Used 1998 Kia Sephia Base Consumer Reviews - 11 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Kia Sephia - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sephia model:

Ok overall.
By alex_mosley

1998 Kia Sephia 4dr Sedan

I got this car when i was 16(so almost 2 years ago) with 48k miles on it, it now has almost 78k and it has been an ok first car. the main issues i have is, the relay to the fuel pump stopped working so sometimes if it doesn't have a good connection it wont start, it just turns over, and the poor wiring job kia did! the wiring is awful! some lights only come on sometimes but overall everything else is ok. Good starter car i guess, just go easy with it!

Decent gas mileage, Quite a bit of room in backseat, seats are more comfortable than i thought they would be, above average trunk for size of car, nice speakers.

better wiring job, nicer material for seats.

Not Too Shabby!
By ken1

1998 Kia Sephia 4dr Sedan

Owned since new--11.5 years now. Only lightly used, but fun and peppy engine with manual (Mazda made I think.) Had brake recall and exhaust repair made under warranty. Other than that, only had to replace old battery. Some of the interior fittings are a bit too cheaply made, but if you take care of it, it will take care of you. Very inexpensive to own; costs almost nothing to insure. I have read that due to relatively high HP to weight ratio (125 HP vs 2400 lbs.) some convert this model to rally car. You could not find a less expensive platform than this one!

Engine and manual transmission. Lots of fun to bang it through the gears. Tan fabric interior holds up well over years, as has paint.

Body sheet metal needs to be thicker. Wind noise fairly severe. But remember, this was among the least expensive cars in the U.S in '98! About $7500 new.

My Favorite Car
By Maggie

1998 Kia Sephia 4dr Sedan

I love this car. It was four years old when I bought it used with 30,000 miles on it. It is now nearly 12 years old with over 75,000 miles on it and with regular maintenace has never given me any trouble. Very reliable, parked outside and always starts on cold winter mornings. Have definately gotten my moneys worth out of it, if they still made them I would buy one new!

Fun to drive, very reliable.

Use different material for the dashboard, summer heat warps it. Needs higher quality external paint job. Bring back the Sephia!

Faithful till the end....
By Muttly

1998 Kia Sephia 4dr Sedan

I bought my Kia new in 1998 in FL. It made many cross country trips and up and down the coasts thanks to travel for the military. It was a great reliable car, had good gas mileage and was fun to drive. The only complaints was the electrical system which was sometimes questionable. A blown fuse or connector shut the car down a few times but was a quick, cheap fix. The battery never quite seemed to last and had to be replaced ever other year or so. Handled great and was a blast to drive in curves. Great fuel economy. Was a bare bones vehicle but great for being on a budget. Great for reliability if you just need a dependable mode of transportation. Am looking at a new Kia today.

Price, Kia's can be bought new for the price of most used cars.

In newer models the electrical system has been upgraded. In hindsight I see this as a great start for the Kia brand.

do not buy a 98 sephia
By joe someguy

1998 Kia Sephia 4dr Sedan

I have had this Kia Sephia since 1998 when I got it brand new. What convinced me was the cheap price but two days after I got it the a/c stopped working. And ever since then it has been nothing but new transmissions, dashboards, etc. Now we're having problems with the transmission again, the engine is failing, the brake fluid disappears, the turning pinions rattle, the paint is chipping and the air conditioning broke again.

None. It's a horrible car. I'm never getting a Kia again. And I heard about a guy whose radio caught on fire in a '97 Sephia.

I'm grateful they stopped making it and I wonder if the Spectra and Rio are just as bad.