1998 Kia Sephia - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sephia model:
Ok overall.
By alex_mosley on 09/23/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Kia Sephia 4dr Sedan

I got this car when i was 16(so almost 2 years ago) with 48k miles on it, it now has almost 78k and it has been an ok first car. the main issues i have is, the relay to the fuel pump stopped working so sometimes if it doesn't have a good connection it wont start, it just turns over, and the poor wiring job kia did! the wiring is awful! some lights only come on sometimes but overall everything else is ok. Good starter car i guess, just go easy with it!

Not Too Shabby!
By ken1 on 12/31/09 10:32 AM (PST)

1998 Kia Sephia 4dr Sedan

Owned since new--11.5 years now. Only lightly used, but fun and peppy engine with manual (Mazda made I think.) Had brake recall and exhaust repair made under warranty. Other than that, only had to replace old battery. Some of the interior fittings are a bit too cheaply made, but if you take care of it, it will take care of you. Very inexpensive to own; costs almost nothing to insure. I have read that due to relatively high HP to weight ratio (125 HP vs 2400 lbs.) some convert this model to rally car. You could not find a less expensive platform than this one!

My Favorite Car
By Maggie on 10/17/09 10:42 AM (PDT)

1998 Kia Sephia 4dr Sedan

I love this car. It was four years old when I bought it used with 30,000 miles on it. It is now nearly 12 years old with over 75,000 miles on it and with regular maintenace has never given me any trouble. Very reliable, parked outside and always starts on cold winter mornings. Have definately gotten my moneys worth out of it, if they still made them I would buy one new!

fantastic car
By Dareba on 08/13/09 05:19 AM (PDT)

1998 Kia Sephia LS 4dr Sedan

Had this car for only a year, tranny went but that was my fault. Left the e brake up. It's got a lot of power and it'll go forever if you take good care of it.

Served me well
By Eric on 01/27/07 07:50 AM (PST)

1998 Kia Sephia LS 4dr Sedan

I have owned my 98 Kia Sephia basically since new, I got it with about 5,000 miles on it and now it has over 115,000 on it. Parts can be expensive, but the motor has lasted great with no problems. The car shows no signs of quiting anytime soon, has been very reliable over the years, had a few parts break, but that is to be expected when you start putting miles on your car.

Faithful till the end....
By Muttly on 01/26/07 21:02 PM (PST)

1998 Kia Sephia 4dr Sedan

I bought my Kia new in 1998 in FL. It made many cross country trips and up and down the coasts thanks to travel for the military. It was a great reliable car, had good gas mileage and was fun to drive. The only complaints was the electrical system which was sometimes questionable. A blown fuse or connector shut the car down a few times but was a quick, cheap fix. The battery never quite seemed to last and had to be replaced ever other year or so. Handled great and was a blast to drive in curves. Great fuel economy. Was a bare bones vehicle but great for being on a budget. Great for reliability if you just need a dependable mode of transportation. Am looking at a new Kia today.

do not buy a 98 sephia
By joe someguy on 01/07/07 18:18 PM (PST)

1998 Kia Sephia 4dr Sedan

I have had this Kia Sephia since 1998 when I got it brand new. What convinced me was the cheap price but two days after I got it the a/c stopped working. And ever since then it has been nothing but new transmissions, dashboards, etc. Now we're having problems with the transmission again, the engine is failing, the brake fluid disappears, the turning pinions rattle, the paint is chipping and the air conditioning broke again.

Watch the tranny
By chgobrd on 03/17/06 10:16 AM (PST)

1998 Kia Sephia 4dr Sedan

I have replaced the transmission 4 times on the '98 KIA. I even had to replace the dashboard because it warped. The fan switch has gone out a couple of times.

Get Car Go Buy One Now
By Peter on 12/19/05 22:34 PM (PST)

1998 Kia Sephia LS 4dr Sedan

This is a great car. I brought it with 53,000 miles on it and have put another 60,000 on it. The car was inexpensive and parts are a little hard to find but not that expensive at all. Never have to worry if it is going to start in the morning or afternoon. I would recommend to anyone to buy. It is like anything else a car is as good as you treat it and is as reliable as you maintain it. I would drive anywhere in it.

Freekies
By Freekie on 06/29/05 15:51 PM (PDT)

1998 Kia Sephia LS 4dr Sedan

I have own the car since New. Never had any major problems with it. I had to have the rotors replaced but they were done under a recall. I don't take care of it well either. I am lucky if I change the oil once a year and It has almost 78,000 miles on it running like a champ.