1997 Kia Sephia - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sephia model:
Having problems with the idel in this car!!
By rose85bud89 on 02/20/11 07:38 AM (PST)

1997 Kia Sephia RS 4dr Sedan

I just bought this car alittle over amonth ago. It is agreat car, but there is something wrong with the idel. When you drive it, its okay...but while you are stopped or in park it idels really high. There is also asmall piece that is on the car, that still works but there is some part broken where the hose is suppose to go, we think that might be the problem, but no one knows what this part is or called just something to do with the idel.

Low Price Transportation
By manolito on 09/26/09 16:21 PM (PDT)

1997 Kia Sephia LS 4dr Sedan

I just bought this 15 exterior color combination with a toredown interior. This little car will get me to school for the next 8 months and I will have no major or minor repairs. Yes, I paid $650.00 for it and I drove 56 miles one way to get it.

fixer-upper
By paul on 05/05/08 06:32 AM (PDT)

1997 Kia Sephia RS 4dr Sedan

I bought this little car last month, and I was pleased at the smooth idle and responsiveness of the engine (148,000 mi!) Runs well, handles well, and has decent gas mileage(28?). A couple of annoyances: the radio doesn't work, and the check engine light is on, and I have no turn signals. I think it will be a good car, though..I'm 6 feet tall and have plenty of room and it seats 4 fairly comfortably. I would not discourage someone from buying a kia, even an old one with a lot of miles.

A bad two and a half year experience
By silver on 04/17/08 16:22 PM (PDT)

1997 Kia Sephia LS 4dr Sedan

This is my first car. I bought it used for $700 at about 70K miles. I made a mistake of not running the carfax report because the car was in an accident previously. When I bought it, the radio and interior sucked, the check engine light was on, it turned out to be a dead cylinder! It affected the O2 and MAF sensor that I have replaced 4 times already. I have also installed a rebuilt motor, catalytic converter, alternator, axles, wheel bearings, exhaust pipes, starter electrical switch, starter twice, belts and a host of other parts. I have put in about 8-9K into a car that cost me $700. I've been stranded 4 times and my engine has died on rough idle hundreds of times!

Kia estimate
By lorraine martin on 02/15/06 16:19 PM (PST)

1997 Kia Sephia LS 4dr Sedan

I have maintained car with oil changes, plugs, etc. New tires - maintenance on it since 1997. It now has 97,256 miles on it. Interior top window dash all bent upward from heat. Fan motor does not turn on to get heat or air - you cannot hear anything. Checking fuse. Has been reliable. The engine light has been on for some time but that has been temperamental. Mechanic checked - okay.

Good build quality, lousy materials
By Ben Dare on 08/02/05 16:28 PM (PDT)

1997 Kia Sephia LS 4dr Sedan

The sign in the Toyota dealership said, "You pay twice for poor quality. Once in repairs and again in resale." How true. This Kia really seemed like a great car. It was faster and felt more substantial than a Civic or Corolla, but that was when it was new. I've never had spark plug wires burn up, or disk disks warp, or dashboards completely rupture. The engine seems OK, but it coughs up oil frequently. All the emission control components have had to be replaced. Meanwhile, I've bought a 1992 Honda Civic which has twice the mileage (230,000) and is worth twice as much. So long Kia!

I love My KIA
By Red on 05/30/05 02:03 AM (PDT)

1997 Kia Sephia LS 4dr Sedan

I bought my Kia with 6,800 miles on it, now I have over 115,000 on it. I have had no issues with the car; replaced plugs, wires, water pump, alternator, 2 sets of CV's on each side, but had no out of the ordinary things go wrong. I have driven it half way across country about 7 times. It has never failed me, never left me stranded. The more I drive it the better it gets. I heard all the bad things about the car, but I guess I got lucky.

My Sapphi
By E on 12/11/04 01:11 AM (PST)

1997 Kia Sephia LS 4dr Sedan

This was a great 2nd car and if I hadn't hurt it so badly it would have carried me all the way through college. It's peppy, moves when you ask it to. Is great for road tripping if you don't mind the lack of cruise control & got good gas milage. It did have it's problems but the car was overall, easy to own. It had smooth shifting and a quiet engine. It was easy to work on as long as you could find the parts. I feel like I got a great value for what I paid for the car.

good value, nagging problems
By spudpapa on 06/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Kia Sephia RS 4dr Sedan

developed idling problem while under warranty. When idling, it goes between not enough and too much gas-runs fine when moving, but dies at stop. I increase idle speed to keep from dying. the prob lasts few days-then goes away a month-then back, etc. Dealer replaced sensor 3 diff. times but only lasted a few days, so I gave up. I mostly put up with it. its a pleasure to drive, handles well in mountains, snow, curves, etc. It's now got over 150,000 miles, and still running strong. no unexpected maintenance (except Idle prob) never not started or left me stranded. Interior shows wear, but good for miles and use. Certainly got my $7500 worth.

My Work Car, the 97 Sephia R.S.
By A. Cook on 04/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Kia Sephia RS 4dr Sedan

This car, for what it cost me and for the way it was designed , wasnt a bad buy.It is easy on gas and tires. The front wheel drive is a god send in the snow and ice. I have had some problems with a sensor going out . Expensive sensor, 310 $ plus labor ! The local dealer wasnt real helpful fixing it and i had to take it to an independent shop. They had it diagnosed in 45 minutes, whereas the dealer couldnt or wouldnt tell me what was wrong with it in 3 seperate trips. Go figure that !