Used 1997 Kia Sephia Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Kia Sephia - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sephia model:

Having problems with the idel in this car!!
By rose85bud89

1997 Kia Sephia RS 4dr Sedan

I just bought this car alittle over amonth ago. It is agreat car, but there is something wrong with the idel. When you drive it, its okay...but while you are stopped or in park it idels really high. There is also asmall piece that is on the car, that still works but there is some part broken where the hose is suppose to go, we think that might be the problem, but no one knows what this part is or called just something to do with the idel.

Love how small the car is and how much power it has.

The idel is very off. Aslo when we are stopped it jurks and sputters then idels very high as well...so need some help with this problem.

Low Price Transportation
By manolito

1997 Kia Sephia LS 4dr Sedan

I just bought this 15 exterior color combination with a toredown interior. This little car will get me to school for the next 8 months and I will have no major or minor repairs. Yes, I paid $650.00 for it and I drove 56 miles one way to get it.

make this car electric with bateries in the trunk, I know it can be done!!!

fixer-upper
By paul

1997 Kia Sephia RS 4dr Sedan

I bought this little car last month, and I was pleased at the smooth idle and responsiveness of the engine (148,000 mi!) Runs well, handles well, and has decent gas mileage(28?). A couple of annoyances: the radio doesn't work, and the check engine light is on, and I have no turn signals. I think it will be a good car, though..I'm 6 feet tall and have plenty of room and it seats 4 fairly comfortably. I would not discourage someone from buying a kia, even an old one with a lot of miles.

acceleration,gas mileage, roomy interior and trunk

better materials for interior like the window cranks and dash vinyl.

A bad two and a half year experience
By silver

1997 Kia Sephia LS 4dr Sedan

This is my first car. I bought it used for $700 at about 70K miles. I made a mistake of not running the carfax report because the car was in an accident previously. When I bought it, the radio and interior sucked, the check engine light was on, it turned out to be a dead cylinder! It affected the O2 and MAF sensor that I have replaced 4 times already. I have also installed a rebuilt motor, catalytic converter, alternator, axles, wheel bearings, exhaust pipes, starter electrical switch, starter twice, belts and a host of other parts. I have put in about 8-9K into a car that cost me $700. I've been stranded 4 times and my engine has died on rough idle hundreds of times!

Nothing.

It's suitable for a beginner or someone that does limited driving. I don't plan on buying another Korean car, so I don't care. Although I do think the newer Kias are better.

Kia estimate
By lorraine martin

1997 Kia Sephia LS 4dr Sedan

I have maintained car with oil changes, plugs, etc. New tires - maintenance on it since 1997. It now has 97,256 miles on it. Interior top window dash all bent upward from heat. Fan motor does not turn on to get heat or air - you cannot hear anything. Checking fuse. Has been reliable. The engine light has been on for some time but that has been temperamental. Mechanic checked - okay.

Holds a lot for the size car. Drop down back seat has been handy for long items to extend the trunk area. Enough head room and leg room. Basic car.

Bigger glove box, Visors break down and do not hold securely. They have been sloppy for 3 years.