Great van with little problems
By Landric on
2009 Kia Sedona LX 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)
I bought this van in 4/10 as a new 09 and got a great deal. Ride quality is nice, the engine is smooth, quiet, and powerful, and the interior is well though out with the exception of the armrests, which are mounted too low on the seats. So far its only got 1600 miles on it, as we mainly use it for family outings and not day to day driving. In that time its been back to the dealer twice because the check engine light came two different times and the battery died once. Kia roadside assistance picked it up when the battery died, and both of the check engine lights turned out to be sensor problems. Hopefully all that is sorted out. I love the van, but not the hassle its been so far.
Favorite Features
Engine quality, ride, safety features, and massive interior room. I really like to drive this van. The roadside assistance is great as is the warranty, just wish I hadn't needed to use them, especially so soon. All the problems, battery included, we fixed free and hopefully the problems are over.
Suggested Improvements
My main complaint is the check engine light coming on due to sensor problems. This is not something that should be happening with a new vehicle. Kia has been great about fixing the problems, but its still a pain. Gas mileage is about what I expected, not good, 23 mpg at best usually around 18 mpg.
By landric
on 03/15/11 14:26 PM (PDT)

Since I posted this review I took the Sedona on a 3000 mile trip to Kansas City and back (about 3100 miles total between the round trip and driving around there). No problems at all on the trip, and gas mileage averaged in the mid 20's, as high as 26 mpg on one leg. The van now has just over 9000 miles on it and hasn't had any more problems. The computer was replaced under warranty the second time the check engine light came on, and that appears to have fixed the problem. I'm very pleased with the Sedona and would recommend it to friends.

By landric
on 03/25/12 02:56 AM (PDT)

I've now spent two years with this van and I am up to about 18000 miles. We took it on a long trip last summer that took us through North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, West Virginia, Virginia, and back to North Carolina. Not a single problem with the van and an overall average of about 23 MPG for the trip. It is still comfortable and has plenty of space of five people (me, my wife, and our three sons, 10, 2, and 2). I've been driving the van back and forth to work for the last couple of months since I sold my old Saturn SL. It gets pretty awful gas mileage around town, sometimes in the low teens, and I am a conservative driver. Overall, the Sedona is still great and I am very happy with the purchase.