Used 1998 Kia Sephia Consumer Reviews - 25 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Kia Sephia - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sephia model:

Faithful till the end....
By Muttly

1998 Kia Sephia 4dr Sedan

I bought my Kia new in 1998 in FL. It made many cross country trips and up and down the coasts thanks to travel for the military. It was a great reliable car, had good gas mileage and was fun to drive. The only complaints was the electrical system which was sometimes questionable. A blown fuse or connector shut the car down a few times but was a quick, cheap fix. The battery never quite seemed to last and had to be replaced ever other year or so. Handled great and was a blast to drive in curves. Great fuel economy. Was a bare bones vehicle but great for being on a budget. Great for reliability if you just need a dependable mode of transportation. Am looking at a new Kia today.

Price, Kia's can be bought new for the price of most used cars.

In newer models the electrical system has been upgraded. In hindsight I see this as a great start for the Kia brand.

do not buy a 98 sephia
By joe someguy

1998 Kia Sephia 4dr Sedan

I have had this Kia Sephia since 1998 when I got it brand new. What convinced me was the cheap price but two days after I got it the a/c stopped working. And ever since then it has been nothing but new transmissions, dashboards, etc. Now we're having problems with the transmission again, the engine is failing, the brake fluid disappears, the turning pinions rattle, the paint is chipping and the air conditioning broke again.

None. It's a horrible car. I'm never getting a Kia again. And I heard about a guy whose radio caught on fire in a '97 Sephia.

I'm grateful they stopped making it and I wonder if the Spectra and Rio are just as bad.

Watch the tranny
By chgobrd

1998 Kia Sephia 4dr Sedan

I have replaced the transmission 4 times on the '98 KIA. I even had to replace the dashboard because it warped. The fan switch has gone out a couple of times.

The stereo has excellent sound and good range for picking up stations. The air conditioning is strong.

Get Car Go Buy One Now
By Peter

1998 Kia Sephia LS 4dr Sedan

This is a great car. I brought it with 53,000 miles on it and have put another 60,000 on it. The car was inexpensive and parts are a little hard to find but not that expensive at all. Never have to worry if it is going to start in the morning or afternoon. I would recommend to anyone to buy. It is like anything else a car is as good as you treat it and is as reliable as you maintain it. I would drive anywhere in it.

Has great power, and great handling.

Exhaust doesn't hold up that well and could use bigger brakes for better stopping power.

Freekies
By Freekie

1998 Kia Sephia LS 4dr Sedan

I have own the car since New. Never had any major problems with it. I had to have the rotors replaced but they were done under a recall. I don't take care of it well either. I am lucky if I change the oil once a year and It has almost 78,000 miles on it running like a champ.