1998 Kia Sephia - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sephia model:
Everything's been perfect
By Scott on 05/02/05 13:21 PM (PDT)

1998 Kia Sephia LS 4dr Sedan

Bought our Kia Sephia LS brand new back in 1998. In the last seven years we have not had even a single problem with this car. That's right, not a problem one. Almost everything is still original parts; only new tires, filters, wipers, and oil. The car is reasonably comfortable and powerful enough for a four cylinder engine. This car has truly been great. That it was cheaper than everything else has just been the icing on the cake. It probably doesn't matter anymore, but after reading some of the negative comments, I figured I ought to share our completely positive experience.

7 years and still VERY reliable.
By Jules on 03/22/05 04:23 AM (PST)

1998 Kia Sephia LS 4dr Sedan

I must say I concur with 75% of what people have said about the Sephia LS. Not even with 25 miles on my newly bought car back in '98 my engine fuse busted and luckily a mechanic walked by and temporarily replaced my busted fuse with a windshield fuse to last me until I got to the dealership that same day. Since then the L.A. heat swelled up my front dashboard so that it's curling up and out of the AC vents. Then my gas gauge broke and I haven't bothered fixing it because it costs a lot of money to open up my car and tighten the screw. But after 7 years and +81K miles I NEVER worry that my engine won't start in the mornings. I'm purchasing another car though, but I know my mom can depend on Kia.

Good Car Experience
By chance89 on 02/25/05 13:33 PM (PST)

1998 Kia Sephia 4dr Sedan

I have had my Kia for 8 years since I bought it new in 1998. It has been a great reliable car that is fun to drive, even in not so great weather conditions. I would recommend this car to anyone looking for a good car at a great price. This car has taken me up and down the east coast several times and I have only had trouble with it last year when I had some problems with the fuel injection. Had no problems before or since.

beware......
By Ynot on 11/06/04 21:04 PM (PST)

1998 Kia Sephia 4dr Sedan

I got this car with 75000 miles on it, after having the transmission replaced. Now at 94000 transmission is acting up again among many other things. Poor design. Cheap car. Not reliable.

Don't Buy the Kia Sephia
By cynthia henderson on 09/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Kia Sephia LS 4dr Sedan

The car started breaking down right away. Breaks down every couple of months. The parts are expensive and can only be bought from the dealer. 4 different mechanics told us that the Kia parts are cheaply made and break often. 1 mechanic advised us to buy another car rather than continue to fix the Kia with parts that are so poorly made by the company. We contacted the customer relations department at Kia, and they told us it was the dealers problem. They did not have to deal with issues concerning poorly made cars or parts. The car is unrelaible, poorly made, uncomfortable to drive, and expensive to repair the many many problems.

Bad Kia Cars
By Willieeeeeeeeeee on 10/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Kia Sephia LS 4dr Sedan

Had this car for 5 years. In the 5 years it been bronken down for more then a week. Parts are hard to get and over priced. Every is coming apart.

Trooper Also
By PaulP718 on 10/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Kia Sephia LS 4dr Sedan

We bought our Kia in 99 with 10,000 miles. It now has 60,000. We have had to replace the battery twice but have had no other problems. We would buy another Kia if we bought another car. We really have enjoyed the car. We only have one car so reliability has been very important!

1998 Kia Sephia
By Jim McFarland on 09/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Kia Sephia 4dr Sedan

I am generally pleased with the car, except have had a few mechanical problems. The most expensive being the air conditioning compressor. Fortunately I have an extended warranty coverage and it only cost $35.00 out of pocket. Other problems-(2) rear wheel brake cylinders replaced, also under extended warranty, minimal out of pocket expense.

Little Trouper
By Happy Kia Owner on 08/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Kia Sephia LS 4dr Sedan

I don't know why the some of these people has had problems with their Kia, but as far as I am concerned, mine is a little trouper. I bought her with only 7 miles on the odometer she has been great. My Kia Sephia has only broken down once throughout my entire ownership, and that was the timing belt pulley or tensioner. If it wasn't for that, my car, believe it or not still has about 90% of its original parts. This has truly been one of the best little car I have ever owned.

82,000 Miles Little Problems
By Lawguy on 01/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Kia Sephia 4dr Sedan

Yes there were some recalls. All of these were fixed at no cost to me, so why should I complain? Air conditioner hose broke at the fitting in only 2 years. Hose and repair cost me about $250.00. This item should not have broken quite so fast. Struts went at about 80,000 miles. The strut dealer (KYB) told me this mileage was very good, so again no complaint. Gas mileage around town 32 - 33 mpg Highway 37 - 38 mpg (std 5 speed and no power steering). Out the door in 1998 I paid $9,000.00 Lets see.... Toyota Corolla ... $13,998.00 Kia Sephia ... $9,000+250+180=$9430.00 Yup I'm still ahead even with air and strut repair.