Used 2009 Kia Sedona Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Kia Sedona - Consumer Reviews

2009 Kia Sedona Minivan

View reviews for a specific Sedona model:

Great van with little problems
By Landric

2009 Kia Sedona Minivan LX 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this van in 4/10 as a new 09 and got a great deal. Ride quality is nice, the engine is smooth, quiet, and powerful, and the interior is well though out with the exception of the armrests, which are mounted too low on the seats. So far its only got 1600 miles on it, as we mainly use it for family outings and not day to day driving. In that time its been back to the dealer twice because the check engine light came two different times and the battery died once. Kia roadside assistance picked it up when the battery died, and both of the check engine lights turned out to be sensor problems. Hopefully all that is sorted out. I love the van, but not the hassle its been so far.

Favorite Features

Engine quality, ride, safety features, and massive interior room. I really like to drive this van. The roadside assistance is great as is the warranty, just wish I hadn't needed to use them, especially so soon. All the problems, battery included, we fixed free and hopefully the problems are over.

Suggested Improvements

My main complaint is the check engine light coming on due to sensor problems. This is not something that should be happening with a new vehicle. Kia has been great about fixing the problems, but its still a pain. Gas mileage is about what I expected, not good, 23 mpg at best usually around 18 mpg.

Love my Sedona
By LovemyKia

2009 Kia Sedona Minivan LX 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

When I became pregnant with our 2nd child our Toyota Yaris wasn't going to cut it with 2 car seats. We needed something bigger and safe! The Kia Sedona fit our budget and gave us more room. We have had our Sedona for 2 months now and I wouldn't trade it for the world. We bought a 2009 so we got an awesome deal since it's 2010. Coming from a Toyota family I as pretty nervous but it's a GREAT minivan and I feel safe with my family in tow since it's a 5 star rated vehicle.

Favorite Features

DVD player, Sirius radio, power doors, captain middle row seats.

not as expected
By nan

2009 Kia Sedona Minivan EX 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

We rode in 2 Sedonas EX that provided great ride over bumps, etc. However, due to color etc. we bought a different color Sedona EX and find the ride over cracks in the road etc. very uncomfortable. Rides well on smooth roads, but otherwise, like an old truck. Very disappointed in the quality of ride.

Suggested Improvements

The Cruise control works ok, but down steep hills the cruise will jump out of cruise. Better cruise for safety needed.

So far so good
By scott

2009 Kia Sedona Minivan LX 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

Currently have 2500 miles and not one complaint. Drives better than our previous 2003 Odessey and 10K less. KIA/Hyundai is challenging overpriced Hondas and Toyota who are living on undeserved reputations and ripoff dealers. This is not the KIA of 5/10 years ago. Don't be afraid to buy. She's a little thirty with that powerful engine and all the room, but if want great mileage, buy a small Mazda 5 or something similar.

Favorite Features

Solid, powerful, functional, price, warranty.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage

Quiet, tight ride
By sarakr

2009 Kia Sedona Minivan LX 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

Our family has been very happy with our van. We have been surprised at the quality and reliability of he vehicle. It handles very well and has fabulous acceleration. We opted for the power package with power sliding doors and back up assist. The van is an excellent value for the money.

Favorite Features

Excellent acceleration, quiet ride, fold flat third row.

Suggested Improvements

Larger radio knobs, incorporate sunglasses holder in fold down cabin child mirror, all weather mats to match interior. Larger console drawer.