Used 1997 Kia Sephia Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Kia Sephia - Consumer Reviews

1997 Kia Sephia Sedan

View reviews for a specific Sephia model:

reliable transportation
By Mbrown602

1997 Kia Sephia Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I know these Kias have gotten a bad rap, but my has been very reliable since I bought it new 7 years ago. When it was still under warranty I had the typical brake problems but then Kia came out with better brake pads and that was it. I have taken this on numerous trips and do a lot of driving for my job and it never lets me down.

Favorite Features

reliability, still good engine power after 100 plus miles.

Suggested Improvements

cup holders could be in better place than in center console, better build too because dashboard's coming apart, radio needs to work in hot weather

A mixture of good, bad, and ugly.
By lawyr2b

1997 Kia Sephia Sedan RS 4dr Sedan

No major breakdowns; overall high reliability but at 70k miles, it is starting to fall apart at the seams! The interior build quality is absolute crap and the interior materials are highly substandard. My dashboard is BURNED from the sun and severely warped (has completely come unglued from the windshield side and has a huge warped bulge). Repeated brake problems that still have not been adequately remedied after taking the car in more than 10 times for service on this problem alone! The air conditioner has been completely out since about a month after the warranty covering it expired (go figure).

Favorite Features

The engine and transmission have been (except for the spark plug wire problem) flawless and reliable. Great power for this size car!!!!

Suggested Improvements

My god, Kia, PLEASE build a car that can withstand normal UV radiation without completely warping the interior vynil; how did the brake problem ever make it into production? Why have you never fixed it? Can you say massive products liability?!

The reason for aspirin invention.
By Rs driver

1997 Kia Sephia Sedan RS 4dr Sedan

I bought this let's call it a car April 5 01. After a week something went wrong and the *Check Engine* sign came up. It is still there.After two months the left rear tire blew up. I changed the whole set of tires. And then I don't remember when but the car started dying on the road. When I make right or left turn, it makes an annoying noise. I had my good times and bad times with this car. I live in Denver Colorado. One day driving to the mountains I raced a ford escourt and I passed him like a bullet. The car runs good but too many engine problems.

Favorite Features

It runs much faster than the Ford Probe I hade. I also beat a friend of mine in racing who drives a 98 Hyundai Elentra.

Suggested Improvements

A new reliable computer system.

better than what has been described
By TWKEEL

1997 Kia Sephia Sedan RS 4dr Sedan

Initially I had some "kinks" that had to be worked out of my Kia. But after rectifying a repetitive brake problem and replacing a set of spark plug wires (that for some reason the dealerships never checked when the car would shutter and die) my lil blue meanie( I have a blue Kia) has been a very reliable vehicle. I have taken it cross country a number of times and am now well passed 100K. I am sure if I kept this car it would zip along for at least another 50-100K miles.

HOPE YOU HAVE A CELL PHONE!
By WATCH OUT!

1997 Kia Sephia Sedan RS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in March of this year. It has been in the shop every month since then. The car constantly stalls & shuts off. Have had multiple O2 sensors replaced, catalit convertor, not to mention the whole computer as well. Thank God it was still under WTY. Not a good car to have if you don't have spare time to be sitting in the shop & getting rentals.

Favorite Features

The alloy rims.

Suggested Improvements

Don't have the car & the cars' computer made in 2 different countries.