WHAT THE BLEEP HAPPEND TO THE MPG ?!!?!
By amfrost on
2012 Kia Sedona LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)
The sticker states that this minivan get 18 city and 25 hwy, which I expected after purchasing the vehicle. After 2 months and over 1200 miles the best I've been able to get out of it is 16.5 MPG. For a 21.1 size gallon tank, I become extremely aggravated when I can't even drive 300 miles before I'm in need of a fill up. I felt that this was a rock solid value when I purchased it. Everything else about the van meets or exceeds my expectations. But if I wanted such horrendous gas mileage performance I should have just purchased an SUV!
Favorite Features
Cabin noise level is low, rear air control, folding rear seats, easy to use front control panel, handles like a car, not a minivan, which was a surprise.
Suggested Improvements
Lower the sticker to state the true city MPG that this gas hog takes! I doubt carrying a 2 year old and a 4 month old in the back all the time constitute a significant amount of additional weight lowering MPG performance.
By pittsburghguy
on 06/07/12 16:37 PM (PDT)

And how fast are you driving? There may be a problem with the engine tuning, but my wife was complaining about her MPG on her 2012 Sedona. Since she keeps track of gas fill ups, I did some checking. She was probably getting 18 MPG city and on average, 23 MPG highway. She was more concerned with the highway mileage. City driving tends to be very short trips (2 or 3 miles at a time). This can kill you local driving MPG. We went to visit our son some 200 miles away and almost all highway driving. I told her we were going to set the cruise control at 65 mph (the speed limit on the PA Turnpike). At the end of the trip she averaged 29 MPG. Higher than the specified rating. I have done this on other vehicles we own and see the same results. My F150 truck and an 8 cylinder will get 21 mpg at 65 mph, but only 16-17 mpg at 70 mph. The ratings for highway on the vehicle are not based on 70+ mph driving. We are very happy with our Sedona.