1998 Kia Sephia - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sephia model:
Ok overall.
By alex_mosley on 09/23/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Kia Sephia 4dr Sedan

I got this car when i was 16(so almost 2 years ago) with 48k miles on it, it now has almost 78k and it has been an ok first car. the main issues i have is, the relay to the fuel pump stopped working so sometimes if it doesn't have a good connection it wont start, it just turns over, and the poor wiring job kia did! the wiring is awful! some lights only come on sometimes but overall everything else is ok. Good starter car i guess, just go easy with it!

Not Too Shabby!
By ken1 on 12/31/09 10:32 AM (PST)

1998 Kia Sephia 4dr Sedan

Owned since new--11.5 years now. Only lightly used, but fun and peppy engine with manual (Mazda made I think.) Had brake recall and exhaust repair made under warranty. Other than that, only had to replace old battery. Some of the interior fittings are a bit too cheaply made, but if you take care of it, it will take care of you. Very inexpensive to own; costs almost nothing to insure. I have read that due to relatively high HP to weight ratio (125 HP vs 2400 lbs.) some convert this model to rally car. You could not find a less expensive platform than this one!

My Favorite Car
By Maggie on 10/17/09 10:42 AM (PDT)

1998 Kia Sephia 4dr Sedan

I love this car. It was four years old when I bought it used with 30,000 miles on it. It is now nearly 12 years old with over 75,000 miles on it and with regular maintenace has never given me any trouble. Very reliable, parked outside and always starts on cold winter mornings. Have definately gotten my moneys worth out of it, if they still made them I would buy one new!

Faithful till the end....
By Muttly on 01/26/07 21:02 PM (PST)

1998 Kia Sephia 4dr Sedan

I bought my Kia new in 1998 in FL. It made many cross country trips and up and down the coasts thanks to travel for the military. It was a great reliable car, had good gas mileage and was fun to drive. The only complaints was the electrical system which was sometimes questionable. A blown fuse or connector shut the car down a few times but was a quick, cheap fix. The battery never quite seemed to last and had to be replaced ever other year or so. Handled great and was a blast to drive in curves. Great fuel economy. Was a bare bones vehicle but great for being on a budget. Great for reliability if you just need a dependable mode of transportation. Am looking at a new Kia today.

do not buy a 98 sephia
By joe someguy on 01/07/07 18:18 PM (PST)

1998 Kia Sephia 4dr Sedan

I have had this Kia Sephia since 1998 when I got it brand new. What convinced me was the cheap price but two days after I got it the a/c stopped working. And ever since then it has been nothing but new transmissions, dashboards, etc. Now we're having problems with the transmission again, the engine is failing, the brake fluid disappears, the turning pinions rattle, the paint is chipping and the air conditioning broke again.

Watch the tranny
By chgobrd on 03/17/06 10:16 AM (PST)

1998 Kia Sephia 4dr Sedan

I have replaced the transmission 4 times on the '98 KIA. I even had to replace the dashboard because it warped. The fan switch has gone out a couple of times.

Good Car Experience
By chance89 on 02/25/05 13:33 PM (PST)

1998 Kia Sephia 4dr Sedan

I have had my Kia for 8 years since I bought it new in 1998. It has been a great reliable car that is fun to drive, even in not so great weather conditions. I would recommend this car to anyone looking for a good car at a great price. This car has taken me up and down the east coast several times and I have only had trouble with it last year when I had some problems with the fuel injection. Had no problems before or since.

beware......
By Ynot on 11/06/04 21:04 PM (PST)

1998 Kia Sephia 4dr Sedan

I got this car with 75000 miles on it, after having the transmission replaced. Now at 94000 transmission is acting up again among many other things. Poor design. Cheap car. Not reliable.

1998 Kia Sephia
By Jim McFarland on 09/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Kia Sephia 4dr Sedan

I am generally pleased with the car, except have had a few mechanical problems. The most expensive being the air conditioning compressor. Fortunately I have an extended warranty coverage and it only cost $35.00 out of pocket. Other problems-(2) rear wheel brake cylinders replaced, also under extended warranty, minimal out of pocket expense.

82,000 Miles Little Problems
By Lawguy on 01/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Kia Sephia 4dr Sedan

Yes there were some recalls. All of these were fixed at no cost to me, so why should I complain? Air conditioner hose broke at the fitting in only 2 years. Hose and repair cost me about $250.00. This item should not have broken quite so fast. Struts went at about 80,000 miles. The strut dealer (KYB) told me this mileage was very good, so again no complaint. Gas mileage around town 32 - 33 mpg Highway 37 - 38 mpg (std 5 speed and no power steering). Out the door in 1998 I paid $9,000.00 Lets see.... Toyota Corolla ... $13,998.00 Kia Sephia ... $9,000+250+180=$9430.00 Yup I'm still ahead even with air and strut repair.