my family long term.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage. Peppy for a 4 cylinder.

Suggested Improvements

Better front seats. The back seat is more comfortable than the front! The carpet is very thin. Mine is worn under the pedals.