Used 1998 Kia Sephia Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Kia Sephia - Consumer Reviews

1998 Kia Sephia

View reviews for a specific Sephia model:

Everything's been perfect
By Scott

1998 Kia Sephia LS 4dr Sedan

Bought our Kia Sephia LS brand new back in 1998. In the last seven years we have not had even a single problem with this car. That's right, not a problem one. Almost everything is still original parts; only new tires, filters, wipers, and oil. The car is reasonably comfortable and powerful enough for a four cylinder engine. This car has truly been great. That it was cheaper than everything else has just been the icing on the cake. It probably doesn't matter anymore, but after reading some of the negative comments, I figured I ought to share our completely positive experience.

Favorite Features

Quality, reliability, high gas mileage, design qualities have held up extremely well, still looks fresh.

Suggested Improvements

Seats are probably more designed for women than men, i.e. shorter individuals, but they are still comfortable on long drives with a stop or two on the way.

7 years and still VERY reliable.
By Jules

1998 Kia Sephia LS 4dr Sedan

I must say I concur with 75% of what people have said about the Sephia LS. Not even with 25 miles on my newly bought car back in '98 my engine fuse busted and luckily a mechanic walked by and temporarily replaced my busted fuse with a windshield fuse to last me until I got to the dealership that same day. Since then the L.A. heat swelled up my front dashboard so that it's curling up and out of the AC vents. Then my gas gauge broke and I haven't bothered fixing it because it costs a lot of money to open up my car and tighten the screw. But after 7 years and +81K miles I NEVER worry that my engine won't start in the mornings. I'm purchasing another car though, but I know my mom can depend on Kia.

Favorite Features

Solid engine. CD player comes standard. Power windows and locks have NEVER broken. Solid glass window; after 7 years of driving this car only recently had very tiny cracks from natural freeway debris. For what you pay, you TRULY get your money's worth. Strong spoiler. Very comfortable, cushy seats.

Suggested Improvements

TOO many recalls. Cheap exterior metal, easily dents. Car makes high pitched noise when driving 75 MPH. Cheap paint job. Paint started chipping within 1-2 years. Fix the aerodynamics of the car so that it doesn't make high pitched noise when going at speed. Cheap plastic interior.

Good Car Experience
By chance89

1998 Kia Sephia 4dr Sedan

I have had my Kia for 8 years since I bought it new in 1998. It has been a great reliable car that is fun to drive, even in not so great weather conditions. I would recommend this car to anyone looking for a good car at a great price. This car has taken me up and down the east coast several times and I have only had trouble with it last year when I had some problems with the fuel injection. Had no problems before or since.

Favorite Features

Reliability, fun to drive. The car has a lot of interior room and I like the wide view you get out of the windows. There is not much to obstruct your view, not many blind spots. My car has over 120,000 miles on it and I'd expect it to last even a couple more years.

Suggested Improvements

The interior started to go down hill after a while. The molding and the dials for the air conditioning were the main problems. Other than that, it has been great.

beware......
By Ynot

1998 Kia Sephia 4dr Sedan

I got this car with 75000 miles on it, after having the transmission replaced. Now at 94000 transmission is acting up again among many other things. Poor design. Cheap car. Not reliable.

Don't Buy the Kia Sephia
By cynthia henderson

1998 Kia Sephia LS 4dr Sedan

The car started breaking down right away. Breaks down every couple of months. The parts are expensive and can only be bought from the dealer. 4 different mechanics told us that the Kia parts are cheaply made and break often. 1 mechanic advised us to buy another car rather than continue to fix the Kia with parts that are so poorly made by the company. We contacted the customer relations department at Kia, and they told us it was the dealers problem. They did not have to deal with issues concerning poorly made cars or parts. The car is unrelaible, poorly made, uncomfortable to drive, and expensive to repair the many many problems.

Suggested Improvements

This car is designed to break down so the company can make money on the over priced parts they sell.