Used 1998 Kia Sephia Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Kia Sephia - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sephia model:

Ok overall.
By alex_mosley

1998 Kia Sephia Sedan 4dr Sedan

I got this car when i was 16(so almost 2 years ago) with 48k miles on it, it now has almost 78k and it has been an ok first car. the main issues i have is, the relay to the fuel pump stopped working so sometimes if it doesn't have a good connection it wont start, it just turns over, and the poor wiring job kia did! the wiring is awful! some lights only come on sometimes but overall everything else is ok. Good starter car i guess, just go easy with it!

Favorite Features

Decent gas mileage, Quite a bit of room in backseat, seats are more comfortable than i thought they would be, above average trunk for size of car, nice speakers.

Suggested Improvements

better wiring job, nicer material for seats.

Not Too Shabby!
By ken1

1998 Kia Sephia Sedan 4dr Sedan

Owned since new--11.5 years now. Only lightly used, but fun and peppy engine with manual (Mazda made I think.) Had brake recall and exhaust repair made under warranty. Other than that, only had to replace old battery. Some of the interior fittings are a bit too cheaply made, but if you take care of it, it will take care of you. Very inexpensive to own; costs almost nothing to insure. I have read that due to relatively high HP to weight ratio (125 HP vs 2400 lbs.) some convert this model to rally car. You could not find a less expensive platform than this one!

Favorite Features

Engine and manual transmission. Lots of fun to bang it through the gears. Tan fabric interior holds up well over years, as has paint.

Suggested Improvements

Body sheet metal needs to be thicker. Wind noise fairly severe. But remember, this was among the least expensive cars in the U.S in '98! About $7500 new.

My Favorite Car
By Maggie

1998 Kia Sephia Sedan 4dr Sedan

I love this car. It was four years old when I bought it used with 30,000 miles on it. It is now nearly 12 years old with over 75,000 miles on it and with regular maintenace has never given me any trouble. Very reliable, parked outside and always starts on cold winter mornings. Have definately gotten my moneys worth out of it, if they still made them I would buy one new!

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, very reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Use different material for the dashboard, summer heat warps it. Needs higher quality external paint job. Bring back the Sephia!

fantastic car
By Dareba

1998 Kia Sephia Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

Had this car for only a year, tranny went but that was my fault. Left the e brake up. It's got a lot of power and it'll go forever if you take good care of it.

Favorite Features

very comfortable to sit in. great for long drives.

Suggested Improvements

better exhaust hoists. easier to work on and replace parts.

Served me well
By Eric

1998 Kia Sephia Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I have owned my 98 Kia Sephia basically since new, I got it with about 5,000 miles on it and now it has over 115,000 on it. Parts can be expensive, but the motor has lasted great with no problems. The car shows no signs of quiting anytime soon, has been very reliable over the years, had a few parts break, but that is to be expected when you start putting miles on your car.

Favorite Features

Inexpensive purchase price. Good power, quick acceleration. Decent gas mileage. Great A to B car. More durable then expected, I really gave it a beating and it keeps on running. Great in snow.

Suggested Improvements

Replaced rotors and brakes several times, brakes don't work that great. Had to put a new transmission in it. Engine wiring melted one. Loud at speeds over 75 mph. Door locks freeze up in the extreme cold.